Mauser modelo argentino 1891?

Cheez, Thebser, you better get the place picked up before the girlfriend comes over:D. I like the 1891 a lot. Since Mauser had not yet got the claw extractor invented, the 1891 looks more like a precursor to Sakos and Remington 700s, rather than Winchester Model 70s. For those of us who like to compare similar rifles, the Model 1891, which is functionally the same as the Belgian 1889, can be compared to the US Army's 1892 Krag-Jorgensen. This is a fairer comparison than with the Spanish Model 93 Mauser, which supposedly bested the Krag in the Spanish-American war. I still give the 1891 an edge over the Krag, but it is arguable.

The PRVI Partizan ammo works just fine. The 174-gr FMJ gave 2608 fps and the 180-gr SP gave 2559 fps in my 1891. The ammo has to be held to around 46000 psi so that seems to be very good performance, almost in the league with the .308, which operates at higher pressure. This is with the 29-in barrel. I J-B welded a Williams 5D peep on the piece, and it will stay inside 2" at 100 yards with the PPU ammo. I will say my 1891 kicks like a mule, and for safe but more comfortable shooting, I would like to load some 150-gr bullets at about 24-2500, but I haven't got around to that yet.

My WIFE needs to clean LOL I really like the rifle just wish I could get some ammo! I have a fewguys trying to trade me pistols for it but idk if I wanna come off it. I like it a lot first old gun ive owned and they sure don't make em like this anymore.

If you can find a sufficient quantity, you an form cases with either the 7x57 or 8x57 Mauser.

You trim 3mm off the neck, run it full-length into the 7.65 Argentine die, and load normally.

No need to ream the neck, and the cases will completely fire form when you touch off the first round.

I actually deer hunt with an 1891 Arg. Mine was sporterized long before I got my hands on it so I threw a scout mount in place of the rear sight and a LER scope on it. Thing is very accurate at 150-200, and has more than enough power to knock a deer over. Awesome rifles man, you'll like it I'm sure.

As for your's I think your's is missing the crest. Normally you'd be able to see an edge of it from a side image like your third one you put up. It would be on the receiver ring not the barrel where that tiny little armorer mark is. An argentine with the Argentine crest still on the receiver ring is worth more than one without obviously. However, if you want one that's worth considerably more you'll find one with the crest and the matching bayonet.

uestio

Hunted white tail deer when a teenager with an 1891 Argy....does just fine deer hunting. Have a sporterized/scoped 1891 Argentine that I occasionally take to range to shoot paper.....surprisingly accurate rifle with my reloads.

A few comments: You got a nice Argentine rifle! Ammo for it is commonly called 7.65 Argentine.....most refer to it as 7.65x53, the Belgium ammo was 7.65x54, but basically it is the same. Say basically, because I'm of the OPINION there may have been a very slight difference in the shoulder on the Belgium ammo. As to SF surplus military ammo made in Argentina, I've occasionally seen it at local gun shows over the years.....don't recommend using it. I've never bought it because of the questionable quality control in its manufacture. About the PPU ammo, PPU is on the rim, but box should have Prvi Partizan on it and Grafs & Sons on internet seems to have the best selection of Prvi Partizan ammo and reloading componets.

Back