Mel Gibson - PAYBACK

Hey boys, I'm back from Turkey-Land.. Interesting thread, and I am glad that some of you have played the role that I will also choose.. Moderation. I don't think the issue is as clear cut as some would make it out to be.

This is a long one, so grab some popcorn:

While it is true that many influential people are hypocritical, it is also true that many less-influential people (ie- US) have the choice of looking at the glass as half-full or half-empty.

As for Mel's movies, the themes of independence, self-sufficiency, responsibility for one's actions and for one's safety, etc, are almost always exemplified in his movies. I, too , was offended by the anti-gun posters in LW4, but I also saw a whole bunch of scenes where a man used a gun to defend himself or others.

Stallone's infamous comments were not exactly taken out of context, but they were given a whole lot more attention than his subsequent public retraction of the statement about confiscating guns. While he was in Europe filming a movie his "bosses" for that film were commenting on a shooting back here in the states in front of a reporter and he was caught between a rock and a hard place as far as what to say. He agreed with a statement about confiscation under certain circumstances and did say something about it being "a zoo" over here. No, he did not specifiy the circumstances. He could've meant confiscation from school kids, heroin addicts, or middle aged White males... he didn't specifiy.. but he did later retract the statement as it was reported.
Meanwhile, he is an avid shooter and so is his brother. Sylvester has a range in his home and an extensive collection.

Schwarzeneggar hosted an shotgun tournament last year that benefited Ducks Unlimited. A schedule conflict kept me from attending, but I was told that he was very pro-gun with the press in attendance.. it got zero national exposure that I am aware of.

Tom Selleck, Eric Estrada, Robert Stack, Robert Urich have hosted events and shoot regularly. To hear Robert Stack talk about the good ole days in hollywood when Bogart and Sinatra used to have friends over to shoot skeet, etc... is awesome. Stack was a Good Medalist on the US Olympic Shooting team in his day.

Many Country Music entertainers (including Aaron Tippon, John Anderson, Tracey Bird, Alabama, The Mandrell Sisters, Sammy Kershaw, Razzy Bailey, Blake & Brian, Porter Wagoner, The Hager Twins, Skip Ewing, Sahne McAnally, Reba MacEntire, Wade Kimes, Jimmy C. Newman, Billy Joe Royal, Jeanie Seely, Dave Rowland, Crystal Gayle, Jim Ed Brown, Charlie Wlker, Linda Davis, The Wilkinson's Teri Clark) are shooters and appear at or host many events throughout the year to promote shooting and hunting.

Aaron Tippon put on a free concert two nights ago at The National Wild Turkey Federation's convention.

Chuck Yeager and Norman Shwarzkopf are regulars at many hunting and shooting related events.

Jeff Foxworthy is a regular on Realtree Camouflage's videos and television programs and is an avid hunter.

Last week, Dennis Miller did one of his notorious "Rants" on the death of accountability in the wake of the Lawsuits against the gun industry. While he has never been accused of being a pro-gun radical, he did plainly come down against the idea that guns are inherently evil or that anyone but people who use guns illegally should be held accountable.

Leslie Esterbrook (Police Academy Movies' tough girl) has her own series of "how-to" Shooting Videos and competes regularly at Shotgun events.

Several professional wrestlers (Including The Bossman, Mr. Perfect, and The Droz) have particpated in The Buckmaster Classic celebrity hunting tournament.

Professional sports personalities including Stoney Case, Jay Novecek, Jeff Ballard, Al Del Greco, Wade Boggs, Daryl Lamonica, Dave Butz and Charles Davis have all been involved in events that I have attended in the past year.

Marshall Teague (Roadhouse), Gary Chapman (Prime time Country), Robert Carridine (Coming Home), Lu Parker (Miss USA '94), Lane Smith (Louis & Clark), John Laughlin (The Rock), Dick Hardwich (Star Search), T.J. Klay (Western Flyer), Vincent Guastaferro (NYPD Blue), Ron Masak (Murder, She Wrote), Robert Miranda (The untouchables), Charles NApier (The Blues Brothers, Cable Guy, Silence of the Lambs), Johnny DiSanti (Batteries Not Included), Kimberlin Brown (The Bold & The Beautiful), Shari Moss (On Deadly Ground, Mad About You),Jess Walton (Young & Restless), Ken Hanes (Bold & Beautiful), Stephan Henneberry (Amercian Gladiators, "Tower"), and Bruce Channel (writer) may not be the most recognizable names in the industry, but most of them have instantly recognizable faces. They have all particpated in shooting events around the country.

Thomas Boggs was recently listed in George magazine's list of the 50 Most Influential People in Washignton and the bio included a note about his private duck hunts being a "rite of passage" for congressman who hunt. Patton-Boggs is THE lobbying firm in D.C., and it is also a successful nationwide law firm with offices in many major cities. They represented the Tobacco industry during its recent troubles. I had the privilege of hunting with Tom at his farm in Maryland last year and his collection of hunting stories and pictures would instill hope in even the most jaded anti-washingtonian. His sister is Cokie Roberts, famous journalist and talking head, another hunter and another person listed in the 50 Most Influential.

I can't begin to list the number of Congressman and Senators who are shooters, but check out the Congressional Sportsman's Caucus' website to see a list of that organizations members. http://www.house.gov/tanner/congress.htm

Ted Nugent has his own weekly hunting show and video series.

George Bush (Sr. & Jr.) and Ross Perot all bird hunt at the same lodge in central Texas and have been featured in various publications as hunters.

Terry Labonte, Dave Marcis, Dale Earnhardt, Richard Childress, Rick Mast and Ted Musgrave have all represented NASCAR at various shooting or hunting events.

Ted Turner and Jane Fonda have loosened their "elitist" attitude towards hunting and shooting recently.. inviting reporters to their private hunting ranches for interviews and giving them the option of talking about the hunting that goes on their. I don't think anyone has covered it yet in the national press though... go figure.

Harvey Keitel, Curt Gowdy, members of The Oak Ridge Boys, members of Aerosmith, Lou Ferigno, and Bo Derek (in addtion to many people previously mentioned) have all attended at least one trade show that I have been at in the past year.

Furthermore, the outdoor industry has created its own contemporary celebrities, with guys like Bill Jordan, Bill Ruger, Jackie Bushman, Buck McNeely, Gaston Glock and countless TV show hosts and businessmen that have recognizable names and/or faces that extend beyond just the shooting community.

So you see, there are a lot of famous people out there who are pro-gun. In fact, I'd like to see a list of celebrities who activiley participate in ANTI-GUN events. I'll bet the list isn't very impressive.

This post only involves people that I have been directly involved with through one event/organization or another, so there have got to be dozens more names out there. If someone can get a hold of a copy of a program from The Hollywood Celebrity Shoot (formerly The Charlton Heston Celebrity Shoot), they would find literally hundreds of actors and hollywood personalities not listed here. That event has been held for several years in Southern California and has enjoyed a phenominal attendance, given that it is a "local" event.

As I started to say, we, as gun owners and hunters, can look at the positive or the negative. Personally, I'll take the positive outlook when it comes to Hollywood. Until everyone who owns a gun on the silver screen is arrested and put in a concentration camp or until every plot line has a submissive populace or main character that is rewarded by being a sheeple, I'll keep watching characters, specifically "heroes", that act independently, take care of themselves and other less capable characters, using guns against the bad-guys and choose see them as a sign that guns are still as much a part of the American psyche and tradition as automobiles, good lookin' women and cheap beer.
When that changes, when the gun is equated with a swastika, when the "heroes" lay down their guns and everything works out okay, when TNN cancels all the hunting shows (instead of adding more every season), and when atheletes stop accepting invitations to participate in public hunts... that's when I'll consider joining the hollywood boycott and trashing all celebrities as hypocrites.

------------------
-Essayons

[This message has been edited by Rob (edited February 22, 1999).]

ROB, you have way too much time on your hands ! ;)

But wow, you do know your facts !! :)

------------------
"The Gun from Down Under !"

Rob-
Eloquent and factual as always. I still feel the need to get on Mel for the statement at the beginning Of Leathal Weapon 204 and the posters. He certainly has artistic license over this type of input.

To me, he was arguing that heroic *cops* should be trusted with guns (or self reliance); not heroic *individuals*. I have no problem vis a vis hypocrisy...he plays a cop. I do have a *real* problem with a movie that repeatedly demonstrates such blatant disregard for firearms safety (pointing loaded guns at each other for a non-laughable laugh) while making political statements against firearms violence.

If they're so worried about it, they might start teaching kids by example...proper firearms handling is a great start. And it detracts *zero* from the movie.

Rant mode off :)
Rich

[This message has been edited by Rich Lucibella (edited February 23, 1999).]

Rob,
Holy Cow! That's alot of people involved in pro-gun activities. I knew about many of them, but several were pleasant surprises. I have a problem with alot of movies and programs, even the last couple Lethal Weapon movies (the last which I didn't even bother with) when you mentioned that guns were used in self defense. My concern is that most of the time, in movies or in prime time TV, those people using a gun to defend themselves or others are LEO's-to-the-rescue, implying that it's okay for a cop to defend himself, herself, or others from a bad guy, but a law abiding citizen can't, or shouldn't. This is a sorry and dangerous philosophy, or mindset, that may slowly and insidiously continue to brainwash the public through the various media outlets.

Don, Rich,

Your points are well taken. Again, I tend to look at the glass as half full. The point of "heroic" action movies is that people go to them and imagine themselves as the main characters. The imagine themselves as the princess being recused by the jedi-wannabe or the rebellious fighter Pilot. They don't see an on -screen LEO as something that they could not be... At least I don't think they do. They see Mel's characters as one form of what people should try to be, certainly that other charcter represents another side of what people should be, in that he is a devoted family man, as well as a hero. Both of them use guns. Both of them wear and handle guns around their kids.

I'm sure that if you try for a moment, you can think of many scenes in popular movies where non-LEOs use guns to defend themselves or save another person.

I'm not trying to deny the fact that the mass media has an anti-gun slant, just saying that we have to read beyond the right wing "party-line." How can anyone take an anit-gun poster seriously in a movie where every other scene has a gun saving someone's life or stopping a Bad guy ?? I had some respect for one celebrity's anti gun stance, he saw his best friend murdered by robbers just a few feet from him. He survived and was understandably affected by the event. The way I heard the event descirbed it was an extreme example of senseless violence and probably none of us, armed or not, would've made out any better than his friend in a similar scenario. Anyway, I respected him and his position, until he showed up in a blockbuster action movie jam packed full of guns as one of the bad guy's head henchmen. That blew it for me. So as long as Mel or anyone is out there blasting away as the "hero", whether the character be a vigilante, bad guy, or cop, I figure he is not doing much damage to us.

Rich,

I don't think we will ever see "safe-handling" exemplified on the silver screen. The best we can hope for is maybe a nice father-son "gun talk" scene.

Whenever you all get thoroughly disgusted with hollywood and are determined to believe that all they produce is anti-gun, anti-accountability, mind-numbing leftist crap, go to Circuit City, buy a DVD player, get a copy of Red Dawn and watch it until you feel refreshed. The movie features some of todays biggest stars (Charlie Sheen, Jennifer Grey (Caroline in the City, Patrick Swayze, etc..) in one of the ultimate "why we should have guns" movies. I had the chance to speak with Charlie Sheen a couple years ago and we talked about 2 movies for about an hour. The first was one of his Dad's and the second was Red Dawn. Regardless of his indescretions, you could tell that the guy really believed in the messages that movie extended. He's made dozens of "huge" movies, but he talked about RD like he had filmed it the week before, not 12 years. He also talked about learning to shoot with his Dad.
John Milius is one of the best known gun-guys in Hollywood, he takes guns as down payments from studios when he signs on to do a movie. He is the guy who got George Lucas into guns. He usually attends the SHOT Show as a guest of the NSSF and I got to speak with im in Las Vegas at the '98 show. You will be hard pressed to find someone more passionate about firearms than him, anywhere.

Don't give up hope guys!

I would encourage EVERYONE to stay away from the big shoot-em-ups if they are made by those who support anti-gun causes, and Richard Donner of "Lethal" fame is high on the list. I have not seen Payback and will not. Moreover, I am looking for an address for Richard Donner and will send him a letter saying so. One small shout.

Rob,
Thanks for clearing up that Stallone thing. I thought it sounded strange since he had a shooting range under his house. But what still makes me mad is in his movie "Assassins" there is a quick scene where a truck goes by and there is a NRA logo in a circle on the side of the truck with a slash drown through it. I guess it was the directors call.

I remember that scene and I thought it was some sort of ironic humor.

Micheal-

Glad to see that you have become a "member" ;)

I'll see if I can scare you up an address for Donner. Do you know of any actions he has specifically taken on the anti-gun side?

HS,

I don't have any free time left, by the time I get home and then get offline!

Donner's "Lethal Weapon 4" had a big "NO NRA" poster in the background of a scene in the police station (both anti-NRA and making it seem like law enforcement was opposed to the NRA); they also tossed a slur about a guy with a flamethrower "is he the area rep for the NRA" or some such rubbish (funny, I don't ever recall the NRA promoting or even discussing flamethrowers...). It strikes me as pretty hypocritical that Donner makes millions selling movies that show kids the very WORST examples of how to act around a gun, then in the same movie has the gall to criticize an organization that has done more than any other in history to teach gun safety (800,000 students a year). Mr. Donner should take a few percentage points from his many exploitative hyper-violent movies and do some public safety education pieces on gun safety; otherwise he should keep his mouth shut. He won't see another penny of my money.

Maybe a letter campaign to Warner Bros indicating a desire to boycott Donner and such films might make a difference - it would have to be a BIG one. I'll scratch my head on this for a bit.

Well, Like I said about that movie earlier, in relation to Gibson's role, you can get caught up in a detail or you can look at the big picture and stress the favorable things.

Is the situation perfect? NO
Is the Lethal Weapon Series pro-gun propaganda? No

Are there worse things? Yes, IMHO, much.

I have listed dozens of pro-gun celebrities, vertainly, someone can find at least one that has attended a HCI convention, or shown up at an Anti-gun Rally?
I know that at least one singer had a "guns for tickets" thing going on a year or two ago.. at least that is a start. Let's find a real target that is 100% anti-gun, if we can.

I really like your idea about the campaign against the publishers of major magazines which ONLY show negative sides of guns. At least the movies show guns being used for good ends.

------------------
-Essayons

My disappointment with Arnold goes back
to when he totally abandoned his conservative positions to suppport
Uncle Teddy when it looked like we had a
chance to replace him. OTOH, alot of us
do thing that we really don't want to do
to keep peace with the spouse. Jim

BTW, I saw Tom Selleck speak at a Goldwater Institute dinner a few months ago. He is clearly a believer in freedom, although I must admit, he has probably given better speeches.

And, the guy isn't doing too badly - he scored pretty well in 'In and Out' I believe (albeit, a tough way to earn a buck ;) ).

Rich, I think we need to take up a collection to buy Rob more popcorn. ;) When does he find time to shoot?

And, with regards to the glass being 'half full or half empty', my favorite response is that 'I just have a little more glass than I need'! ;)

[This message has been edited by Jeff Thomas (edited February 23, 1999).]

Back