Mauser rebarrel ideas

I actually am interested in the 284 Win. Probably not for this rifle, as I would like this one to end up suppressed if I have to change the barrel.

Don't forget the neglected 284 Win.
Not on a 93 Mauser, please! 284 will destroy it unless he sends it out for re-heat treating. Use the old standbys: 250 Savage, 300 Savage, 7X57, 257 Roberts, 9X57, cartridges with pressures below the 53,000 psi max pressure of the 7X57. Or explore one of the less common options such as 35 Rem, 30 AR, 450 Bushmaster, 458 SOCOM, 7.62X39, 6.5 Grendel, 30-30, 219 Zipper, 44 Mag, you name it, just keep the pressure low.

I'd say it looks like the mag well is too wide. The rounds on the right side go too far left, the ones on the left go too far right.

This is not an impossibility, if the moron who sporterized the rifle opened up the feed lips (which are part of the action) there is no "home remedy".

Alternately, it could have a "wrong" magazine follower, or the right one worked on so that it no longer does its job, correctly.

Can you close the bolt on an empty magazine, or does the rifle lock open when empty? Military Mauser magazine followers have a square cut rear face so the bolt won't close on an empty gun, unless you push the follower down.

If the bolt does close on the empty mag, either the follower has been modified, or the magazine spring is crapped out and not pushing the follower all the way up.

If you can magnumize a Mosin and can consider: "make a detachable single stack mag and matching bottom metal with minimal effort" it seems your only problem is deciding what caliber.

@44amp
I just checked, the bolt does close over the follower when empty. Compared it to a friend's mauser, and it looks like my follower has been filed, as it has a bevel on the back of the follower.
Also noticed that his follower fits a lot more snugly in the bottom metal. mine has a bit of side to side, which I thought was normal because I work on mosins, which rattle.

Does anyone have measurements, length and width, for a spanish 93 mauser follower?

I think that may be the problem, but don't want to start blindly throwing money at it by buying parts.

Also, measurements of feed lips on the receiver?
I'm starting to suspect it may have been messed with.

If you can magnumize a Mosin and can consider: "make a detachable single stack mag and matching bottom metal with minimal effort" it seems your only problem is deciding what caliber.
Actually, I suspect the mauser will be much more of a challenge. The combination of being a staggered magazine and controlled round feed means that it may not be possible to convert to feed a radically different round. The reason I convert mosins to everything, is because the bolt just needs to slam the round into the chamber. Being single stack, the round is already lined up with the chamber perfectly, and I don't need to worry about extractor tension, or how the round slides up the bolt face.

So, I think I'm going to try fixing this one in 7x57, and eventually suppress it. Since I handload, I can probably get results close to 300 blackout from the 7x57.

If I either can't fix it, or don't like it suppressed, I'll go either 458 socom or 510 whisper.

Back