Marlin XL7 vs Savage Edge

The Edge/Axis is one of the new disposable rifles, no different than the Remington 710/770 series. They are made to be used by the guy who shoots less than a box of ammo a year. If you are "that guy" they will likely give you a lifetime of use. When they break, you just throw them away. I've seen several guys who had issues with both the Axis and 770 and repairs were going to cost more than the value of the gun.

The Marlin is the best of the bunch followed by the Stevens. For only a little more the TC Venture is better than either.

I had a Marlin X7 in .270 and it performed well over my expectations. I'm surprised nobody has mentioned the Ruger American yet.

Gimme a Marlin X-7 anyday...sub-MOA from the box if you can do your part.

Factory Fluted bolt, recoil pad, pillar bedded, adjustable target trigger, Button-rifled barrel w/ Target crown...all Standard...for around $299
In my view, the Marlin X-7 series only really NEEDS a Boyd's Laminate stock from the aftermarket...
but only because I'm not too terribly fond of synthetic stocks...

Step it up a notch to the X7VH Heavy Barrel if you really want to make the Remmy 700-Tactical guys wince when they see ya coming to the range :D
Nasty evil inexpensive rifle that eats Pimped-Out Remmy 700's for lunch....gotta love it!!
Even funnier when you think about Remmy & Marlin being owned by the same company ;)

And what Lunatic would EVER change out a Marlin barrel with anything other than OEM??
The thing about Marlin, they make KILLER barrels already...no need for any change to another maker...

Big shrek, I agree with you. Something I thought I'd never do LOL:rolleyes:. You said better than I could. I haven't tried the Ruger American yet, was waiting on somebody else to pull the trigger. I'm seriously considering getting a 7mm08 X7 Marlin and topping it with a Zeiss Conquest 3x-9x.

I have to throw in with the Marlin guys. I love my Savage model 10, but I have not been impressed with the Edge/Axis line. The Stevens is good - I have shot my step-dad's Stevens in .243 several times, now, and it has never given him or me any problems; I just like the Marlin better.

Big Savage fan over the years so it's hard for me to pick the Marlin (especially with their current rumored production issues) but I haven't been very impressed with the edge and still a little peeved at savage for attempting to replace the Stevens 200 with it. All that said:

1) Stevens 200
2) Marlin XS7 ( .308 short action! To heck with the .30-06)
3) T/C, Tikka, Used gun, etc., about anything else but the Edge.

Back