Match bullets for predator hunting?

I whopped one a little low with a 7mm Rem mag at close range many years ago. The spine was still holding the front and back halves together. Looked like a chain saw massacre.

jimbob. You are comparing apples to oranges. For Standard military applications you are correct. For sniper applications you are incorrect. The intent of the sniper is to Kill the target. "one shot one kill".

When using a 30 cal rifle. the match King in 30 cal is the preferred bullet of all of the snipers I have known.

In military it's not always just to humanely kill. Remember the Vietnamese, shoot someone with a 55 gr FMJ and wound them and then it takes one or two other soldiers to care for the wounded. Now you basically took at least two out or you really crippled them anyhow! But to the operator, I would hunt with a match bullet but if I seem a coyote while target shooting then he may get popped but we do owe it to the game a humane quick kill.

Yep,
Hydrostatic shock takes out a coyote nearly instantly, most just stiffen up and fall over.

Since I uploaded another mini14 defense photo the other day, here's one with an interesting secondary wound. The rear paw pad was torn off by a involuntary jump at the moment of impact. I couldn't figure out why my glove was bloody until i got it into the light. I was toting it by the back leg and it was quartered away when I shot it. Notice the bloody foot in the pic.

Enjoy the gratuitous picture of a pile of dead pigs, totally unrelated to this thread. I pasted the two together for another thread. I seldom slow down enough to get in front of a computer, so, my pics I do upload, get multiple uses.

attachment.php

I don't even see the point in such questions or discussions.
The match bullets are designed for optimum accuracy.
Hunting bullets are designed for max killing effectivness.
For quick, humane kills the hunting bullet is the obvious choice. Why risk otherwise?

I shot a doe a few years back with a Mosin Nagant using 174gr. S&B ammo that was loaded with Sierra Matchkings. It dropped her on the spot and the bullet went in and out. I know its not recommended but it works. If all I had was match bullets to hunt with I would have no problem doing it again. The bullet passed thru and the exit wound was huge. So much for going in a couple inches and disentergrating.

Yes they do work sometimes even though not really recommended. I would be worried about making a small hole in and a all hole out and the animal being mamed and never recovered or running into next county and taking hours to lay there and die.

I use match bullets for groundhog and coyote hunting.

They designed just like a varmint bullet. Very thin jackets and soft cores for rapid fragmentation.

A ricochet at a match with a bunch of people around is a very bad thing and the match bullets are designed with this in mind.

For deer, elk, and the like, a match bullet would be my very last choice.

Sent from my HTC Wildfire S A510e using Tapatalk 2

Military match bullets are of FMJ design. Match Kings are a thin jacketed, boat tailed, HOLLOW POINT. Hollow points are not issued per Haigue agreement.

Back