Mauser 98

HM3:

Your "new" Mauser is more complete than many, if your barrel is still original. Take the others' advice, try it out before deciding anything further. I've got an old Polish (Danzig/Gdansk)-built version of the 98K, it's barrel was grimy and dark, but after thorough cleaning it seems very acceptable. And since the barrel and receiver have matching numbers, I'm hesitant to rebarrel just yet.

By the way, it's very common for the bolt to be mismatched. When these rifles were captured by Allied forces, often the first thing that was done was to remove the bolts and toss them in a big pile, effectively taking those firearms out of the fight. When the captured arms were refurbished in an arsenal (by the Soviets, for example), they certainly did not take the time to match up the loose bolts. In a way, that fact is rather meaningful, it is likely that your rifle did indeed "see some action".

That 8mm round punches a hole nearly 10% bigger than a .30-06 or .308, in some respects it is superior to "our" calibers.
Just be sure to remember, all modern commercial 8mm Mauser ammo made in the U.S. is downloaded because it can also be chambered in older, less robust Mauser actions. Your '98 can take the military surplus stuff, there is a big difference.

To All:
I'm not sure if this should be posted here, but as it concernes the 98, here it is.

I have heard that there was a 98 designed as a sniper rifle, and that the receiver was grooved for scope mounting and a peep rear sight with a cross, removable, hair. I cannot find this type of 98 in the material I have on hand. Can anyone help out on this?

HJN

[This message has been edited by Harley Nolden (edited June 03, 1999).]

There were quite a few sniper variations of the K98k, but from my sources, all seem to have the standard notch rear sight.

Perhaps it was a commerical production 98 sporting rifle?

Collector Grade Publications ( www.collectorgrade.com ) has books on both the sniper K98k and the commerical 98 sporter rifles.

Daniel Watters,

The U.S. did not pay royalties on Mauser 98 features because there are no Mauser 98 features in the M1903 design. Royalties were paid on the "borrowed" features of the Mauser 93 and previous Mauser designs.

The designers at Springfield in the 1900-1903 timeframe did not copy any features of the Mauser 1898 because they never saw one.

Jim

[This message has been edited by Jim Keenan (edited June 03, 1999).]

Guys,

The last inch or so of rifling near the muzzle is not as crisp as the rest of the barrel. The crown is, however, in good condition. How will this afffect accuracy? Also, the bolt that goes through the forearm stock under the receiver is missing. Is this terribly significant?

Back