Mauser 1914

Thanks James and Winchester. I noticed that the grips were noticeably smoother than others but the bluing didnt stand out to my untrained eyes.

The wear on the left side slide serrations did jump out at me and there is obviously holster wear on the front of the slide so I just assumed the smooth grip was from wear and not from sanding.

Thanks for the input and tips. By the way, the reason I currently have this piece is to correct a function issue in the near future. When I have this in the shop are there things to look for or that I should be aware of that would effect the value? Non original parts, ect

When I have this in the shop are there things to look for or that I should be aware of that would effect the value? Non original parts, ect

Yes. I actually asked the same question here a year or two ago before I bought my first one below. The SN should be on the frame, slide, barrel, side plate, and the inner sear piece (the part to the left of the trigger - I have seen them without this part numbered). Sometimes when the guns were issued in the weimar era, other parts could be numbered. Each numbered part should either have the last 3 or last 4 of the SN. Anything not matching the frame SN is not original to the gun.

Disassembly is rather easy. You can google directions for it.

mauser11.jpg

I'm not sure about the gun being reblued; The significant wear on the front gripstrap belies the fact that it was reblued. It's pretty hard to tell since lighting, etc. can alter tha appearance of a gun significantly when pics are being taken. The fact that there is quite a bit of wear on the slide serrations might indicate that it has been reblued, however.

Also, Mauser grips did not have typical diamond checkering with peaks. The scored lines are more of a crosshatching than true checkering. The grips do have quite a bit of wear, but, if they were sanded, why wasn't all the crosshatching obliterated?

Winchester 73, your Mauser has a 1934 magazine.

Last edited:
Although I'm no expert either, IIRC every original Mauser pocket pistol I've examined had a straw-colored trigger

Actually, the triggers were heat blued, as were the extractors. The extractor in this gun still appears to be heat blued, indicating that it was either removed if the gun was refinished, or that the gun was not refinished.

Removing these extractors is a tricky proposition and often results in a broken extractor.

Great info. And thanks for the exploded view Winchester. I will try and dig up an actual camera and try to take some better pics (partially for my own use anyways) and post when I can.

Unless I am wrong (which is possible) that is not the same gun as the earlier pic Winchester? I notice the mag is different and it may be lighting but the wear looks different. Serial numbers dont look to be the same either.

Which gun? The lower one? The top one is AFAIK an all original rig. The two I posted in this thread are not the same gun. I sold the exploded view gun anyways and I think I sold it with a different mag. IIRC that mag in the exploded view was aftermarket but who knows now.

IIRC every original Mauser pocket pistol I've examined had a straw-colored trigger

Actually, the triggers were heat blued, as were the extractors.

I thought so. I never recall seeing one that was "strawed" which to me refers to how some of the small parts on pre 1938 lugers were finished.

Unless I am wrong (which is possible) that is not the same gun as the earlier pic Winchester? I notice the mag is different and it may be lighting but the wear looks different. Serial numbers dont look to be the same either.

Since mags are removable, and often fit several types of guns (example = Behollas / Stendas / Leonhardts accept Colt 1903 mags) its important to identify a semi regardless of the mag. Both guns that I posted were Mauser 1914s without a doubt. There were little subvariations made at different times (such as the early "humpback" SNs below 1000) but the only other models that look similar are the Mauser 1910 which was 25 acp and the Mauser 1934, which had a curved pistol grip frame esp the backstrap. Your gun you posted is also definitely a Mauser 1914. As far as serial numbers, they made 100s of thousands of these. I looked at examples in the 500k range and I think they might go higher than that.

Appreciate it.

gyvel said:

I am sure that he was referring to the lower one. Which is why I made this comment.

Unless I am wrong (which is possible) that is not the same gun as the earlier pic Winchester?

ooooooh. I thought you were referring to whether or not MY pics were the same gun as YOURS. You were asking if my pics were of the same gun, and no they were not. The second pic is a weimar era German (not for US) commercial and the earlier one is a weimar production police issued pistol.

Back