Marlin Trapper 45-70 Govt.

I have owned several 45/70's over the years. I like how the round usually works on hogs and deer at close range. I have shot several hogs with it, this last year, shooting a Browning 1886 saddle ring carbine with a William's receiver sight. I love the 86 action, but decided I would like a scoped option, and recently purchased a new Marlin in the same configuration as above, except mine has a green painted over laminated stock, and William's open firesights on it. Mine is stainless but it's a blackened stainless and actually looks like it's blued.

Mine was purchased from CDNN and was a demo model that they had on sale at reduced price, so I got it a couple hundred dollars cheaper. I love the green stock, and the fact that is actually stainless but looks blued, however, I don't really care for the Williams fire sights, although they will work, however I think I will change them out for same sights and rail option as the OP has on his rifle. Mine has the big lever also, which I kinda like but takes a little getting used to.

I am not going to scout scope it however, and will be adding a 1 to 5 low powered variable of some flavor. I think Marlin has come back a little from the first days of the buyout but my action is a bit rough and I will be slicking it up a bit in the future.

Blue Duck, have a look at the Vortex Viper HS 2.5-10x44. It has a 4" Eye Relief is rated for the big bore lever guns. It has a large field of view of 10.9 - 47 ft at 100 yds. You can get it in a Plex or Dead Hold BDC reticle. I prefer the Plex for 100 yards or less. I'm picking one up at Scheels Thursday. It's not top quality glass but then it's a brush gun so we're not looking at long distance shooting. I think it will be just fine.

I just ordered the XS Lever Rail system, which I will install first, and after sighting in, I figure out what glass or red dot to get. I have trouble shooting with both eyes open, so usually want a very wide open low power, and generally prefer 2 x 7's or something that starts with 1 or 1.5 power. I have been looking at a Burris 1 to 5 with a lighted retical 30mm but might get a Leupold, although I like some of the vortex scopes and will talk a look.

Were I to buy a 45-70, that sort of handy brush gun is what I would buy.

I think your dog likes the color scheme.

Update time: I finally got out to the range with the 45-70 and let me tell you, I had a blast with that thing. Recoil is not bad at all. I think the kick of my Win 94 30-30 is sharper and it's not that bad. I was shooting 405g Remington Core Lokt ammunition and 20 rounds were gone in no time at all. My neighbor was a little leery of it but after one shot, I had a hard time getting it back from him. I only brought 40 rounds with me and wish I would have had more.

If any of you are leary of getting one because you've been told they kick like a mule go ahead and get it, it's just not true.

as long as you remember to buy a scope and rings that are impact rated for this caliber. I won't name brands that aren't because the list is long.

Interesting-I've never heard of scope and rings that are "impact rated". I've never read a scope manufacturer's literature limiting their center-fire scope offerings to cartridges having less recoil than the .45-70. To satisfy my curiosity, I'd like to see verified at least a few of the brands that are on that "long list".

Interesting-I've never heard of scope and rings that are "impact rated". I've never read a scope manufacturer's literature limiting their center-fire scope offerings to cartridges having less recoil than the .45-70. To satisfy my curiosity, I'd like to see verified at least a few of the brands that are on that "long list".

I think that's a good idea. Unfortunately I don't have the time to do it. Maybe you could do it and see if you can get it added as a sticky. I'm sure others would really appreciate it.

May you enjoy many happy days on the range with the new rifle. There is just something about the lure of a fine lever gun. :)

Ron

Quote:

I think that's a good idea. Unfortunately I don't have the time to do it. Maybe you could do it and see if you can get it added as a sticky. I'm sure others would really appreciate it.

I don't have any more time to waste than you do-especially when I haven't seen any evidence of and have doubts that a list rating scopes and rings for "impact resistance" actually exists.

Last edited:
Back