Memorial Day?

is it okay to go shooting on Memorial Day?

• Yes

Votes: 49 89.1%
  • No

Votes: 6 10.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
If my gun club was open today, I'd be there after getting rid of company from the last few days.

Last edited:
No more so than eating BBQ. Can't think of a thing disrespectful about it.

I paid my respects to dad yesterday. I'm not shooting today, but he'd be smiling in heaven if I were to go.

I don't know why it would be. I consider it a celebration of the rights that so many have fought and died to preserve.

Absolutely nothing wrong, and as some have said, appropriate to exercise a cherished right. I went shooting on Saturday; my range is closed today.

You might get some odd responses, OP, because your poll asks if it is OK to shoot, and your opening post asks if it is disrespectful to do so; thus, a "yes" to one questions is "no" to the other.

I have known many of those veterans of WWI, WWII, Korea, and Vietnam who are no longer with us. Some died in combat or as a result of combat injuries, others lived out their natural span. Most of the men (and a few women) I knew would love to be able to go to the range, and I sincerely believe that when I am firing, some of them are there beside me, maybe giving me a little nudge to keep my shots in the black.

Jim

I agree that servicemen and women fought for our rights including the 2nd amendment and if I fire my guns today it would be a salute to those who served and those who gave their lives. Particularly from the 2 battle rifles I have that know more about the atrocities of war than I ever will.

I have known many of those veterans of WWI, WWII, Korea, and Vietnam who are no longer with us. Some died in combat or as a result of combat injuries, others lived out their natural span. Most of the men (and a few women) I knew would love to be able to go to the range, and I sincerely believe that when I am firing, some of them are there beside me, maybe giving me a little nudge to keep my shots in the black.

Jim

That is exactly what came to my mind when I read the question. Although I've never known any WWI vets, I completely agree with you Jim. Well said.

Thanks gang, after seeing the poll and some of the responses, I went down to the creek and blasted a few rounds of bird and buck from my Mossberg Shockwave. Plenty of fireballs to be had!! Happy Memorial Day all, had a good one hope you did to.

I went out shooting both yesterday and today. I also lit up the BBQ and threw a nice t bone on it.

Both things I couldn't do without the sacrifices our brave men and women have made to defend the 2a, which in turn defends the 1st thus allowing sites like this to exist.

I dont think its disrespectful at all. They gave their all to protect our freedoms. Whats more respectful than exercising those freedoms?

Our very first war dead in the Battle of Lexington died in defense of the right to keep and bear arms. Shooting on Memorial Day in particular isn't merely exercising a constitutional right, but is rather a celebration of the liberty only made possible by those who gave everything.

It's more than appropriate.

I hope all you folks had a wonderful Memorial Day.

Shooting is a great way to honor the fallen.

What IS disrespectful are all the stores and car dealers that flaunt their "Memorial Day Sales". In my mind, this is wrong.

Shooting is right.

I was curious why some voted "No" without posting a reason, but then I went back and looked at the question(s).

Poll question:
is it okay to go shooting on Memorial Day?

OP's question w/r/t poll:
Model12Win said:
Do you think it is disrespectful to our war dead to shoot on Memorial Day?

These seem to be opposite and mutually exclusive questions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back