Mec Gar P226 magazine problems (Taurus G2C)

Two questions, first are your guns clean? Second have you had someone else shoot your guns you are having problems with, may be shooter induced?

FWIW I have never had a problem with Mec Gar mags and use them in 5 or 6 guns of mine.

Picked up a G2C recently, and the Mec Gar P226 magazines I have FTFEED often. This isn't just these magazines. I have owned Mec Gar magazines for a 92fs and a Mark 3 and it does it on ALL of them.

Anyone know how to fix this? 3rd time is not the charm with Mec Gar in my experience. :mad::confused:
In my Ruger Mark III the factory mags work better than my Mec-gar mags. They look pretty much the same but the factory mags feed better. Overall though Mec-gar mags work fine my other handguns.

Last edited:
I think the point by the OP is that he has multiple MecGar magazines for multiple pistols and besides not working in the G2C they also don't work in the pistols they were meant for. The malfunction shown is, from what I gather, indicative of the malfunctions he's getting with the other pistols and serves as a reference for us.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Correct

I am the primary shooter with these magazines no one else. The guns are clean.

I will go to the range next week and get a photo of the G2C magazines. From my understanding and reading online its a weak follower/spring that causes them to "TILT" and not feed proper.

Or possible, I have also read that its "cheap" ammo and the springs require a higher power, to cycle the gun faster so it DOESNT JAM. I do not think its this case as I have used multiple brands of ammo for the .22lr and 9mm.

Last edited:
Never had an issue with mecgar mags across multiple platforms. In fact, I trust them as much as factory OEM's and indeed many times they manufacture the OEMs. Taurus doesn't exactly scream quality you know.

Sorry for the delay, here are the 3 photos whats happening in my G2C, and no my hand/fingers are not touching the magazine at all.

The first two photos is the round jaming up into the frame and barrel, on the final picture the slide doesn't lock all the way back on the mec gar magazine and gets stuck on it, if you look closely its actually pushing the round DOWN while the slide is BACK.

Happens at random, I usually get 3 or 8 jams a magazine.. I never made it through one magazine without some type of failure. The factory ones run flawlessly.

Attachments

• g2c1.jpg
    g2c1.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 55
  • g2c2.jpg
    g2c2.jpg
    143.1 KB · Views: 50
  • g2c3.jpg
    g2c3.jpg
    178 KB · Views: 50
Last edited:
The Mec-Gar magazine in my RIA 9mm 1911 quickly found residence in a trash can where it should have been put right out of the box. I have since used Wilson Combat, and Metal Form mags. Not a single problem since I got rid of the factory magazine.

For some reason by design the Mec Gar have weak lips on the top. The first round chambers, and the jarring of the slide causes the round under the slide to pop loose. When the gun fires the slide goes rearward, ejects the spent round. When it goes forward there is now a loose round, and the one in the top of the magazine causing a double feed.

My RIA had this problem with the factory supplied Mec Gar. It is the only one I have had experience with. After that experience I do not have high expectations for them.

I have owned literally dozens of MecGar magazines and not had this issue. I can't discount it, but I can't call it common from my experience and the experience of others I know personally and on here.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Can you measure the distance from top of the bullet to the chamber (or top of slide) and compare the 2? It's possible that even though it latched correctly the feed lips might be lower or higher than the factory magazines.

So you're saying that your MecGar mags nosedive, and cause rounds to stand up vertically in all your guns? That's so strange, I've never had a problem with mine. Were your mags purchased new or used / old?

For cross-compatibility, you have to be careful. While the MecGar mag may fit and "click" in, the differences in the follower and height of the magazine/feed lips and position of the mag catch may differ than the factory Taurus mag.

You could take the slide off the gun and just eyeball it: how high do the feed lips go with the factory mag in place? How high do the MecGar feed lips go? Try it with a round in the mag if you can't tell with an empty mag. But don't forget to safety check when you reassemble.

If you have dial calipers, or digital calipers, measure from the top of the mag catch hole to the top of the feed lips at the front using the large jaws. Do this for both the factory and Mec Gar mag to compare. Your picture of a round completely standing up is so bizarre to me, IMO there has to be a LOT of empty space in that area for this to happen. This makes me think your mec gar mag sits too low, which may mean the mag catch cutout is higher up on the mag than is optimal. But it's not like you can tailor it if that's the case because you can't just ratchet the whole magazine upwards, you are limited by the base plate, length of mag, and existing hole kind of puts a damper on things.

In my pistols, if a round has moved forward enough to come out from underneath the feed lips, it's pretty much been chambered. There's just not enough free space for that to happen. I've never had a round stand up like that.

If you have really old mags, then yes new mag springs may help.

good luck.

Thank you for the reply, I will try this later tonight.
My mec gar magazines are new, and recently bought in June from gun mag warehouse.

Update
Bought a g3 from Taurus, the 18 round works flawless in the g3.
I have a 15, 17 for the G3 and my original 2x 18 mec gars.

The g3 has yellow followers, my mec gar is black. The taurus mec gar supplied magazines feel firmer on the follower, the mexlc far 18 not so much.

Good to know I'm not out $50 on two magazines, but good to know taurus magazines are better with the yellow follower.
Assuming the g2c doesnt like 18 rounders with weak follower. I do need to test the new 15 and 17 magazines from g3 in my g2c next.

I've never had a single issue with a Meg-Gar magazine, in anything I've had. I can't say the same for other brands.

Back