MEC Progressive

I have two 9000G's a 12 & 20 plus a Grabber in 28 bought it because the price was right and didn't figure I would load as many 28's so why not. Well hindsight being 20-20 should have bought another 9000G, its just plain smoother. I've had these for probably 15 years plus when ever the 9000G came out only problem was the advance piston wore out on the 12 and MEC replaced it for free. Main problem for me with the Grabber is the manual advance at times.
I started with a 600Jr 30 years ago had up to four at one time.

Concerning another problem I had setting it up, I called MEC on Friday. He was very patient and helpful. The problem was fixed in a jiffy. I suspect to fix the problem with the primer drops I will need to tweak the drop tube, but before doing so I will call the same guy at MEC.

Old Curly on SGW should work for MEC. He has dissected every type they make and has posted excellent tutorials with pics, especially for the collet and primer feed areas. Might want to check them out.

BJ P, I mean BJP not BJ:D, wrote
and you'll be fine....

I am fine, just neither pecunious nor impecunious. I think the best descriptor is "cheap".

I may send you a message about one adjustment that no one has mention, even on SGW, if I can't figure it out. One thing. This baby cranks them out!

Manual index

I like the manual index on the Grabber. I use that motion to also visually confirm primer drop, and shot drop.

One can quickly crank out a lot of quality reloads with the MEC. They are easy to fix, fast, and low priced.

What's not to like?

I bought an old old old Grabber off Ebay, It was missing the primer feed, and needed some serious cleanup and lubrication.

All told I have about 125.00 bucks in it, and it runs flawlessly.

$125 for a Grabber, including fixing it up like that, is a winner. They usually go for $200 and up. BJP originally suggested that I get a Grabber or better yet a 9000, but I went with a used Sizemaster. It served me well, but if I had gone with a Grabber it would still be more than enough for my present needs and I wouldn't bother upgrading to a 9000. In fact, a lot of folks with a 9000 disconnect the auto advance mechanism. Since I needed (or wanted) something that would get the job done more quickly and less pulling of the handle than a Sizemaster I opted to spend a few more bucks. Primarily since the day may be here in a few years when I won't be able to pull that handle at all and need an automate.

Finding a good used machine ( if its been taken care of can be a great deal )....but I see so many used reloading machines at the gunshows or in garage sales --- that have been abused and bubbafied with fixes or adaptations that make no sense / and some that would be hard to repair / or even cost prohibitive to repair ....that it means you really need to understand what you're looking at if you buy a used machine.

In the new machines ...Grabber vs 9000 GN ...it's only a $ 90 difference in the cost... ( $400 vs $ 490 ) / and then you know you have a solid machine right from the start.

And if you take care of the machine ...often you can sell it used 10 - 20 yrs from now, for probably more than you paid for it originally ...if you don't pass it down in the family - even after you're loaded tens of thousands of shells with it...

A new 9000 GN is a solid machine ....and I think Dreaming made a smart choice...:D

A new 9000 GN is a solid machine ....and I think Dreaming made a smart choice...

You say that as though you were surprised that I could make a smart choice.:rolleyes: Perhaps because I got what I wanted and not just what I needed. After 3 years I think I will stick with this shooting thing for a while, even if it gets a little pricey.

Back