Mauser modelo argentino 1891?

thebser

I just picked up one of these rifles today from a guy on a trade. he told me it was a mosin nagant but when I saw it I new I wanted it. I don't know anything about it other than what they sell for. Is this a good rifle to shoot or should I trade it off? the ammos hard to find and kinda pricey. Any advice is welcomed. its numbers matching and its not sportarized its completely original from what I can tell.

Those old rifles are wonderfully machined, wonderfully polished, have beautiful bluing, truly they are too expensive to make today. But, the metallurgy of the period was low grade, the process controls rudimentary, and the 1891 does not handle gas well. There are very good reasons to not hot load these rifles but to only shoot loads that represent period pressures.

That being said, the 7.65 Argentine round is an excellent round, you can look at the bullet weight and velocity and it is good. Given a good barrel and good bullets, the rifle will shoot well. Early battle sights had 400 or 600 yard zero's, so be aware if your rifle shoots 16" high at 100 yards, you will need a taller front sight to bring it down.

THANKS!!!

im trying to find ammo as we speak but this is my first old rifle and I traded a single shot shotgun for it!!! the guy said he could find ammo so it hung on the wall and needed a huntin gun. This one is number matching and non sportarized very nice shape! idk anything about it ive been researching like crazy

7.65 x 54 Argentine (same as 7.65 x54 Belgian) is a good cartridge and can be loaded to almost 7.62 x 51 levels though I recommend a bit lighter given the age of the rifle. Cases can be made from .30-'06 cases and loaded with .311 bullets, but the necks must be turned or reamed. Many Model 1909 Argentine rifles (a Mauser 98) have been reworked to .30-'06, but the magazine makes that change impractical for a Model 1891 even if other reasons didn't mitigate against the conversion.

Jim

Curious, are you looking for 7.65 Argentine, or are you looking for cheap 7,65. Your ammo is out there, 15 to 20 dollars a box { 20 rounds }. Just let google do the walking.

Awsome people

you guys are great! Im looking for ammo that was ment to be fired from this gun. The 7.65.54. the gun is in amazing condition and I don't wanna harm her in any way. Im gonna do some calling today and see what I can find. heck might end up making my own rounds at some point....Ive found the ammo online but idk about ordering ammo online. ive never done it.

Whats a unsportarized mauser 1891 worth?

The cartridge is 7.65x53, PPU makes the most affordable ammunition for the Argentine that is also reloadable. Norma also makes 7.65 Argentine at about double the price. The Norma brass, IMO, is better than the PPU.
There is a bit of the SF headstamped surplus from Argentina around, either online or at gun shows. This ammunition is berdan primed, non corrosive and pretty mild shooting. Perfect for the 91 or 09.
There are several things that can affect the value of your 91 besides condition, whether the crest is intact or ground off, if it is a carbine, DWM or Loewe manufacture....

Fine old rifles....enjoy it.

Just FWIW, the cartridge is called both 7.65x54 and 7.65x53. An actual specimen measures 53.4 mm. It was adopted by Belgium, Turkey, Paraguay and a few others.

Jim

all numbers match and its unmolested and in amazing shape for its age! stocks beautiful! I just cant wait to find ammo and give it a go!

SGAmmo has the Prvi Partisan in stock. You just send a scan of your drivers license to prove age and residence, then order online. Pretty simple.

It's a pretty good cartridge.

I found some ammo online but im gonna try a HUGE gun store that's local whittakers guns its one of the largest in KY....

The Argentine 91 Mauser type action was noted for it's smoothness of bolt operation and light weight, and was a favorite of German custom rifle builders of the 1920's and 30's for high grade light European stalking rifles.
Somewhere there's a picture of Herman Goering using a 91 type fancy, full stocked stalking rifle on a hunt.

The Argentine rifles were built in Germany with the finest quality workmanship and were better blued under the wood than most modern guns are outside.
The action is not especially strong, and poor extraction can be an issue with bad ammo due to the extraction system.
When barreled in a caliber suitable to the action they make fine shooting rifles.

These are less common with the Argentine crest on the receiver ring intact.
Two Central American countries fought a brief border war and one country had pointed questions of the Argentines as to how their military rifles had wound up being used by the other side.
The rifles had been sold by Argentina as surplus, but after that they ground the crests off to insure there were no questions.

1891 Argy

Congratulations! , they are wonderful rifles and can be very accurate, if you decide to hand-load.
An all matching rifle is a treasure.

we need pics!!

That 7.65x53 is just a mild 308 and a great gun to hunt with if that's your fancy.

IIRC, Argentine law required weapons sold by the government to have the crest ground, probably as a result of the situation mentioned by Dfariswheel. But when it developed that the country could make more money if the crest was intact, the law was changed. But that was too late to keep the bulk of the surplus weaponry from having the crest ground.

Jim

Back