Mauser Mod. 98 Custom What Caliber???

Slug the barrel. And quit trying to chamber .30-06. An 8mm barrel will be .323" diameter.
There's lots of commercial 8mm Mauser hunting ammo available. It'll do anything a .30-06 will do.
"...the bolt wouldn't seat..." SAAMI OAL for .30-06 is 3.340". 8mm Mauser is 3.250".

Knowing that the 06 casing is longer than 8X57 is exactly why some have said to try it.
If it's a loaded cartridge the bullet will still go in the barrel and not get hung up if it is still the original Mauser chambering. Hence it won't give a false reading.

Many Mausers were re-chambered after being brought back to the States due to readily available 30-06 casings. Was a simple ream job.

I agree the barrel is most likely original. Also agree the best way to be certain is a chamber cast.

The stock is most likely either a Fajen or a Bishop, and I'd lean towards Fajen, the pistol grip is very similar to Fajens, I have had.

Contrasting rosewood forend tip and pistol grip cap, this was not the "economy grade" stock.

The bolt handle has been "bent" (cut and rewelded), a scope safety has been installed, and the issue sights removed. I can't tell for certain from the pics if that is the original trigger, but it could well be. The original Mauser trigger can be turned into an excellent (sporting rifle) trigger fairly easily by people who know what they are doing. Some kept it two stage, some would make it a single stage trigger.

The bottom metal is all original, (matching #s), and its the only real step left unconverted. A "complete" sporter job would have replaced the original with a hinged floorplate version.

The triggerguard was often left in original condition to save a few buck, or because having a hinged floorplate simply wasn't important to the owner.

sometimes the triggerguard bow was slightly recontoured by the smith, sometimes not.

very nice rifle, classic sporter. congratulations!

Back