Marlin 22 39A backfire or bad ammo concerns

Plinkers, Hunters and Target

I am not picky on LR. ammo but differ in the service. I have Plinkers, Hunters and Target ammo. Some plinkers do not shoot well in some of my autos. I do have some cross-over. Heck, I even shoot Thunderbolts. On the Target side, I shoot the higher priced brands but know shooters that literally spend hundreds on Target ammo. ….. ;)

Regardless, if a particular ammo performs badly once, you will start anticipating it again. These become Plinkers and as long as they're safe to shoot, I don't pay much attention. I generally relegate all bulk-packs to plinking. ….. :)

Be Safe !!!

I would call the failure of the case 'catastrophic'. And I would check the bolt face to determine if hot high pressure metal cutting gas has cut the bolt face.

Why would a case head blow out? Case heads do not do that unless there is the absence of case head support and or the case head is soft. I can not go with the advise; "It's OK there little buddy you just keep shooting them there little grenades".

I have never had 22 case head blow out then again I have never shot 22 ammo through a POS 22 rifle.

F. Guffey

So, a Marlin 39 or a Ruger 10/22 are POS 22 rifles to you?

Not to me...

The .22 RF case doesn't HAVE a case head like centerfire cases do. It has a hollow rim, making it even slightly weaker than "balloon head" centerfire brass.

Usually, this is more than strong enough.

Why would a case head blow out? Case heads do not do that unless there is the absence of case head support and or the case head is soft

I would call the failure of the case 'catastrophic'.

It's OK there little buddy you just keep shooting them there little grenades".

And then there is hot, high pressure metal cutting gas, if our little buddy continues firing cases that will rupture when fired the rifle will be rendered scrap. I do not see how calling them plinkers gives the rifle an exemption.

F. Guffey

Listen to the firearm

I all the years I have shot .22LR, I have only had "one" case separation and that was in a Semi. I did find the case but never the base/rim. I suspect that most shooters have never experience a .22 case separation. As I said before, it's rare and shy away from that brand, not because of that potential problems but because of all the other symptoms that that brand presented. It seemed under-powered and inconsistent …. :rolleyes:

When shooting a .22 Semi, there is a rhythm and even though you have hearing protection, it's easy to tell the difference in that rhythm including mis-fires. That ammo also produce an excess of dirt or whatever it is. About all you can say about that ammo is that it shoots and again, relegated to non-semi use.

Be Safe !!!

Last edited:
Look like it's possible that you had an OOB (out of battery detonation). You might have a carbon ring in the chamber, that fails to seat the round properly. Try rotating a chamber brush with a drill and carbon remover mixture.

Bingo: Per above, then try a different known ammo mfg (Federal not Remington) and if that works you can try your original stuff. If it works with Federal and not the other, pitch it.

And agree, give the criticisms a rest, OP put in non needed info, but he got to the heart of the issue and listed gun and ammo, sheese, that far more than we often get on a first post.

Mild simply say TMI not related and good enough for better post in the future.

Sounds great if you live in a simple world but the OP has listed this question on different forms, one of the forms is so dysfunctional they are calling each other names; unless being dysfunctional is the norm.

F. Guffey

I would call the failure of the case 'catastrophic'.

I say that because the case head did not have case head support. If the case failed with case head support the side of the case would have blown out. All of you that have had case head failure when firing 03 rifles are experts on case head failures.

A mind boggling thing: The 03 has .090" unsupported case head when case head protrusion is measured from the case head to the bottom of the extractor cut. And then there is another group of experts, they insisted some 03 had .250" unsupported case head.

F. Guffey

think back to the time you experienced the failure of the case in the 03:eek:
The failure/hole in the case was in the side of the case head and matched the extractor cut.

F. Guffey

Years ago I had a case head on a .22 Federal separate in a Marlin model 60. It destroyed the internals of the rifle. I always assumed it was double charged from the factory from the sound it made and the damage done.

I had a box of ammo [from at least the 80s] that had trouble loading [wax on bullets issue] and the case split every 2nd round fired.

This was in an older revolver, with firing pin on the hammer. Sparks flew through the firing pin slot in the frame [where the hammer goes down] and into my face.

Glad I had my shooting glasses. after 2nd time on same cylinder, I stopped and took that box/lot out of my ammo supply. Too dangerous.

That one has split in a line at the impact area.

It seems that I see the firing pin mark at the top of these cases, and the blown out area would then line up with the extractor.

When was the last time you took the bolt out, removed the extractor, and cleaned under it?

Might investigate that too.

But, there were a lot of other good suggestions. If you used shorts or longs for a while before the LR, then the out of battery firing might well be the issue.

However, I have trouble seeing exactly how this could happen, if the lever were locked home each time. Unless it fired on using the lever, and not pulling the trigger?

I had THAT happen on a Savage 99. Slamming the lever home caused the striker to fly off the sear and fire the rifle- when it was close to out of battery. Scary. [I've fixed it though].

Back