Manufacturing SMG's YOURSELF

DBOUNCE1

FIRST OF ALL I JUST WANT TO START THIS BY SAYING, I AM IN NO WAY EVEN ENTERTAINING THE IDEA OF MANUFACTURING A FIREARM MYSELF!

I JUST HAVE A FEW QUESTIONS....

The other day i was looking around on gunbroker for parts for the old marlin .22 i'm restoring i know it's nothing special but it was my first gun that was given to me by my dad. Anyway i came across some parts for a Mac 10 and such not, so my curosity got the best of me and i had to take a look so anyway i began to look deeper and my search led me to Cobrayparts.com and there i think you will find all the necessary parys to build a Sub Machine Pistol yourself i mean you have to weld the magazine well yourself and buy an upper but really is it all there?

So aside from that question, the reason for this thread is to get an answer for this one......

Is it really this easy to a SMG into the wrong hands? The lower reciever sides and bottom center are sold seperately and you have to weld them yourself so it isn't considered a receiver so it dosen't have to go through a FFL

There are lots of illegal ways to manufacture a SMG yourself. What you describe sounds plausible, but it would take some skilled welding and finishing on the part of someone. Then to say that it was welded correctly and that the internals fit correctly and functioned correctly would be difficult but do-able. Still highly illegal, it would be way less work to modify (illegally) an existing firearm to fire full auto. This is why NFA owners hate the NFA. It seems like legit auto's are frowned upon because the bad guys guns are all illegal. Most 'common folk' think all MG's are illegal anyway.

If you could get a signed Form 1 and make all the parts yourself. Then with no interstate sales, you could be legal, but ATF is not signing form 1s

FIRST OF ALL I JUST WANT TO START THIS BY SAYING, I AM IN NO WAY EVEN ENTERTAINING THE IDEA OF MANUFACTURING A FIREARM MYSELF!

Why the disclaimer? It's not illegal to manufacture a firearm.

I would be more interested in ponying up the cash for an Ingram and then reworking it to fire drum fed 7.62 out of a 20" barrel.

Advertisement:

Buy parts from us and make your own machinegun!

Easy. No problems. Our parts require only a little work.

Give us your full address so we can assist you.

Bobby and Tommy Francis Enterprises

(Jim)

That must be the Bob and Tom from the radio! Gee I never knew they were gun guys......! Where can I buy those illegal parts, I just have to git me sum!

:p :p :p :p :p :p

Been there, done that. Paranoia is the key word. You used to be able to own the parts, but, putting them together is what got you 10/10,000, in San Quentin. Thanks, but no thanks.

Don't know the laws now. That was so long ago, Nixon was president...

S

Even owning the parts is the same as assembling/operating an illegal MG. Just like having a standard, legal AR and a 11.5 inch upper in the smae house is illegal. BUT just having a 11.5 upper with no other ARs in the house IS legal. GO figure

SW

Even owning the parts is the same as assembling/operating an illegal MG. Just like having a standard, legal AR and a 11.5 inch upper in the smae house is illegal. BUT just having a 11.5 upper with no other ARs in the house IS legal. GO figure

Not true as far as my research goes...

There is no "constructive possesion" of an SBR.

I may be wrong but I have extensively researched the issue so I could complete a few projects.....

Not true as far as my research goes...

There is no "constructive possesion" of an SBR.

I may be wrong but I have extensively researched the issue so I could complete a few projects.....

DEPARTMENT OF THE TREASURY
BUREAU OF ALCOHOL, TOBACCO AND FIREARMS
WASHINGTON, DC 20226

MAR 29 2000

903050:GKD

Dear Mr. :

This refers to your letter of January 22, 1999, requesting
information on the legality of possessing a registered full auto
AR15 and also possessing one or more semiautomatic pre-1994
assembled AR15 rifles. You appended a number of specific questions
relating to this subject which will be answered in the order
received.

<snip>

4. Can you have several short barrel uppers (less than 16 inches)
for the registered AR and still own semi-auto AR's?

The definition of a firearm in section 5845 of the NFA includes a
rifle having a barrel or barrels of less than 16 inches in length.
An individual possessing more than one short (less than 16 inches)
barreled upper receiver for a registered AR15 machinegun along with
one or more semiautomatic AR15 rifles would have under their
possession of control an unregistered short barreled rifle, a
violation of the NFA.

<snip>

We trust that the foregoing has been responsive to your inquiry.
If we can be of any further assistance, please contact us.

Sincerely yours,

[signed]
Edward M. Owen, Jr.
Chief, Firearms Technology Branch

http://www.cs.cmu.edu/afs/cs.cmu.edu/user/wbardwel/public/nfalist/atf_letter90.txt

Well, heck!

I don't remember reading that one...I thought I read all of them.

I stand corrected.

If however you have an AR-15 pistol and an AR-15, I don't think they can tag you for "constructive possesion" of an SBR..

As long as there is one upper for one receiver....

I am going to throw in my opinion on this one:CRAP!!!

I wonder if they would actually try to prosecute for this, or if it one those "add-ons" when someone gets in trouble so they can really lay the hammer down?

Yes you can own AR pistols and AR rifles as long as the AR pistol top stays on the AR pistol lower. You can own a pistol and put a rifle upper on it but not the other way round'

SW

Beating a dead horse

I feel obligated to point out (in every one of these threads) that these parts are not illegal, nor is their possession illegal, nor is assembling them illegal: as long as you own a legally registered machine gun.
People see machine gun parts for sale and automatically assume that the reason they are being sold is for the purpose of illegally manufactururing a machine gun.
There are many thousands of people in this country that legally own machine guns. They sometimes need to buy parts for them. These parts are out there for sale and it is all perfectly legal.

"An individual possessing more than one short (less than 16 inches)
barreled upper receiver for a registered AR15 machinegun along with
one or more semiautomatic AR15 rifles would have under their
possession of control an unregistered short barreled rifle, a
violation of the NFA."

BS
This of course assumes that you don't own one or more AR15 rifles that ARE registered as short barreled rifles. I own three as well as an AR15 pistol that has the receiver marked as a pistol. So, the above statement is not nessessarily true.

I own three as well as an AR15 pistol that has the receiver marked as a pistol. So, the above statement is not nessessarily true.

You don't meet the requirement by not having a single, non-SBR registered AR-15 rifle plus one extra <16" upper, therefore per ATF logic, you do not have the ability to construct a non-registered SBR.

I wonder if ATF considers your pistol AR along with an extra AR shoulder stock to be in possession of an unregistered SBR. Bet you have more shoulder stocks than you have rifle receivers. :)

Back