Mauser Barrel Band Help

Mosin-Marauder

Howdy,

The new M24/47 I got is pretty clean now and in good working order. However the front barrel band is extremely difficult to remove (have to tap it with a hammer) and it will not lock back into place (the retaining spring will not pop back into the designated hole). It comes loose when firing. I'm not sure what to do or how to fix this but I would really appreciate it if you folks could help me figure out what to do. Thanks,

-Mo.

I'd relieve a bit from the retaining spring, just ahead of where the spring pops into the cutout in the band. This will allow the spring to pop up higher and retain the band better.

Forgive me, I'm a bit confused as to where to relieve the metal from the spring? I tried to put it back on and I noticed the circle on the retaining spring and the cutout on the band don't exactly line up.

Well shucks, if the cutout on the band and the spring knob that interlocks with it once everything is assembled don't line up, therein lies your problem. It could be that the wood swelled up, preventing it from allowing the band to be moved further back to allow the spring knob to snap into place.

It could also be that the wood where the spring goes in has swollen too (or combination of both), thereby throwing the fit off.

Whatever you do, do no harm. I consider the price of the parts and work on the cheapest alternative first.

Could relieving some of the wood around the spring work? Or some of the metal from the barrel band? It's not a dramatic misalignment. I don't even really know of a unit of measurement small enough to represent it. What would my best course of action here be?

Without seeing it, it's hard to say.

I'd remove the spring and see if the band will go all the way back if the spring is not present. If so, then the spring should be refitted. It should probably be sunk lower into the stock so I'd make sure it can go just a little further down.

Now, if the band doesn't go all the way back, then the wood where the band goes over should be relieved. Use a candle and blacken the interior of the band and then slide it on. I would use a scraper to remove the high spots (scraper allows for more precise removal of wood than a file). If you don't have a scraper, then a flat wood chisel used as a scraper.

Pictures! (thanks) Never mind removing the spring.

Looks like the band is stopping at the top wood (handguard). I would relieve that slightly and see if the band will slide back further.

We want to hear and feel that snap of the spring when the band is slid back. Note, from the marks on the stock, it looks like that band may be tapped back slightly too. Put a piece of wood just on the outer lip of the barrel band and try tapping it with a mallet.

As Gary says- relieve the wood SLIGHTLY, just a tiny bit at a time.
Tiny bit, try to lightly tap the barrel band back to see if the detent pops into the hole. If not, tiny bit more wood.

Might try to see if things line up correctly with the handguard off first, that'll tell you if you've got the handguard maybe improperly positioned, or at least if it's only the handguard that needs to be relieved.

You like to tinker, Mo, but you can't replace wood you remove, go carefully & ONLY if you HAVE to remove material.
The band fit before you took it off, it should fit now if you have everything positioned right.

And I'd recommend you don't remove that spring.

It is quite possible to over-tinker with these things.
Denis

I don't think it's working I relieved a bit from the lip of the upper hand guard and it's still not popping into place. Should I keep relieving wood or not? When putting the barrel band back on it encounters resistance where it meets the forend cap. At which point the lower stock is compressed upward by the barrel band and about a 1/4' of an inch from where the hand guard steps down to the part that is covered by the barrel band, it has to be tapped into place. I may also note that it is necessary to Tao the barrel band into place when the upper hand guard is removed. What's next?

Do you see those two parallel indentation lines on the stock? I think it's hanging up there.

Did you try the inletting black?

The ones right under the lip of the handguard?

And I covered the forend cap with a sharpie and didn't see anything. However there are two wear marks aligned with each other on the inside of the barrel band about the same size. I'm going to polish those two and see if that doesn't work.

Leave the barrel band alone. The high spots correspond to where the sharpie rubbed off on the wood. That's where you scrape on the wood.

Are you tapping the band back carefully with something like a block of wood?

It fit before you started tinkering with it, unless you altered some dimension or reassembled something incorrectly it should go back together again.

Doubtful ordering another band would help, unless you did something that screwed up the one that fit when you got the rifle.
Denis

Back