mauser 98 in 260 rem feeding problems

2606-7-2013-1.jpg

This is a 60s or 70 Parker Hale [Spanish Santa Barbara] 30-06 that I rebarreled to 260 and re stocked.

It does not have any trouble feeding, but I have a Win70 243 and a Arisaka 300 Sav that have blocks inserted to make the magazine shorter. So the problem HBiC describes must be real, I have just not seen it yet.

The problem I have seen, and I hope I am not wasting your time mentioning it, is that the gap between the magazine and receiver feed ramp can catch a pointy bullet tip.

98 220 swift
Glad to hear you got it going by modifying the extractor. You may still have to work on the follower and rails, to get it feeding smoothly. You run into all of this when changing cartridges.

98 220 swift
Glad to hear you got it going by modifying the extractor. You may still have to work on the follower and rails, to get it feeding smoothly. You run into all of this when changing cartridges

Its usable now. But I will have to do a little more work. I am glad I went ahead and put the barreled action in a junk stock I had laying around. It still needs to be blued also. Better to mess with problems now before I do all that to it. No big deal if it gets scratched right now. This is my first build. I have redone a few that where already sportized and made them nicer.

I have to agree with some of the others. Those medium action receivers were never a good conversion for .308 based cartridges. It is rare when they will feed a full magazine with absolute reliability. I had two Arisakas recut to .300 Savage and never got either one to hold and feed more than 3 rounds reliably. Yes well, live and learn. Wait until you try to feed a rimmed case in something that was designed for rimless.

I shot the rifle yesterday and it feed quite well. Not quite as smooth as a 8mm but close enough.

feed a rimmed case in something that was designed for rimless

I have a vz24 in 220 swift. I did not build it. It will only feed the first 2 rounds before it jams up.

Back