Marksmen: How to Improve?

When we shot four position smallbore back when I was in High School, our coach had a very strict regimen for the cleaning of the club-owned Winchester target rifles.

We cleaned them. Once a year. ;)

"If I can drill the center once, I should be able to do it consistently, right?" [doc540]

Right. Triple right when you throw in optics and a rest.

If I miss my morning cup of joe, it shows. Very strong coffee, (not the corner donut-shop swill) I mean a heavy dark roast, makes all the difference.

Backrub--
So If I ever get into a gunfight should I fire about 10 rounds past his head first to warm my barrel up? Lol
Try to avoid getting into a gunfight with a .22lr bench rest target pistol. However, if it is a close range gunfight, I have some that would make excellent clubs.

--Bill

I dont know- have you ever been shot with a 22 bullet? I think youd be flouncing around on the ground screaming. lol I sight my deer rifles before deer season and dont again until after its over, unless gun gets damp or something like that. If im shooting against someone on the bench I like to shoot 3-4 times to warm barrel up too.

I would avoid caffine before a trip to the range. All guns are different. Ammo is different.
Experiment with different brands of ammo when they become available to see what your gun likes.
You might consider buying a copy of Successful Shooting by Bill Pullum & Frank Hanenkrat. I've had that book for years & it's still a go-to reference for me when I get off track.

My MKII with dot scope @35yrds and Winchester Super X ammo has put 10rnds into a quart oil bottle top in a rest. They are extremely accurate guns. Try different grips also.

Toolman said:
I would avoid caffine before a trip to the range.

I'd recommend sticking to your normal routine, whatever it might be. If you're a coffee drinker, avoid caffeine beyond your normal dose, but otherwise drink what you normally do. I'm a coffee drinker myself, and didn't find it necessary to avoid it when I made the little clip below. Much more important is your mindset. Again, if it's not in balance with the rest of your game, work on your mental game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lmy5mkjpUNI

Back