Marlin 1895 sbl 45-70.

EMN89

My gf just told me that I'm getting a marlin 1895 sbl in 45-70 as an early Christmas present tomorrow! My question is what would be a good scope to put on it and what ammo would you recommend? Thanks for your help.

Eric.

I have no Idea as far as the scope goes.

For ammo. I would suggest starting with the standard pressure ammo first. Leave the Buffalo Bore magnum stuff for the elephant hunters.

I was thinking about a fixed 4 power scope of some sort, as far as ammo i was thinking about probably the remington green box or the leverevolution.

I have the Caballas leverevolution scope. While its kind of cheep (both in price and cheaply made)but it works outstanding for the leverevolution ammo.

At the range I can set a target out to 300 yards (very long shot for a 45-70) and do well hitting it

If you can stand the non-traditional look, a red dot sight makes a great scope for a .45-70 or any other hunting rifle chambered for a caliber that's typically used at shorter ranges.

Put a quality receiver sight like Williams or Skinner and learn to use it. You will be very well served within the range of this rifle.

Great GF! I have a 1948 Marlin 336 with a fixed Burris 4x Look similar to the early post with the pics of his Leupold. Been great for years. I am spoiled with the quality of the earlier Marlins, as there is no comparison. I want a 45-70, but was under impressed with what Remington has done to the brand, are they produced in China? It seems so. I hope it works out well for you.

Put a quality receiver sight like Williams or Skinner and learn to use it. You will be very well served within the range of this rifle.

^^This

These rifles work well with peep sights. Far less bulky and lighter than a scope. I have a Williams receiver sight and fiber-optic front sight on my Guide Gun. Works great even with my old eyes.

As previously noted in Post #8:

- The stock iron sights weren't too bad, but I put a WilliamsFP peep on it to establish load preferences.
- (then my mid 60's eyes finally said "...put a lo-pwr Leupold on it, stupid...."
That turned it from a deer rifle to a woodchuck getter out to a considerable distance.

(Still, I also shoot the Rolling Block and the Highwall using an MVA Vernier tang/globe front. But rifles like that are "sporting." The Marlin is all business.)

While all the traditionalists are going to say a peep sight is the best way to go, when I had my 1895, it wore an old Weaver 2.5x Post/crosshair scope.

When I disposed of the rifle as excess to my needs, I kept the scope. Post reticles are hard to find these days!

I have already made my mind up that I'm putting a scope on it, my eyes aren't the best and i can't see open sights in low light conditions so I much prefer a scope that's why I am thinking of putting a low power scope most likely a leupold on the rifle.

This is a cheaper scope but just to give you and idea. It's a 1-4 x 24 with long eye relief. And you can illuminate the mill dot cross-hairs either red or green. http://www.amazon.com/UTG-1-4x24-Relief-Mil-dot-Reticle/dp/B005EOV1GY/ref=pd_sim_sbs_sg_3 I have one on my 1895SBL. It's perfect for this rifle. Close up or out past 100 yards.

31caOQSydoL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

More info. http://www.leapers.com/prod_detail....level2=&itemno=SCP3-1424MDQ&status=&mtrack=4m

They also make one with a circle dot radical. http://www.leapers.com/prod_detail....level2=&itemno=SCP3-1424CDQ&status=&mtrack=4m

Last edited:
I'd hold off on a scope till you make sure the gun's functional.
If it's built well enough to keep, you can move on to the next step.
Denis

A good ghost ring peep sight works very well. My friends that use that are very happy with it as it's fast and accurate.
I like to use premium ammo especially Corbon DPX with the 300 gr Barnes or the Winchester 300 gr Partition. Less recoil with the 300 .I assume the game in VA will just be deer but in any case it's been rare for me to need any more than one round !! :D

Yes I will be hunting deer with the rifle, I know the 45-70 is over kill but I have always wanted one for some reason. I was thinking of trying the 325 grain leverevolution ammo, I have heard of feeding issues with them but I figured it wouldn't hurt to try a box.

I have a Leupold VX-2 2-7 on mine and love it. I should mention my marlin is a .44 mag but both are shortish range rifles.

I have since shrank those groups to about 2" at 100 yards when I am having a good day, the scope makes it a lot easier of course. I liked this VX-2 so much I got a VX-1 Scope for my new marlin XT-22.

my brother in law uses a redfield revolution 2-7x on his with see through rings so you can still use the peep sights. it weighs half a ton when it's fully loaded but man it's a great brush gun.

Back