mark-up on guns?

I have been in the machining trade most of my life. This is often a topic of discussion when someone prices a new rifle. Most of us could not figure out how Winchester or Remington could make money on a rifle with everyone taking a piece of the pie. The stock portion (Wood) must have a lot of "Fall off" due to internal flaws not seen. Disposing of chemicals from bluing must have increased the cost in the last 20 years. No wonder the larger companies started cutting corners on quality.

But maybe you can share with us the hard and fast flat rate % then?
everyone is saying 10-15%.. well 10% on a 120 dollar hi-point is 12 bucks.. does that sound right to you?

I would if I could, but there isn't any hard and fast rate. It tends to run from 20-25% or so. That might seem like a lot, but it really isn't when rent, insurance, workman's comp, advertising, salaries, etc, etc have to come out of it.

The "mark-up" on firearms is an interesting topic. The difference between the ACTUAL price of the firearm that is sold and the seller's cost of that firearm is a function of the market. In other words, it is a question of economics in the relatively competitive market for new and used firearms - in short, that is the result of the effect of supply and demand on price. A seller (whether private or a licensed dealer) obviously controls their own decisions but no seller controls the market and, therefore, no seller can actually control the mark-up. A seller can sell or refuse to sell at the current market price. Our experience in recent years with respect to the supply, the demand, and the price of AR type rifles is a good example of the variables that affect mark-up.

Back