Meat and potatoes .270

i just bought a remington SA 700 sps in .260 with a 24 inch barrel for under 500.00, with remington factory 140gr bullets and a leupold 3x9 scope from a rest clay birds on the 300 yard berm are not missed even with the so called cheap syn stock. and with good reloads i think it will do better. eastbank.

I'm a huge Model 70 fan. My main hunting rifle is a Model 70 Featherweight. Its the FN version and the barrel being free floated isnt affected by heat that my other Featherweights are.

Winchester isn't the only rifles I have by a long shot, they are just my favorite.

I also have a few Ruger American Predators. Moderately priced at >$400. But every one is extremely accurate. An example my RAP in 6.5 CM is as accurate as my Ruger Precision Rifle in 6.5 CM.

The 270 with proper bullet solection is an accurate long range hunting rifle, and also would work as a Long Range Target rifle.

The OP asked about a no frills, moderately prices 270 Win. he should check out the Ruger American.

Watch some YouTube videos on the Ruger American. You'll be impressed with what people are doing with these rifles accuracy wise.

The 270 is an excellent hunting round. Its capable of taking any game in North America. I use the 150 gr bullets for elk, but unless you are hunting elk stick with the 130s. The 150s are over kill on deer and antelope. The Hornady 150 IBs I use, leave an exit hole you can drive a truck through on the smaller animals.

I've been reading lately a lot of post in different sites that the 270 is dead. Not buying it. I think people come up with that simply to justify buying another rifle.

Nothing wrong with buying other rifles, I've been known to do that, but certainly not because the 270 Win is dying. Like I said, its my "go to" hunting round.

Light rifle you can carry all day without undo recoil, yet super accurate and effective even at longer ranges.

You'll like a 270 Winchester having owned a 308. One tiny complaint by many shooters is the lack of bullet offerings for the 270. Given some thought the 270 caliber/cartridge doesn't need a rainbow of different bullet weights. Quite un-like those 30 cal bullet shooters. 270s 100gr.-130-150s gets the job done from mice to moose and everything in-between. 270s accuracy is second to non and its reputation to drop heavy weight big game with a single shot is outstanding. Especially when its hunter is hunting in mountainous terrain you want that kind of cartridge performance.

In your neck of the woods where you hunt. Little doubt. You will witness the awesome performance the venerable 270 provides.

If your a home reloader Who Dey William. 270 130 gr is the most accurate bullet of those offered. Such bullet it can be either hand loaded or store bought to where shock & awe velocity begins. >3200 fps. Such slamming hard energy will momentarily puff up the hair on a white tail deer to where it resembles a canary fluffing up its feathers.

Saddly there is one problem with the ownership of a 270. Its such a versatile cartridge. (hunting/benchrest) Those other rifles someone may own 308-30-06 243. {Due to so little use} Their hunting with becomes null and void undoubtedly cleaned and oiled for long term cased in the closet or become safe queens. "Once a 270 is brought home."

I own a .270. If you were going to own one rifle and hunt "everything in North America" with it the .270 is proven to be able to do just that.

However it starts to suffer from a reverse Goldilock's syndrome. While it is capable of being used as a varmint rifle it is clearly overkill for it. The same can likely be said for antelope and whitetail under the vast majority of circumstances. There are lots of sub .270 rifles that will be adequate for that type of game (for me its the .243).

Let's get to the sweet spot: Elk. I think the .270 might be the perfect elk rifle.

Then you get into the "its adequate but marginal" category. Moose, aggressive bear, etc. Yes the .270 is plenty but if I was in an area where aggressive bear were likely to be encountered I would like something bigger. For the record, and for me, this means .375 Holland and Holland. Plenty of people will point to the .30 calibers, a .338, or something else here but that's all up for debate.

When you are discussing augmenting a .308 with a .270 I am kind of left wondering about the why. The .308 and .270 seem to have a tremendous amount of overlap to each other and I am not sure what one is going to do that the other is not going to do.

But, in the end, this was not the question the OP asked. The OP stated he wanted a no-frills .270 in the sub $700 range. To me the no frills price range rifles are defined very well today by Ruger, TC, Savage, and Mossberg in their various lines. And for the record many of these "no-frills" rifles boast reported accuracy out of the box that should shame their "lots of frills" high end brothers.

I, too, would be looking in the used-rifle racks. That's where many a good bargain can be found. Also, there are more 270 Winchesters to be found than any other bolt-action-centerfire, except for 30-'06.

Take a look at the Mossberg Patriot mine came with Vortex Crossfire II 3-9x40 for 500

At this point, getting a Mossberg Patriot this year, I'd also go with the Patriot.One thing would change though, shooting within 200 yds, I get the 7mm-08. I think all the Patriot's come with a 22" barrel.

FYI
There is some support to the idea that the 270 would have fallen flat on it's face if not for the writings of Jack O'Conner.

Looking at the used rifle racks is a good idea. I would go the Weatherby/Howa route. Short action cartridges are very trendy right now and a lot of people seem to be pushing them. I have killed scores of deer from 10 to 400 yards with my .270. It has been my go to rifle for 20 years over my .308, 3006 and 300 wsm. My .270 just puts meat on the table with manageable recoil and good follow up shots. Being happy with your choice and learning YOUR rig is more important than caliber. Have fun picking out your new rife!

Who Dey William, You did manage to get 308 without any help and I would get 270 if that's what you want vs what others thing you should get. I sure like mine.

There is some support to the idea that the 270 would have fallen flat on it's face if not for the writings of Jack O'Conner.

I sometimes wonder about how different we would view the 280 if that was what O'Conner wrote about as opposed to the 270. It's also interesting to note at one point he even said the 280 was superior.

270 is a dandy round but a lot about it has been romanticized.

VoodooMountain said:
270 is a dandy round but a lot about it has been romanticized.

I don't know if its been romanticized, fact is it simply works on most game equally as well as larger cartridges. Same can be said for many other smaller that .30 caliber cartridges. I think the .280 Rem has been romanticized more by those whishing it was more popular than the .270 Win. I'm not knocking the .280 Rem but it doesn't do anything better in the field than the .270 Win when it comes to hunting.

As far as to the OP's question about what rifle to buy. I'd look for a M70 Classic in stainless steel, but it'll be more than $700 usually. Second option I'd go to Wal-Mart and buy a $370 M700 ADL, replace the trigger with a Timney, and find a B&C #2950 Mountain TI ADL stock in his choice of color. This again will probably be slightly over $700 but it'll make a very nice package that'll be a joy to hunt with.

Not much difference between the 270 and 280, the 280 has a little more cross section to push against while the 270 runs a little higher pressure. Real world performance you would not be able to tell one from the other without looking at the headstamp, unless you handload that is, push a 280 to 270 pressure (safe in bolt actions) with long high BC bullets and you might see a difference. All in all I have had better luck with 270 bores then 7mm and I have owned several of each, 7mms for whatever reason have just been more finicky, My 270 WSM will shoot circles around all four 7mm Rem Mags I have owned.

"I would buy a used post-'64 model 70 Winchester rather than a new Remington 700."

The post-64 M 70 is to the pre-64 what the current Rem 700 is to the 700 of the 1970's.

My Remington XCR 270 is a tact driver and has taken several deer. Love it will shoot any ammo in black and handliads well under a inch. Has Leupold 3x9x40 VX2 on it. Winchester good rifle but new featherweight I had was not accurate at all with handloads or factory ammo. I had one in 30-06 that would shoot good but would beat you to death. Tikka I had wasn't that great either cheap stock and only fair shooter. I have settled after a bunch of different rifles on Remington Savage and Ruger all good guns. My CZ is too they are on heavy side though only fault.
Roc1

"I would buy a used post-'64 model 70 Winchester rather than a new Remington 700."

The post-64 M 70 is to the pre-64 what the current Rem 700 is to the 700 of the 1970's.

The bit in quotes was comparing your first term to your 3rd term and I think his point was that even a post64 win beats a current Rem. I have no dog in the fight, but I badly want an M70 of some flavor, though I recently bought a Tikka, and the brand new Remingtons on the shelf at LGS all had significant cosmetic flaws.

The current Winchesters have been frequently reviewed as the best Winchesters ever made.

Back