Marlin XL7 vs Savage Edge

Kendrickson

I'm looking at the possibility of purchasing a new 30-06. Money is very tight right now, so I am looking at budget rifles. I am considering three rifles: the Marlin XL7, Savage Edge. and Stevens 200. I already know plenty about the Stevens, but I am wondering how the other two compare with each other. I have seen good reviews for both rifles.

The Edge is a little less expensive than the Marlin. I know the the Marlin comes with the adjustable trigger, while the Edge does not, but is there any other compelling reason to spend the extra fifty dollars for the Marlin? Is there any siginificant difference in quality or reliability between the two rifles?
Thanks in advance for your responses!

The Marlin probably has better blueing. I've owned 2 new Savages over the last 5 years, and while the "Accu-Trigger" is very good, the finish on all of the metal is "Fair" at best. Either rifle will probably serve you well, stay away from the Stevens unless you have no choice:D

I'd go with the stevens or the edge. There are alot of aftermarket parts for the savages and they are easy to rebarrel and build later down the road if you go that route. The triggers can be tuned down to 3 lbs fairly easy or replaced for about $90 and they feel better than the accutrigger that way.

Buy the one that fits you best (most comfortable to hold; natural point of aim; etc...).

I very much prefer the Marlin, but it's your decision.

My wife bought an XL7 in .30-06 for me last Christmas (I compared several rifles and decided I hate the Savages, despise the Stevenses, and the Marlins felt good). I liked it enough to spend as much on a scope, as she did on the rifle.

My initial handloads were printing sub-half-inch groups at 100 yards with factory-second Core-Lokts. So... I decided to see just what I can squeeze out of this rifle. I am now working up loads with Lapua brass, and Woodleigh and Swift bullets. So far, I am not satisfied. I am impressed by my XL7. It is starting to exceed the performance of my other rifles - some by a healthy margin.

The Marlin has more features for your money than the 200 or the Edge.
The Edge has ZERO aftermarket stuff available. The 200 has a lot and the Marlin is getting more all the time.
If it were my money I'd eliminate the Edge completely and would very likely pick the Marlin over the 200.
BTW prefit barrels for Savage/Stevens rifles screw right on to the Marlin with only minor (some say none) modification.

I went to three stores yesterday to look at these rifles, and was only able to examine the Savage. It is pretty nice for what it is (a budget rifle), but certainly not as nice as the Remington SPS right next to it. I don't like the plastic magazine tab and the design of the trigger guard. I really wanted compare it to the Marlin XL7, but no store had them in stock (in fact, only one even had the Savage). At this point, I would probably lean more toward Marlin, but that may change when I actually see one.

I thought we just went through a thread just like this one?:rolleyes: Get yourself a Savage and Spend your money on optics and ammo!!:)

Last edited:
Marlin all the way. Finally got a chance to see the new Savage Edge a couple of days ago. I was not at all impressed. It was only $20 less than the Stevens 200 setting next to it. That extra $20 buys a lot more rifle. The Marlin is about the same price as the Stevens and I like it even better.

I would go with the Stevens 200, because it is nothing more or less than the old Savage 110 Rifle.
It is proven and tested, and there are parts and acesseries available that will fit it.

It was only $20 less than the Stevens 200 setting next to it. That extra $20 buys a lot more rifle.
Almost every review I've read about the Edge claims that the Edge addresses the shortcomings found in the Stevens 200. :confused:

I'm not aware of any shortcomings in the Stevens 200. I'm not a fan of Savage rifles, but acknowledge that they shoot very well. If I were inclined to buy a Savage I'd personally rather have the Stevens.

With either the Stevens or Savage I'd trash the stock and trigger and replace them with better options. The Stevens is at least $200 cheaper than the Savage and has the same barrel and action. This savings would be 1/2 the cost of a better stock.

I have and use a Stevens 200 in .243 Win. The only drawback I have been able to find, and it annoys me greatly, is the darn thing will not group 5 rounds any better than 3/4" at 200 yards, no matter how hard I try. I guess you should listen to the guys that say the gun sucks.
Kidding aside, I would sell my Rem. 40X target rifle before selling the Stevens or any of my Savages.
For whatever it's worth.

Not for sale at this time. What I said was that I would sell the 40X first, and I have no desire to part with it as yet.
However, I do get better groups with my Savage 10FP in .308. They make a heck of a gun for a crazy low price. Look like crap, but brother can they shoot.

Here is my XL7 270 winchester $281.00
10x40x56 scope side focus $350.00
Boyd's thumbhole $92.00
Caldwell swivel bipod 6" to 9" $49.00
Total $772.00
XL7270WIN.jpg

Last edited:
Impressed with the Accuracy of the Marlin

I have not fired a rifle since I was in the Army just over 20 years ago. I recently switched jobs and started working with 2 avid shooters one of which is prior Army also. Listening to them talk reminded me how I use to enjoy shooting long range targets 300+ meters and the shooting bug was starting to bit again. Last night I broke down a Marlin XL7 in a .243 and a Bushnell 3X9 scope with some 2 boxes quality rounds and 2 boxes of cheap 85g rounds to use for siting in the at 60 then 100 yards. With the cheap rounds at 60 yards, firing uphill, with a 9MPH right to left crosswind my first 3 rounds were 6 clicks low and 5 clicks right, but I was shocked that all three rounds were within ¾ inch grouping. I made the adjustment to the scope and shot another 3 rounds. All three rounds were on target in under ¾ inch grouping again and two of the three holes were over lapping. At 100 yards using the same cheap 85g rounds I put 3 more rounds on target in a ¾ inch grouping without needing to adjust the scope. At 150 yards the rounds hit 1 inch low and 1.5 inches left the grouping was 7/8 of an inch. At 200 yards the shots hit nearly 3 inches low and nearly 5 inches to the left in a 1.25 inch grouping. I bumped up to some better rounds that are 100g and hit the target at 200 yards in a ¾ inch grouping. I then went out to 300 yards and I hit ½ low and ¾ inch left in 1 inch grouping. I am amazed at how tight the groupings were and how little the round dropped at range with store bought rounds and a rifle scope combo that ran about $350.00

Back