Marlin 336

I have replaced two front sites on 1894s with the regular Skinner. Skinner writes about it on his site.

They are taller than the buck horn. Height is the height.

What year is that Texan? I have a 71 with I think that same front sight. It it the ramp with the bead on it? This is just the info I am looking for too.

baddarryl,

It's a 1967 model. I also have a 1969 one that is near mint but I don't shoot it. Both have the same kind of front sight.

Yes it has a bead on it.

Deaf

Is the front site the issue? If the peep sight is taller than orginal rear site, regardless of what is in the front, I suspect you will need a new front site.

Little hard to measure cause buckhorns are farther up the barrell than most peep sites, which are mounted further back.

"A person should not have to learn how to use a site."

Direct ALL of your weepy "this site is so horribly, horribly hard to use!" snowflake comments to either TapaTalk or vBulletin, designers of the interfaces.

With the exception of TFL staff turning off quoting, all forum controls are Tapatalk or vBulletin driven.

If you don't like what you're getting here at TFL for free, and without embedded advertising (that's right, the owner of this site pays ALL of the bills), I'm sure there's another site out there that offers the same knowledge base for free, and free of invasive advertising.

Oh, wait, no. There isn't.

Finally, if you think that the front end is oh so confusing, you ought to try being an admin and working in the back end. I suspect your circuits would fry.

To put it bluntly, a syphilitic crack monkey convulsing on the keyboard could have done a better job of designing the back end.

But it's what we have to work with.

A baby suckles by instinct. Everything else in life is something you have to learn. That includes websites...:rolleyes:

Most Vbulletin sites are site up for the user to easily use. The people who run this have options turned off for some reason. Same thing with having to click to reply, there are few like that. One small one I know, didn't know how to change it.

I probably have more forum experience than most. Probably over 50-75k posts.

Doesn't really matter me. Why you want to be negative about attracting new users is beyond me. Why you want to make things more cumbersome on yourself, is probably for the same reason some said electriconic ignition is bad, and points are better, and said they would never use a microwave or one of those computers.

Last edited:
You have an opinion about what you think is best.

Congratulations.

Get a cookie and you'll also have dessert.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

As for taking it up with Vbulletin, you should learn a bit about vbulletin. You need to get out more.

While personnally I think Vbulletin is outdated, or atleast the version many use. But it cost to upgrade. I get it. But my comments about this site have nothing to do with vbulletin interface or design.

Any paticular reason you are so stuck in the mud and resistie? Attitude like that is what allows the site to keep you behind. Saying good enough, is good enough, when things could be better, is not a good quality in a person.

But come one, take some shots at me.

I am not evening talking about all the forum features out there, but just making this like other Vbulletin sites, from 15 years ago.

But come one, take some shots at me.

Unless those shots come from a Marlin 336, looking to match front sight height to a peep rear, then we're OT enough to close the thread.

Last chance folks...

As I said, if you don't like the way things are here at TFL, there is absolutely nothing to keep you here.

If you don't like it, as I said, please find another free site that gives you everything you get here with none of the advertising. Or found your own site, which you can configure and to your heart's content.

If you choose to stay, though, understand that for the foreseeable future the look and functionality of this board are not going to change just because you want it to.

Now that you have a definitive answer, you need not raise the question again.

I am not asking you to change it. Just wondering why you don't? Why this site is this way?

Tons of free gun sites out there. Everyone has a culture, This one is unique. Somebody wanted it that way.

You must realize you are a different, and like it. Instead of saying we have features turned off, because like the Amish we find modern society keep people from working together, or _______. But instead you just get crabby when pointed out your choice to be different here.

Stand tall with your choice. We do it because we think it is better., because______.

Either way, with Skinners on Marlins you typically need a new front site. He does a big write up on it on his site.

I said that you didn't need to raise the issue again.

Now I'm telling you.

Do not raise the issue again.

That's the only warning you get.

Beserker,

I owe you a public apology for my comments in this thread.

You asked questions and made observations about TFL that we have fielded many times over the years, but that is no excuse for my aggressive and overly hostile reaction.

I hope you will accept my apology.

Regarding your questions/observations...

You are correct, we have made the decision to go without things like the quote button and avatars because staff as a whole feels that they do more to distract from TFL's purpose than to enhance it.

Specifically regarding quotes, when there was a quote button that allowed easy quoting, multiple users would often chain lengthy discussions into a series of repetitive quotes simply to add a very brief and often innocuous response, something like "right!" or even "+1."

I know that for a fact because I was guilty of it in my early days here.

By making posters work a little harder to create a quote, it makes them think harder about what they're quoting, why they're quoting it, and it virtually eliminates endless chain quoting.

As for avatars, I THINK (but am not certain) that they were allowed in the earliest days of TFL, but they became distractions when people began using less than... appropriate... avatars. It was felt that the potential existed for the avatars to do more harm to the image of firearms owners as a whole than good.

Regarding The High Road, it began as a spinoff from TFL when TFL closed down for several years over a decade ago. I can't remember exactly when it was, but it was sometime after the 2000 election and the 2001 attacks. That's why you see many of the same staff members here and there.

When TFL reopened, THR was well established and continued as a companion board, sister board, whatever you want to call it, as it was owned and operated by other individuals.

Hopefully this provides you with some insight as to what TFL is and why we do some things the way we do.

And, once again, I offer you my most sincere apologies for my actions and comments, which were not in keeping with the fraternal nature that all firearms owners should share amongst ourselves.

No biggie.

I like peeps. I really don't like Marlin's buckhorn rear sites, hard to line things up. I prefer a dot and square notch in rear.

I handled Sako that had white dot in front, and white line in rear. But this was 30-06, and probably not as fast handling as my 1894 44mag with peeps.

I tried making my own dovetail file with bench grinder. Wasn't happy. Over paid probably, but I like the one I bought from Skinner. I know have a belt sander. Maybe that would work better.

One thing I don't like about Skinners front site is that it is ramped. I prefer dot. Though I could paint tip orange. Ramps can be useful for long range shooting, but not what I use it for.

Back