MAVERICK OPINIONS ? (by Mossberg)

gyvel the crossbolt safety is a vast improvement just as you say over the tang mounted abomination.

For me it is having to change my grip on the gun by moving my thumb. The safety in the trigger guard is perfect location.

I acually like the tang mounted safety location...on/off without alteration to grip, and you can get metal aftermarket safety buttons for the mossy. What I dont like is the safety mechanism itself, with that long shtick to the trigger group, looks more prone to stick-slip than just a cross-bolt...

I had the 6 shot security model for years. Great gun. I sold as I wanted an 8 shot. I planned on getting an 8 shot Maverick but went with the 500 instead as I really liked the parked finish on it. I swapped the safety on my 500 to the 590's aluminum one, an improvement but still feels less than solid compared to the Mavericks. I will say the the fore end and action bars on the 500 feel better and less wobbely than the Mavs. Fwiw the fore end is pinned to the action bars on my 500 much like the Mavericks. Lame.

Back