Meaty part of the finger....hogwash!!

Are we talking target, or combat? In target it is very important, in combat(which usualy occurs at close range in seconds) not so much. Practice is the answer, you will respond as trained, if you score hits in the desired area with your technique, by all means use it. As instructors , it is our job to teach the unskilled, not reform the proficient shots.

Quote From Glock 31: On tough actions, I would suggest actually holding onto your wrist with your free hand to maintain aim.

Did you learn that in class as well? :)

If you shoot well with your finger hooked around the trigger then that works for you, but you shouldn't be so adament in you condemnation of pressing the trigger since all 3 instructors I've trained with all taught finger pad press to prevent "hooking" your shots (we were using semiautos).

MN Gunner, thanks for the video clips!

Long fingers

There's no way I could use the pad of the finger, my fingers are too long. I tried pulling the trigger with the pad but it required adjusting my grip to "shorten my finger reach". Not only was it uncomfortable and awkward, but I found I was pushing my shots left of center. Now I don't worry about how much finger I put through the trigger guard, my pull is smooth and straight back, my my grip is good, and my shots are on target.

Simplify this debate. :rolleyes:
For right-handers...
Left-handers adjust accordingly...

If you "grab too much trigger", the barrel will tend to pull to the "right" and rise a little...

If you "press too little trigger", (Way out on the finger tip.) you will tend to push the barrel to the "left" and possibly a little down...

It has been said, earlier in this thread, that people have different length and sizes of hands and fingers...
it is precisely for this reason that the "teaching tool" of using the center of the first finger-pad is used in training!

If you cannot "reach" the trigger with your finger pad without keeping a pencil sized space between your gun and the base of the trigger finger... YOUR GUN DOESN'T FIT YOUR HAND!

The Bottom Line is;

IF you can "press" the trigger in any manner that will cause it to travel consistantly straight back, to the release point...

Then, it doesn't make a particle of difference how the hell you hold the trigger... :rolleyes:

"But, those who practice these methods
Tried and true...
Will be more consistant,
In outshooting you..."

Good form, old boy, good form!

:D :D :D

Back