Marlin 35 Remington Rifle

Garand I am glad to hear you want to reload. I have been reloading for about 35 years now. I love it. And it sets me free from relying on factory ammo when there is yet another storage. Of course I have a large supply of primers, powder, brass, lead, bullet molds, bullets and all the stuff that goes with it. And I still reload all my ammo on the same Rockchucker press I started with. Its not fast but instead of staring at a TV I reload when I need ammo.

There is some start up cost but I just built my kit a piece at a time. Now I can't think of anything I need. Well maybe time to go shoot up some of the ammo I have loaded. Its nice to go shoot and the cost to do so is painless.

Those Marlins (several models of that type) are notorious for headspace problems, resulting in misfires. Some times, replacing the locking bolt will correct the problem, but a trip back to the factory is usually needed. If the user hand loads, neck sizing will often correct the problem.

Jim

If repair of a JM rifle is necessary, it is in the best interest of the owner to have the repairs performed by a good gunsmith that knows Marlins.
The Remington repair centers have been chalking up quite a few "losses" in the last year, due to lost parts, incorrect parts, and poorly fitted parts (worse than before it went in for repair).
On a brand-new Remlin, it's not a huge deal. But it can absolutely destroy the value of older models if they get sent back by Remington with the wrong barrel, or wrong bolt.

i have a 35 remington with jc higgons name on it have been told it was built by marlin. it was one of those deals i acquired 3 boxes of ammo and had nothing to shoot it in had to take care of that.

Those Marlins (several models of that type) are notorious for headspace problems, resulting in misfires. Some times, replacing the locking bolt will correct the problem, but a trip back to the factory is usually needed. If the user hand loads, neck sizing will often correct the problem.

Now you tell me.:mad:

I will just have to see when it gets here.

Don't worry about it, ratshooter.
It's unlikely to have bad headspace.
Even if it does, a new locking bolt (properly fitted) should fix the issue. It's rarely a bad chamber ... which should have been discovered and taken care of by previous owners by now.

I am not too worried about it. Matter of fact that is the first time I have ever seen it mentioned and I read a lot about lever action rifles.

I love my marlin in 35 Remington. It was my dads go to rifle in the 60-70's. Using a 200gr bullet in the brush this rifle is perfect! Drops all the deer I've shot with it 50-100 yrds in thick brush. Small light weight platform is perfect for a long walk in the woods here in Minnesota. Don't get me started with accuracy, this rifle will still print cloverleaf's at 50yrds. considering my dads cleaning method for soo many years was WD40 bath and a good wipe down of the exterior of the rifle. I don't think he even has a cleaning rod.

congrats, enjoy your new toy!

Well my package from midway came today. I got the dies and the brass but the Idiot that loaded the box didn't bother to include the 200 sierra bullets. Oh well. A call will get it straightened out.

I do get to pick up the rifle tomorrow. Yippee!!! I will try to get some pictures once I get the scope off.

For deer hunting in heavy cover, I like a carbine chambered in .30-30; one chambered in .35 Remington better and one chambered in .358 Winchester best. I'm sure you're going to like your little Marlin. I'd recommend installing a receiver sight on it like the Williams "FoolProof" or "5D".

I picked up the gun today. The first thing I did was got rid of the see thru mounts and the El Cheapo scope. That saved 15oz right there. A call to Midway about my package shortage and now bullets are on the way. They sent them express even though I told them that was not needed. But thats why I buy from them. They DO take care of their customers.

I cleaned the gun and boy howdy was it dirty. When I pushed a brush through the bore it looked like I fired a BP round. But it cleaned up well. I will clean it again in a few days just to make sure. There were no marks on the screws so I would assume it has never been taken apart.

I have wanted one of these for so long I am excited about getting it. I have a couple of guns I may sell I just don't shoot. I am a close range hunter and get the biggest kick out of getting close and making a quick, clean kill. The game deserves that.

I may get a peep for it. I like the Williams Guide sights that use the top scope mount holes. Its a more compact sight than the 5D or side mounted sights. But right now my gun fund has to recover a little. The guns final price was $440 and the reloading stuff was $165. Thats OK. I will always spend what it takes to be able to reload for a gun.

A friend of mine dropped a decent size black bear that was running in one shot with a 336 in 35.
I used it hunting before as well as a 336 in 30/30.
Now I got a 1895G in 45/70.
I love Marlin lever guns.
The 35 shot nice, recoil wasn't any more then a 30/30 imo.
We fed it the core-lokt rounds or 200g federal soft points.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Buffalo Bore makes a 220g JFP that goes 2200 fps which is pretty fast for one of these, especially with a bullet that heavy.
That's a bear/moose round I would say.
"Overkill" for deer, if there's such a thing as overkill.
They are $2.60 a round though so not exactly a inexpensive round.

Midway USA has remginton Core-Lokt rounds on clearance for $23.82 for a box of 20, I'd buy em up while they are that price.

Thanks for the suggestion but I will just go with the reloads when my bullets show up. That should be friday(tomorrow). I just don't buy much factory ammo.

I was watching a movie on Netflix last night called Full Metal Jacket. I bet most here have seen it. A little past the middle of the movie the camera team was going down the line of soldiers hidden behind a wall and one of the soldiers was holding a Marlin lever action. Now you may find this out of place for a movie about the Viet Nam war but it is based in fact.

I cannot remember the soldiers name but I have a picture of him and his name in an old Guns & Ammo magazine. He had a Marlin shipped over in 444 Marlin and called it his Bunker Buster rifle. Somewhere along the way he was captured and never heard from again. Just goes to show how popular a style of rifle can be and how much trust some have in a lever action.

I could get in the attic and get the guys name if its wanted. Maybe even scan in a picture of the page if the mods would allow it. That might be OK as long as I am not posting the whole article.

Well the UPS man just came and delivered my missing Sierra 200gr bullets. Now to get about 20 rounds loaded this weekend to experiment with and see what load shoots the best. WhooHoo! I like to reload.

Back