Manufacturing SMG's YOURSELF

ak

are semi auto ak pistols legal? I see them advertised all over but what are the legalities of these,, also is there a legal select fire ak pistol? I live in a state where select fire guns can be legaly owned,, but what about "pistols"?

Yes, AK pistols can be legal as long as they are registered as a pistol.

A select fire AK pistol would have to be registered with the NFA as a MG.

An MG can be either a rifle or a pistol; still registered the same.

Who do you register (is that even done?) with? The batf site says that you can make your own firearms as long as they are not MG's but you don't have to tell them (or am I wrong?). It doesnt say you have to serialize them if you don't want to (but helpful if barney comes swinging his nightstick and asks for an apple only to "find" a seemingly untraceable therefore illegal weapon) but it is recommended to help aid in tracking it if its used in a crime. Now, if you are legally making a S/F pistol for uncle sam, you would need to tell the atf within 24 hrs of making the reciever I believe it said.

Takes alot more than just welding a few parts together as far as macs are concerned.The open bolt smg mac is a different animal altogether than the semiauto version that uses a hammer and a spring loaded short firing pin.The internal parts are totally different as also the bolt is different.

Without assembling an open bolt smg such as the mac series, correctly, could create a situation that might cause premature detonation of the primer,aka instant handgrenade, plus the trip to the bighouse and fines.

To get around the SBR ,you would have to start with a virgin receiver that started off as a pistol and registerd originally as a pistol receiver.Ak pistols are legal and dont require an special 200 dollar nfa tax, which is why you see them without the stock.Adding the stock is what changes its status.

Back