Marlin 336

Marlin 336 in 30-30. Got mine in fall of 1972. It is my go to rifle when hunting brush in fowl weather. Have an old Tasco scope with williams see through mounts on it.

Highest recommendation

I have a 336 that I bought new two years ago. Good gun with no issues. I put a better trigger in it and it's a real shooter. I would say it's my favorite rifle.

Todd

Sent via Todd's IPhone using Tapatalk.

336/sks

I have a shootin buddy with both, he says the sks is for fun and the 336 for huntin. I agree, I have handled and shot both, the 336 is lighter, & a little longer, but better balanced. recoil is the same.

This is my sons Marlin in 35 Remington and a dandy northern California muley.

Jack

Marlin5x6blacktail.jpg

I Have been toying with the idea of picking up a marlin 336 or an 1895 cowboy but I am kind of leaning towards the 336 because of ammunition prices, what are your thoughts on the marlin 336. Instead of getting a marlin another option would be to get a Russian sks and deck it out withall tapco acessories.

If you don't reload or don't want to then the 336 in .30-30 would be a good choice.

On the other hand if you will be reloading then the .45-70 has much versatility (300-550 gr bullets). Can be loaded from trapdoor to full house bruiser's.
Even trapdoor loads will easily kill a moose at 100 yards.

You can install a picatinny style rail on the marlin for a scout scope with quick detach rings and still have peep sights installed.
I've seen one's with a rail on the bottom of the mag tube for rail flashlights and such.

I wouldn't bother with an sks. The newest Marlins I saw yesterday were actually good. Smooth operating and, no gaps in the wood to metal fit.
The ones made by Remington have "MR" stamped and, those made by Marlin have "JM" stamp.

Last edited:
I own two Marlins, my .444 and my 1894c in .357. Both are great guns based on the basic 336 frame. I did have to send my .444 back to the factory to fix incurable jamming episodes back in 2009, but they did a great job getting it back into working order. Works well today.

For those that don't want the recoil of a 45-70, the .444 offers another great woods gun that can handle anything in North America with the right ammo such as the Buffalo Bore 335 gr at 2025 fps for over 3000 ft-pds muzzle energy. It is my dedicated woods gun for Idaho where they do have grizzly but hopefully they are going the other direction from me and not at me any time soon.

Not sure what would be worse, getting messed up by a grizzly, or getting run over by the Feds if I ever had to use my weapons in self defense against a grizzly. The recent cases are not comforting on that last option.

I really like the 336 platform, the foregrip is bigger than a M94 Chester and it has a pistol grip. Mine is a model 375 in .375 Winchester.
It averages 2" @ 100 yards from the bench with 200, 220 or 260 grn bullets.:cool:
Those that don't like levers, have probably never hunted with one. In the dense woods of western WA. they are right at home.

SKS

Are SKS still available? Whats a good price for one? i can't seem to find one, went searching and ended up with yet another Mosin nagant because i found it first and the price was right.:confused: can't seem to find one.
-Corey

tahoe2

I really like the 336 platform, the foregrip is bigger than a M94 Chester and it has a pistol grip. Mine is a model 375 in .375 Winchester.
It averages 2" @ 100 yards from the bench with 200, 220 or 260 grn bullets.
Those that don't like levers, have probably never hunted with one. In the dense woods of western WA. they are right at home.

+1 tahoe2. Nothing wrong at all with lever rifles. That is all I own at present from Henry, to Marlin to Browning BLR. I guess I am a bit hooked on these rifles. I can't for the life of me understand why people disparage these great guns. On the other hand, their complaints fall on deaf ears since the criticisms are just unfounded.

That's true Alaska, I also love my model 99 in .300 Savage, it's a good long range lever(200+ yds).
200 around here is a long shot.

I've got both. A '87 30AS in .30-30 & a /144\ Norinco SKS.

Both are great guns & as accurate as I am.

SKS was bought as a knock-around, bug-out type gun, but is as accurate as the Marlin & may well get drug out to the woods, come fall.

I simply love the Marlin. Leverguns just work for me & the .30-30 is perfect for the woods we hunt. Put a Skinner peep sight on 'er & put young fork-horn in the freezer with 'er last year.

I'd say you couldn't go wrong with either, but if I had to choose, I'd get the Marlin.

I just picked up a 336W yesterday and I'm headed to the range this afternoon. I found mine in a pawnshop and got her for $299 OTD. Gotta love 'em. I also have an 1894 in 44Mag. great shooter and fun even for the kids.

I have owned a Marlin 336 in .35 Rem. since 1970ish . . .

An SKS Paratrooper since approx. 1990.

Love them both and hunt with them both. They have both taken whitetail and I have to say that the SKS with hollowpoint ammo leaves a far, far, more impressive exit wound than the core-lokt .35.

Marlin is 4X scoped; SKS is peep sight with Williams Firesight up front.

Rmocarsky

Back