Marlin XL7 .270

While we're talking about Marlin X7 series rifles, I just found out today that they're now (will be) available in short action calibers. They're calling it the XS7 and will be avail. in .243, 7mm-08, and .308, and you can get them with a synthetic, compact synthetic, or Realtree camo stock.

Also, looks like Marlin is offering the XL7 (long action) with wood stocks this year. Here's the link:

http://www.marlinfirearms.com/News/press.asp#2009_6

I recently purchased a Marlin xl7 in .270 then I put a Nikon Buckmaster 4.5-14x40 on it. It's my first rifle other then a .22 and I have to say I couldn't be happier. The trigger is awesome, the action is nice and smooth, the gun is lightweight but it doesn't kick that much.

Anyway, I sighted it in yesterday and fired off 3 last rounds. 1" group at 100 and that was with a dirty barrel, an unsteady rest, and I, a shooter of about 40 rounds of .270. It was with 130 grain soft points from federal, $16.99 for 20.

Im not saying it's a tack driver, but im pretty confident I can push it to under 1" at 100 yards. Especially after I get better, and maybe some better ammo.

Cobra...welcome to TFL. Where in S.O.? (I'm in Medford) Also, check out post #17...yes, you can do sub-moa with these guns, keep practicing and enjoy that rifle!

Last edited:
Thanks for the welcome! I am in Eagle Point. I recognized the range as soon as I saw your photo. Mine looks just like yours, I am getting the bipod in about a week.

Ya know I went to sleep last night thinking about a different 3 shot group that I totally blew off cause I wasn't done sighting in. I looked at the target today and realized, they are less then an inch apart.

I usually have two shots that are almost on top of each other, at the least they are touching. Then a little flyer, if that flyer didn't go so far on my last 3 shot group it would have been tighter than an 1" easy. The first two shots were almost the same hole.

Im young but im working on my arsenal, so far I have a 10/22 (first rifle), Smith and Wesson 22a-1 .22lr pistol, and of course my Marlin xl7 .270. Overall I have been shooting for about 5 months.

Very cool. PM me next time you head to the range, maybe I'll see ya there. Your situation sounds a lot like mine, as I'm just starting my gun collection too. (and one of mine is a 10/22 also...are you copying me?:D)

Haha that's funny. I'll be sure and do that, I will probably spend a lot of time down there when the weather gets a little warmer. It was pretty cold sighting in my rifle and now im sick. Should be over it in a few days though.

Its good to read that you guys are happy with yor new Marlin xl7.I ordered my 30-06 yesterday and can't wait to get it.It sure does feel like an addiction, have have just bought a remmy 870 tactical 12 gauge,Springfield Armory xdm 40,and now the xl7 and am looking for a 30-30 lver action.That range of yours sure is nice,the only one i can find around here is mostly a skeet shooting range with one 100 yard rifle bench.

Too bad about you're range situation, I'm (we're) pretty lucky here. Let us know how you like your -06 when you get a chance to shoot it.

Our range is pretty nice no dancing around that. multiple shotgun, archery, pistol, rimfire, and centerfire ranges available with overhead cover. I like it, $20 buys you shooting for a year.

Im sure you will love your marlin, I know I will never regret that purchase.

What kind of optics are you putting on it?

I went with a Nikon, much like the Marlin I got a great value for the quality. It's just that much sweeter to get an inexpenive rifle that shoots like the ones costing twice as much. When you pay a lot and get what you pay for it's an expected result, but to me, not as satisfying.

I have about $618 in mine with the scope, rings and bases, sling, and of course the rifle itself.

I went to wally world and picked up a Nikon Prostaff 3-9x 40 for $140,i know it will be good for 100 yards.I just hope i can use it for 150-300 yards or is that to much to ask for a 3-9x 40.

Sorry, D...don't mean to ignore you. To answer you question, yes, a 3-9 should be plenty for that distance. 3-9's are a common choice for hunting and most of your shots (depending on where you hunt) will probably be within 300yds. Last buck I shot was at 20yds.

ETA: Oops! I guess I assumed you will be hunting with it...my apologies if you aren't.

Last edited:
100 yard targets

all of you that are shooting 100 yards try some at 200 some rifles will do better at longer range than shorter.
also if you can't get it to shooting like you think it should remember the savage barrels fit it too and all of my savages have been very accurate barrels. For the 270 winchester 135 grain bullets have the better fps and muzzel energy of al the rest and also the better BC value.
I'm still trying to get my hands on a XL7 in 270 and catch it on sale too..

Remington is now making the Marlin at their plant.

I looked at a 2011 XL7 and it looks like Remingjunk is making them now. I also heard that Remington has shut down the lever gun production line, due to poor quality.

The gun shop I frequent had a Marlin produced 270 XL7W on sale, I bought it. Nice rifle.

Here we go again, have a winner like the 788 and instead of leaving it alone, how about changing it so it's not better than our 700.

Back