Maybe dumb ? 22lr in a 22mag revolver?

surfzombie

Please forgive my ignorance but. Can you shoot 22lr in a 22mag revolver? I am thinking about getting a 22mag revolver like a Taurus 941 and was wondering if you could safely shoot the 22lr in that gun to save on ammo. I have never done anything with 22mag other that shot a friend's gun. Is it safe or totally stupid? Would it damage the cylinder?

I absolutely do not see the purpose in a 22 mag revolver. The whole idea of 22 is cheap shooting and there ain't going to be any of that with a 22 mag. There applications where a 22 mag rifle makes sense but none I can see for a revolver. Yes, you can shoot 22 LR in a magnum, the cases split, accuracy sux and it is a bad idea. Better to buy a 22 LR revolver or one that has cylinders for 22 LR and 22 mag.

I was under the impression that you can take .22wmr brass and file the rim off and use it as a sleeve for .22lr, but have no experience with it.
Edit: Not a suggestion

don't do it

Firearms chambered in .22 mag are for .22 mag ONLY. There is no interchangability in this ctg. Any advice to the contrary is dangerous.

Twenty-2 mag is not cheap, esp anymore, but it is not a plinking caliber.
It is ideal as a upgrade in power FROM a .22 lr, in a rimfire hunting/woods gun.
It shoots considerably flatter in a rifle, and hits considerably harder in a long bbled revolver, than any .22 lr. The new, premium light bullets add another dimension, that I have not yet explored.

I was opposed to the .22 mag till I inherited my Dad's 6" Ruger single-6.
It will anchor a chuck or coyote much better than a .22, and though not recommended, more gun for SD if needs be. Ammo is still cheaper than a .32-20 or .38, even w/ reloads. (maybe not w/ lead ammo) FMJ ammo penetrates well if you think you need it, hollow points are very destructive, esp from a rifle.

My single-6 is lighter than a compareable .38 k-frame or SAA, and 100 rds of ammo weigh near nothing. You can still shoot half a box at cans and rocks and not go broke, and have 20-30 rds for the pot or to finish your wandering.

You can shoot a .22 lr cheaper, but if you carry more than you shoot, and when you do its at more than cans and paper, the .22 maggie starts to make sense to me.

As the previous posters said no LR in a mag.
If you are going that route I would recomend a .22 hornet, or .218 bee. Both were chambered in the Raging frame. They are reloadable, and tack driving acurate.They are quite heavy revolvers though. I shot a friend's .218 Raging Bee on a prarie dog shoot in Kansas and was popping the little suckers at well over 75 yards with it.
If price is the concearn check out Heratige Arms Rough Rider series. They offer a model with TruGlo front sight, and adjustable rear sight that is tack driver at 25 yards. It has .22lr, and .22 mag cylinder. Price is less than half the price of Ruger.

NO. You won't damage the revolver; you may damage YOU.

If you really think you are going to be shooting 22 mags with any consistancy, maybe look at a Ruger Singe Six which comes with both the LR and WMR cylindes. There must be a reason if a manufacture provides two different cylinders.

Frankly, skip the Taurus and get a Smith. I know, more money. The Colt Trooper Mark III was chambered in 22WMR. It is a very good DA revolver and I believe you would be quite happy with the revolver

Last edited:
For starters don't buy the 941 I have one and they are C---. And yes I did shoot 22lr in it by mistake and they did shoot OK. But did have a hard time getting them out once they were fired. I would NOT recommend trying it. What I had done I hadn't shoot it in so long I forgot it was .22Mag when I saw how the cases were I remembered and stopped. Stick with a 94 if you must have one in .22lr:confused:

I was just thinking of a 22mag revolver as a BUG gun for conceal carry option. I think the ballistics are way better than the 25acp for example and the ammo is about the same in price or maybe just a bit less in cost.

It's a very good question and it comes up all the time. The right answer has been given, it shouldn't be done.

I've done it and played with it a bit and find no real reason to do it. I don't see any danger in it, you won't hurt the gun, and it's doubtful if you're in any personal danger yourself. The cases do split just about every time and release the pressure needed to give a consistent thrust to the bullets, so the speed is erratic from shot to shot. I've chrono'd them and there is no consistency, which also explains why the accuracy is all over the place.

In a pinch, yes you could use them, but don't expect anything in range or performance.

I wouldn't consider a .22, even the .22 mag for self defense. I don't know how big of a gun you want to carry, but I wouldn't think of anything less that a .38 at a minimum. There are some small framed .357's out there, that's were I would start.

I wouldn't consider a .22, even the .22 mag for self defense

To each there own. Just an opinion and the 22lr and the 22 mag are just as deadly as all the center fired calibers you are referring to. If you care to do a search on the TFL you will find many a post stating how deadly the little calibers are.

I absolutely do not see the purpose in a 22 mag revolver.
The .22Mag is a field cartridge, not a cheap plinker and it was never meant to be. You get better than .22LR rifle performance out of handgun with a better, heavier bullet. Knocks over small game and varmints with much more authority.

While you could theoretically fire a .22 Long Rifle in a .22 Magnum chamber, I strongly reccomend against it. The .22 Long Rifle (as well as its ancestors .22 Long and .22 Short) uses a heel-based bullet. This means that the bullet is smaller in diameter at the base where it fits down inside the cartridge case thusly making the outside diameter of the case and the bearing surface of the bullet the same. The .22 Magnum on the other hand, uses the more modern inside-lubricated bullet that does not have a smaller diameter base and thusly necessitates a larger diameter case. If you tried to fire .22 Long Rifle ammo in a .22 Magnum chamber, the chamber would be too large in diameter and lead to bulged and possibly split cases.

Ruger does make a revolver that can fire both (the Single Six convertible), but this is accomplished by two interchangeable cylinders (one for Magnums and the other for shorts, longs, and long rifles). I am unaware of any DA revolver that can fire both cartridges.

I would look at the light weight Smith J-frame (air weight) revolver if you want to use it for self defense. I'm not sure if they still make them. If not, it has not been long since they were in production. I think it would make a nice little carry revolver. Very noisy to shoot.

For a true bug, maybe the North American Black Widow or whatever they are called these days. But they are a tiny revolver meant to be shot up close and personal (aka belly gun). They come in both 22WMR and 22LR.

Quote:
I wouldn't consider a .22, even the .22 mag for self defense

To each there own. Just an opinion and the 22lr and the 22 mag are just as deadly as all the center fired calibers you are referring to. If you care to do a search on the TFL you will find many a post stating how deadly the little calibers are.

Certainly they can be deadly, they aren't toys to be trifled with, but if I'm going to rely on a caliber to stop someone, I would rather have something a bit more substantial.

I absolutely do not see the purpose in a 22 mag revolver. The whole idea of 22 is cheap shooting and there ain't going to be any of that with a 22 mag.

Some people use their weapons in ways that differ from the way you use yours. Give a little perspective to the situation, before insinuating that the guy is off his rocker.
In may area, alone; I can name a dozen or more uses for a .22 WMR revolver.
For starters: Jack Rabbit hunting.

---

I was under the impression that you can take .22wmr brass and file the rim off and use it as a sleeve for .22lr, but have no experience with it.
Edit: Not a suggestion

...Not even remotely funny...

It is not safe.
People do it; but those same people think bailing wire and duct tape are the perfect tools to repair the brakes on their car.

Maybe dumb ? 22lr in a 22mag revolver?
There's no such thing as a dumb question when it comes to firearms. The answer as you already know by now is No. Do not shoot a .22LR in a .22mag revolver. And, thanks for asking. :)

I was just thinking of a 22mag revolver as a BUG gun for conceal carry option. I think the ballistics are way better than the 25acp for example and the ammo is about the same in price or maybe just a bit less in cost.

I did this many years ago and found out what looks good on paper doesn't always work in real life. I have 22 mag revolvers and I like them but keep in mind the balistic info published for the 22 mag is for a rifle.

If you shoot a 22 mag out of a short barreled revolver you will get a very impressive fireball. This is powder that did not burn to propell the bullet. The velocity drop of the 22 mag. is significant in a short barrel.

If you really want to go this route, find someone with a chrono and check the numbers. You will most likely conclude that there are better center fire options. If you are still happy by all means go for it, everyone needs a new toy once and a while.

Back