Marlin XL7 .270

gedenke

I finally found a place that has the new Marlin XL7 in stock so I went and put an order in. I'm getting a black/blue in .270 and it'll be topping it with a Burris Fullfield II 3-9x40. Can't wait 'til it gets here! I'll let you all know how it shoots!

I just got a circular from Cabela's yesterday. They're having a sale next week and apparently have the Marlins for $269!!! Just thought I'd let some folks know.

I just shot this rifle this past weekend at the range. My buddy picked one up a few weeks back. AWESOME rifle, not only for the $$...but in general. The trigger Marlin has put on it is really nice...wouldn't change a thing about it.

It was a great shooter and we were both getting very tight groups out to 200 yards (limit of the range).

I can't think of another rifle in its price range that even comes close to tell you the truth.

DOH! This always happens to me, as soon as I go and buy something it goes on sale the next week. Oh, well, from what I'm hearing I won't be unhappy with this gun.....c'mon, fedex guy! :D

Got the XL7 on Friday and I am indeed happy with it! I'm sure you've all read the reviews, so I'll skip that part. I did, however, change my mind on the glass. The Burris didn't quite fit the bill so I took it back and got a Leupold VX-I 3-9x40 instead. So far, I'm happy with that decision as well.

As for how it shoots, well, let's just say I'm working on it. I've put some 130gr Hornady Interlocks down range with 53-54gr of IMR4831 and so far the best I've gotten is 1.5" @ 100yds. But, the last two sessions have been pretty windy so I'm sure I can do better. I'm going to continue working a load for this gun, and I'll let you all know.

I'll post a pic later...

Glad to see this post

I just picked this same rifle up at cabeles for 269 and change Put one of cabelas Big game tactical scopes on it will be testing it out next weekend mines in 30,06 not 270.

I've almost got the XL7 where I want it. I worked on some loads this weekend and got the groups down to 1.15". That was with the 130g Hornady Interlocks and 57.0g of RL-22 seated at 3.20" O.A.L.

Here's a pic as promised:

XL7_b.jpg

how is the recoil on that 30-06 i looked one over but man alive is that thing light and i'm thinking it's probably be pretty stout. :confused:

Couldn't tell ya, mine is a .270 Win. And yes, it is light but it's got a nice cushy recoil pad, so I'm sure one could handle the -06. I've taken it out in the field a couple of times and the light weight is kinda nice.

Hornady

You might want to try this combo:

130g Hornady SST
BC: .460
IMR 4831 55g powder
COL 3.20

Gave me 3/4 in group out of my Stevens .270 @100yrds

Another one just as good or better:

130 Sierra SBT
Imr 4831 55.5g powder
COL 3.310
2950+ fps

good luck

Gives me 1/2 in group @100yrds

So Remington establishes that they can produce, even vicariously, a traditional steel-receivered rifle for less than the competition. This rifle is $100 cheaper than the piece of real crap 770. Gasp of all gasps...

Davis

Davis, good point!! Of course, give them a few months. They'll come up with a "custom shop" special (like they do with the 700's), with a fluted barrel and some-such, and then ask $1400 for it!!

Davis,
Funny that you mention it, but my buddy has one of those nasty 770's (no offense to those of you who have them) and it's hard to believe my Marlin is actually cheaper. No real comparison there.

All I will say is this: For those of you who are considering an inexpensive, decent hunting rifle, you will not be unhappy with the XL7. It may not be a sub-MOA tack driver, but with the right load and a steady hand, who knows...I've gotten mine to shoot just a hair over an inch @ 100.

Marlin xl .270 load

Hi guys I own a Marlin Xl7 .270 and i've been working on ammo loads for this refle for a few weeks now. the best i have found so far is:

130 grn. Hornady SST
46.0 grns or IMR 4895
Using R.P Cases and Magtech 9.5 primers
gives me a 5 shot group i can hind with a quarter at 150 yards

140's are flyin' goood....

Well, a buddy of mine gave me a few 140gr Hornady's (BTSP) he had lying around, and I shot em the other day. They flew really well under the same load I've been running the 130's at. I wasn't at the range on my rest, but out at the hunt camp shooting prone off a backpack, they grouped at about 1" maybe a little less. Looks like this cheapo little rifle may actually be a shooter. Mind you I never said "tack-driver"....but for a hunting gun....

Bravo Marlin!!

Well, I decided to try some 150gr Hornady Interlock SP in the Marlin and here's what I ended up with today:

Three shot groups @ 100yds:

48gr IMR 4831
3.20" OAL
Fed 210 Primer
Group -- .6" (.9" 2-grp avg)

50.5gr RL-22
3.20" OAL
Fed 210 Primer
Group -- .7" (.8" 2-grp avg)

Whoddathunk a $300 gun would run sub-MOA with absolutely no modifications?!:cool: Thank you Marlin!

Oh, yeah...for you "No pics? Didn't happen." types, here you go:
01_17_0.jpg

but my buddy has one of those nasty 770's

That's why I wouldn't buy one. I have 700's and they're excellent. I'd buy that Marlin, a Savage, or a Howa before I bought a 770, no offense to those who have good ones.

I shot a new out of the box Howa in .270 last November. The guy paid $399 with a scope. The trigger was sweet and we were both shooting 3/4" groups out of the box with factory ammo. I'd like to get one and work up loads for it. I do need an elk rifle... I see they make them in .300 mag... Tempting for $400 MSRP...

Back