Maybe I've met my match

603Country

The wife feeds hummingbirds. I feed every other type bird. The sneaky squirrels are often in the feeders eating their weight in what's intended for the birds. So...I have my Marlin 39A by the back door. Lately I've encountered the most evasive squirrel ever. He'll see me watching him through the back window, but the moment I open the back door that squirrel is in Star Trek hyperdrive and heading for the woods (about 40 yards). He actually keeps trees between him and me. I NEVER get a shot at the little SOB. If it was only once that he did that, I wouldn't think it was intentional. This is one smart little rodent that has been trained in evasive maneuvers. I've considered putting up a ladder stand, but my wife would laugh at me and tell the neighbors, so I shelved that idea. I can't go out the front door and work my way around the house because I won't have a shooting lane. I'd be either by by the truck and shooting toward the LP tank or by the LP tank and shooting toward the truck. That's not good. Any ideas from you guys? Maybe one of those sticky mouse trap things would slow the little SOB down. This little guy is GOOD!

Don't follow him in the woods!!!

army_squirrel_thumb%5B1%5D.jpg

He's setting you up for an ambush.

BTW, move the truck.

Try setting there with the door standing open. As a last resort set out a rat trap baited with peanut butter. BTW, squirrels are excellent eating.

What brand/type camo are you using????? Maybe he's gotten wise to you and you might need a ghille suit????? Are you using any type of face mask??? Gun camo'd????

Seriously, move the target (feeder).....

I used to have same problem as you when I was a kid at my parents house. I found rotating which window I was shooting out of (check local laws, etc) worked well. Gotta open them real smooth and be quiet. Thanks for the walk down memory lane!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Take care with Rat-Traps !!

As a last resort set out a rat trap baited with peanut butter. BTW, squirrels are excellent eating.
Take care in using rat traps as they will catch the bigger birds that you are trying to promote. Not only that, but for the most part, they don't have enough power to kill the squirrel. I use these traps for Grackles and Starlings, when they over-run the feeders. The bait you use, is important.... :rolleyes:

Squirrels are very smart and probably the smartest game out there but they have a very short memory. If you lay off for a time, they will forget about you and come in, again. ..... ;)

Be Safe !!!

Those YouTube videos were great. I laughed till tears came. As for my particular squirrel situation, I think that moving the feeder is the best way to go. I'll do that. Putting up a blind or wearing a ghillie suit is only going to get me laughed at by normal humans.

They sure are Determined Litt'l Buggers. I got to get me one of them Twirl- a-Squirrels. Thanks for the videos jmr40. They were fun.:)

This is one smart little rodent that has been trained in evasive maneuvers.
Looks like the battle lines are drawn. And your side is loosing 603Country. You should sue for peace Sir. OP I might be the only guy on this thread that's pulling for the Little Guy. Than again maybe not. But I hope that bushy tailed squirrel goes on to entertain you for months to come. I just know your entertaining your Mrs. a whole lot. Her watching all those going on's in the back yard has to be humorous to watch. _:D

Last edited:
The 12 gauge would normally be my other weapon of choice, but that little rascal puts a big Hackberry between me and him and he hauls tail to a small thicket and then (out of shotgun range) takes a hard right into the deep woods. I only get a glimpse of him for just a microsecond. I've sent lead his way, but never touched fur.

I've got a plan now. Next squirrel sighting I'll go out the front with the shotgun and work my way to the back edge of the house. Then get the wife to open the back door. He'll take his usual jet assisted path and I'll then get an angled right to left shot that won't be in danger of blasting my truck, tractor, or ATV.

IF you cant beatum joinum

Found the best bait to bring them in,Females;):D

Attachments

• Picture 016.jpg
    Picture 016.jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 58
  • 74233_163288737035678_1265299_n.jpg
    74233_163288737035678_1265299_n.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 54
  • 74233_163288740369011_1169440_n.jpg
    74233_163288740369011_1169440_n.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 48
bird feeders

i use a wooden feeder and a fence charger. arrange metal plates on top and bottom just far enough apart that it wont effect the birds. it is really funny to watch the squirrels get hit.about 2-3 times and he will stay away.:eek:

Move the feeder or add a second one.
Then keep filling them both until he gets fat and slow....
lol
Good luck with that. I swear if they had thumbs we'd be in one hard run for our evolutionary money.

Tag to see how this goes! I like the stars of a species; sometimes I prefer to make a pet out of them instead...sorta like they are too special to go and have earned the right to continue on...:o

Front sight, I think that maybe he knows by now that our relationship is strained so the pet idea seems a bit of a stretch. I admit that I do have a lot of respect for his tactical abilities.

Back