Mauser 98 Conversion

I am a fan of the 8X57, it is a great round, considering it has not changed all that much since 1888 (and really not at all since 1905). With proper bullets, you can kill anything in north America with it, aside from maybe big bears.

Got me curious, so I ran the numbers, looking at how they do in the wind. In a 10 mph full value wind, at 500 yards:

The 8mm 200gr SMK @ 2500 FPS has 22" of wind.
The .308 180gr SMK @ 2600 FPS has 21.6" of wind.

Not bad.

Re: Mauser 98

Experience and a nice rifle in the end is exactly what I am looking for. There are a few things that I do need to learn and add to my skill set. I have a decent amount of experience with hand fitting but there are things I wouldn't attempt right now. I do however have a network of friends who can make up for what I am lacking. I started this thread to gain knowledge and I have done just that, so I am heading in the right direction. I never undertake a project without careful consideration of what it will take to complete the project. My Father taught me that anything worth doing is worth doing right and I am a perfectionist,so while it might not be an exhibition grade rifle, it will be far from a hack job. I have plenty of time to build it. I just want to start acquiring pieces right now so I can work at my own pace.

Beautiful Mauser Wyosmith!! :eek:

I have a ~50s(?) European sporter based on a K98 Mauser 8mm, and the feel of cycling the action is simply magic, including the sound. I also have a modern Remington 700 Classic in 8mm, which is a tackdriver, although cycling the action is a thoroughly sterile and passionless experience. As a result, I like using the K98 more often.

One of these days I want to get another historic boutique Mauser sporter with a pristine barrel and set trigger with a European scope, in 8mm of course. :D

I generally find the 1909 Argentine to be better machined than a German Mauser. Fewer machine marks because theyre notwartime products.

More powder and better expansion ratios for powder burn, the 8x57 kicks the 308's arse with bullets in the 180-220 grain range. But, unless you're made of money and can afford Euro ammo, the 8x57 is for handloading. I am a huge fan of the 8x57.

4V50GARY -I have three '09 argys, all three were made by DWM in Germany. They're very nice, but not any better than my Persian mausers that were made by the Czechs.
Between the wars, if I recall correctly, the Mausers had five factories cranking out rifles for contracts around the world. I've seen south american versions, Greek, German, Belgian, etc. etc. All good as far as craftsmanship went. It wasn't until the war years that the Germans, under pressure, started cutting quality corners, and then mainly on aethstetics and furniture.

Lots of decent Mauser 98 actions mentioned already. Czech/Bruno, 1909 DMW Argentines, Oberndorf/J.P.Sauer and Shons, Steyr would what I want for a 98 mauser build. Might throw in a model 1936 Mexican, but its a small ring mauser that has features of a 98...kinda an odd ball design, but well thought of for custom builds. Probably, pricier than others mentioned and harder to find.

You might want to consider buying a Zavasta M70 rifle. It is a 98 mauser action design and Zavasta has made lots of them marketed and sold by various companies over the years. Nice thing about the M70 Zavasta, has a turned down bolt for scopes, no thumb cut has a decent adjustable trigger and if you know how to tinker with the trigger can be set to around 12 oz. Stock on the M70 has a decent shaped sporting stock, but Zavasta took no effort for giving it a decent finish.....like they dipped it in an oil bath and that was it. I've seen some when refinished, looked pretty darn nice. Have an M70 myself and after redoing the stock, its a looker. Wanted to buy one at a local gunshow a few months ago, just to get the stock.....had darn nice figure in the wood, but talked myself out of it. Between a shooting buddy and I, we own at least four of them. Sadly, none of ours shot that well for accuracy......so, they're scheduled for rebarrels.

Doing a 98 up right is expensive but when finished will out shoot anything you can buy off a rack. I like making collectors cry. They would really wail if they could see my all matching G 33/40. :D:D:D

elmbow said:
More powder and better expansion ratios for powder burn, the 8x57 kicks the 308's arse with bullets in the 180-220 grain range. But, unless you're made of money and can afford Euro ammo, the 8x57 is for handloading. I am a huge fan of the 8x57.

Hornady has the best American full power loads on the market in a reasonable price range, although it does take a little effort to find them. At $28-$30 per 20 rds, they are very reasonable compared to premium .30-06 ammo, and are extremely capable deerslayers and more.

I use either Hornady 195 gr SPs @ 2500 fps or Nosler Custom 180 gr Ballistic Tips @ 2600 fps almost exclusively. There is only a ~1 inch difference in drop and negligible difference in energy at 300 yds, which is the farthest range I am likely to hunt at. I typically only buy Nosler when I see some outfitter has lost patience and put them on clearance. :D

I have some ultra rare (70s?) Norma 165 gr Vulcans @ 2855 fps, but I haven't seen them for sale in over 20 years! :eek: Too precious to shoot at this point, but I greatly admire this load for 8mm and will do something similar when I finally get around to handloading. Can still find Norma 196 gr Alaska SP or Vulcans now and then, although they are pricey indeed....

Last edited:
Back