Mauser Barrel Band Help

It's not the band. It's the wood that swelled up or warped with age. When you removed the band, it allowed to wood to expand.

Unless you're very good with a chisel and mallet, don't chisel it. Hold the chisel as you would a brush and scrape away at the high spots. The chisel is virtually perpendicular to the wood and not at angle to the surface that is to be cut.

I've just been carefully tapping it back into place with a hammer.

So, put a candle to the barrel band to mark any high spots, then get a piece of wood and tap it back into place. I will work on it some more and get back to you.

FINALLY!

Relieved enough wood with a chisel (screwdriver) to that it pops back into place. All I have to do is just give it a little nudge upwards if I ever take it off again.

THANK YOU GUYS SO MUCH

This has been bothering me ever since I got the rifle.

You guys are awesome.

Internet Highfive.

:D

-Mo.

Now- QUIT PLAYING WITH IT!!!!!
Just clean it up & shoot it, Mo.

And by "clean it up" that doesn't mean breaking it down into every individual piece it has on it, sanding the stock down to a bare grain pattern, varnishing all the wood, Dremeling off all the original bluing & cold-bluing it on the back porch, and messing with the trigger.

Get the cosmoline off it & out of it, don't spend a month obsessing over the bore, and don't be "improving" it 9 times a day.

Seeing you back here in a week asking what to do about it shooting high is probably inescapable, but it'd be nice not to see posts like "I polished the bolt lugs with my Dremel & now the gun separates case heads, what should I do?"

Denis

Golly, Denis, you sound almost as cynical as someone else I know!
If I didn't know him, I might take him as a bit rude, even.
Such is the 'handicap' we all face when communicating without the use of body language, facial expression, and intonation...

But, I met Denis a few times, as a kid, and my father has plenty of stories about him. He's a good guy. I think... I know my father, so I do wonder how many of those stories are actually true.... ;)

Mo...
If you find yourself in need of parts, or want to try a different band, let me know. I still have most of what I stripped off of my 24/47 when it was "retired". The only things that I know for certain are gone are the front sight hood (to a TFL member), and sling and rear barrel band (to my M38 :D).

The M24/47 I bought had never been fired since being re-arsenaled by Zastava and stashed away in the arsenal- as was the case with most.

When I received it, the safety did not work (I trashed the first one trying to fit it correctly, but succeeded on the replacement) and the rear action screw was too long- couldn't even run the bolt. It was obvious it had been re-worked and never tested for fit, or fired.

I suspect that was the case with yours. The location of the holes in the barrel bands will vary slightly, this was just a mis-match that you were able to fix.

Mo tends to fondle & fiddle, worry obsessively, ask numerous repetitive questions, disregard answers, fondle & fiddle, ask the same repetitive questions again, disregard the answers, bounce around from gun to gun without really learning any of them, and has a lack of patience.

All of which I've told him in PMs. :)
All of which he's well aware of. :)

He's a bright guy, just needs to throttle back a bit in some areas, and the urge to "improve" by sanding, grinding, polishing, disassembling, and in general messing around with them obsessively is one of those.

Trying to forestall the usual cleaning, stuff-in-my-barrel, I-broke-this, why can't-I-shoot-it-well questions several of us have gone through with him as he gets "new" guns. :)

None of which is intended to discourage Mo from discussion or seeking advice, just to say he's gotten answers to his usual questions in abundance & doesn't need to re-ask the same ones again on this new acquisition, to give him some well-intentioned and serious advice to not over-tinker and not to over-obsess about the bore like he has with his Mosin & K31, and to just enjoy the gun without making it into an overly-involved village project.

I happen to think the 24/47 is a great gun, mine's one of the most accurate, military or commercial, that I own.

I'd like to see Mo learn it & enjoy it as much as anybody here.
I'd also like to see Mo take it slow, without damaging it as he did with his 10/22, and that involves learning the gun as it is before taking his Dremel to it when he really doesn't have enough knowledge to understand what's involved.

With the older surplus guns, unnecessary disassembly can result in problems like the one Mo encountered with his barrel band.
To Mo's credit, he did ask for help before using a bench grinder to solve the problem, and in this case listened to advice. :)

Just urging caution, restraint, and patience.

And FM- I'd probably discount at least half those stories. :)
Denis

Well, I knew it was too good to be true.

First shot knocked the confounded thing off. The retaining spring popped out from under it and it slid a mm or two up the barrel.

I managed to nudge the retaining circle into full lock. It's above flush with the band now. I'm going to a couple test shots and get back to you.

Hi, Denis,

I should have included the "smiley" in that post. And yes, I do know what you mean, which is why I don't often get into one of Mo's threads. Let's see what's next. ;)

Jim

Back