McCain pledges support to gun owners

W.E.G.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/05/16/AR2008051603640.html

LOUISVILLE, May 16 -- Sen. John McCain, once derided as one of the "premier flag-carriers for the enemies of the Second Amendment" by the National Rifle Association, enthusiastically embraced the group's pro-gun agenda at its annual convention here Friday.

In front of a crowd of about 6,000 people who gave him two standing ovations, McCain also mocked Democratic Sen. Barack Obama as a liberal, anti-gun politician and made a direct appeal to the "bitter" voters Obama said were clinging to their "guns or religion" to soothe concerns about their economic struggles.

"The Second Amendment isn't some archaic custom that matters only to rural Americans who find solace in firearms out of frustration with their economic circumstances," McCain said.

McCain, who is viewed with suspicion among many gun owners because of his efforts to reform campaign finance laws and his decade-long battle with the NRA over background checks at gun shows, sought to mollify his conservative critics by declaring fealty to the Second Amendment. The presumptive GOP nominee did not abandon his support for background checks, but he tried to cast his disagreements with the NRA as isolated cases separate from otherwise solid support for gun rights.

"For more than two decades, I've opposed efforts to ban guns, ban ammunition, ban magazines and dismiss gun owners as some kind of fringe group unwelcome in 'modern' America," McCain said. The Second Amendment, he said, "guarantees an individual right to keep and bear arms. To argue anything else is to reject the clear meaning of our Founding Fathers."

The NRA appearance continued the political Ping-Pong game that is McCain's campaign, as he seeks to distance himself from President Bush and his party one day and then court the conservative Republican base the next.

Last week's pledge to appoint conservative jurists was followed quickly by Monday's break with Republican orthodoxy on global warming. On Thursday, he vowed to end "hyper-partisanship" and work with Democrats, but on Friday, he joined Oliver North, Karl Rove and Mike Huckabee as a featured speaker at the gun show.

It is a delicate and deliberate balancing act that aides say is designed to reinforce the maverick brand that separates McCain from the rest of his party without angering the traditional core of conservative Republicans. McCain's top strategists say that their candidate will not win in November merely by rallying the GOP base but that he cannot win without it, either.

Key to running against Obama, they say, is attracting white working-class Democrats -- many of whom are gun owners -- to the Republican column. "We're not trying to get a majority of blue-collar Democrats. But if McCain were to get, say, 20 percent nationally of blue-collar Democrats, he wins," McCain senior adviser Charlie Black told reporters recently. But, he added: "We know we have to unify our base and get them to turn out."

Democrats responded quickly to the event, accusing McCain of seeking the blessing of the NRA for crassly political reasons. McCain "definitely has his full pander on in Louisville today," said Democratic National Committee spokesman Damien LaVera.

At the gun show, Huckabee, a former rival for the Republican nomination who is known for his sense of humor, made an awkward joke after hearing a loud sound during his speech. He quipped, "That was Barack Obama. He just tripped off a chair. He's getting ready to speak and somebody aimed a gun at him and he -- he dove for the floor."

During his speech, McCain ridiculed Obama's knowledge of guns and hunting by quoting a recent comment Obama made about using a "six-shooter" in a duck blind. "Someone should tell Senator Obama that ducks are usually hunted with shotguns," McCain said to laughter and applause.

McCain accused Obama and Democratic Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton of hiding their true stripes by avoiding any mention of gun-control measures they support as they campaign. "If either Senator Clinton or Senator Obama is elected president, the rights of law-abiding gun owners will be at risk," McCain told NRA members.

But McCain himself is viewed with alarm by plenty of gun owners and many in the gun-rights leadership. In 2001, he championed efforts in several states to close the gun-show loophole that allows firearms to be purchased at the shows without background checks.

His starring appearance in several television ads on behalf of gun-control referendums, and his later sponsorship of a federal gun-show bill, caused the NRA to label him an enemy of gun rights and liberal groups to proclaim him one of their favorite lawmakers.

"John McCain was our number one hero," said Jim Kessler, a founder of Americans for Gun Safety, a gun-control group for which McCain filmed a movie trailer and for which his campaign manager, Rick Davis, was a consultant.

"They were bitter enemies, the NRA and John McCain," Kessler said. "They spent month after month just going after him."

In 2001, upset about the effect McCain's campaign finance reform would have on the NRA's ability to influence elections, former NRA head Wayne LaPierre, according to the Louisville Courier-Journal, asked NRA members: "Is it possible that John McCain thinks you have too much freedom?"

This week, however, LaPierre seemed to have put the matter behind him. "I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree on those."

Campaigning in West Virginia before the NRA speech, McCain said that he wholeheartedly supports the NRA and its goals and that he is looking forward to again receiving the group's endorsement.

"We've had a disagreement on the gun-show loophole. That is a specific disagreement on an aspect that I believe was a way for people who shouldn't acquire weapons or guns to do so," he said.

In his speech, McCain vowed to protect the rights of gun owners by appointing judges and Supreme Court justices who would respect the wishes of the nation's founders.

Gee a campaign promise

and we all know that these promises are not just to get your vote. They are always they way a candidate acts after the election. No candidate has ever performed different that thier campaign premised they would.

Campaign promises :barf: :barf: :barf:

I don't have any love for McCain... as far as I'm concerned all the "front-runners" are just as bad as each other, just in different ways. However, McCain's voting record on the 2A is not bad.... I would tend to believe him on this one.

I don't trust McCain. Ever since he was investigated by congress in the savings and loan scandal in 1989, he has been someone I would not trust in a position of power. Now that I have the opportunity to vote for him in November, I will take a pass. Trust McCain with our 2nd amendment rights? Never!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keating_Five

The Keating Five were five United States Senators, who were accused of corruption in 1989, igniting a major political scandal as part of the larger Savings and Loan crisis of the late 1980s and early 1990s. The five senators, Alan Cranston (D-CA), Dennis DeConcini (D-AZ), John Glenn (D-OH), John McCain (R-AZ), Donald W. Riegle (D-MI), were accused of improperly aiding Charles H. Keating, Jr., chairman of the failed Lincoln Savings and Loan Association, which was the target of an investigation by the Federal Home Loan Bank Board.

After a lengthy investigation, the Senate Ethics Committee determined in 1991 that Alan Cranston, Dennis DeConcini, and Donald Riegle had substantially and improperly interfered with the FHLBB in its investigation of Lincoln Savings. The Committee recommended censure for Cranston and criticized the other four for "questionable conduct."

All five of the senators involved served out their terms, but only Glenn and McCain ran for re-election (and were subsequently re-elected).

Notice, of the 5 implicated in the scandal, 4 of them were Democrats. Even back then, McCain was flirting with Democrats.

If you won't trust McCain, I guess you feel you can trust your 2A rights to Barack Obama or Hilary Clinton. Not at all, you will say, you're voting for Libertarian, or a write-in for Ron Paul, or something similar. You can rationalize all you want about voting your conscience, but elections determine who wins and who loses. A vote for the Libertarians (Michael Medved accurately calls them the "Losertarians" for their tiny vote numbers in national elections) still ends up being a vote for the Democrats. As Michael Savage has stated, he doesn't like John McCain, but he'd rather support McCain who is 35% conservative than see Clinton or Obama get elected since they are both 0% conservative.

Last edited:
If you won't trust McCain, I guess you feel you can trust your 2A rights to Barack Obama or Hilary Clinton.

Yawn. Same old response from the peanut gallery. No, sir, I will trust my 2nd amendment rights to the only conservative on the ballot in November.... Bob Barr. You may feel free to vote for one of the two liberals on the ballot, of course. http://www.bobbarr2008.com/

Guilt by accusation.....

Now if he was a gun owner accused by the Feds....

WildyoupickyourpositionsbasedonyourownworldviewsiguessAlaska ™

Re: FireMax

If someone other then Clinton, Obama, or McCain is elected President, I'll send you a case of your favorite beverage.

Firemax: Voting for Barr will get you what? President Obama or President Clinton? You can yawn all you want, but if you truly care about your gun rights, and don't want to just self righteously rant and rave when you lose those rights, McCain in still the best choice we have right now.

vito
but if you truly care about your gun rights, and don't want to just self righteously rant and rave when you lose those rights, McCain in still the best choice we have right now.

You think that me voting for the only conservative in the race is self righteous? I don't see it that way vito.

Things certainly do seem backwards this go around. I am being lectured on a forum by someone whom I assume believes he is a conservative and pro-gun, suggesting that I vote for a liberal who doesn't even own a gun (McCain) and not to vote for a conservative and NRA board member (Barr).

What a strange election year this is.

royreali
If someone other then Clinton, Obama, or McCain is elected President, I'll send you a case of your favorite beverage.

Thanks. That's really nice of you. Pinot Noir, Oregon or Italian... should it work out.

As a congressman, McCain voted against the AWB. Please read Obama's platform on his webpage. Ban on semi-automatic guns. Federal ban on concealed carry. etc. There is a huge huge difference between the two.

Did anyone see the recent Survivor episode where the group promised to not vote someone off so he didn't play his hidden immunity idol? He believed them and was voted off. Some of them even crossed their fingers behind their backs.
I believe McCain just as much.

Do the math

If anyone can beat the extreme left candidates coming from the democrats it is McCain.

In this case, the enemy of your enemy is your friend. In December you can go back to pointing fingers. The critical interests are the nominations to the Supreme Court, not who is the "most" conservative (fringe) candidate.

Oh, and by the way, I would rather be attacked from the front than stabbed in the back.

the enemy of your enemy is your friend
Correction: The enemy of my enemy is my enemy's enemy. Nothing more.

How much are pledges worth, with a hostile congressional majority?

Latest predictions have the congressional democrats winning big in November. How big? How about veto-proof majority in both houses...McCain could promise anything and deliver nothing, if that were the situation. And the pragmatists would likely excuse McCain for not issuing meaningless vetoes, because he has to work with what he's got.

Look at the latest developments: Obama attracts 75,000 in Portland, OR; vs. McCain flubbing weak laugh lines on Sat. Night Live...a few more months like that, and McCain will continue to fall far behind. Short of Obama having another Rev. Wright x10 - type incident, I wouldn't spend much time worrying about the question posed by the OP.

The Republican party needs to spend more time on getting their senators/congressmen re-elected and less time on McCain.

The Republican party needs to spend more time on getting their senators/congressmen re-elected and less time on McCain.

Bingo!!!! The RNC needs to throw MCCain to the wolves and put its money on the House and Senate races. Especially the Senate races.

Well the president is the one signing things into law, I doubt McCain would refuse to sign any AWB legislation that the gun haters might try to pull, the only real option is to try to make sure no AWB legislation gets passed. So you need to concentrate on promoting pro-2ndmadment candidates at the lower levels of government.

Back