Man's Best Friend

Dogs are not pets. They are family. It hurts like hell when you lose a member.

My preference would be a 1911, preferably one with a bare slide if possible. The left slab gives a lot of real estate to engrave anything you want. Plenty of room to do the tribute justice.

Another option, it's probably easier to get a nice set of grips custom engraved with anything you want. 1911 grips lend themselves very well to projects like this. Add in the select wood of your choice, it makes for a very nice presentation.

First, let me say that I feel your pain. About 6 weeks ago, I had to put down my 14 1/2 yr old yellow lab. We rescued her when she was 10 months old and was my 24/7 companion for over 13 years. As said above, they are members of the family, not pets.

You might want to look at Michael Gouse for your engraving project. His website says he will buy guns for you at dealer cost for engraving (you will want to verify this is you choose to use hime). Have heard high praise for his work.

http://www.gousefreelancefirearmsengraving.com/

FWIW,

Paul

Very sorry for your loss...we've been a lab family for going on 40 years now. All but one are gone now...but never forgotten. Time for you to bring on a new puppy...it'll ease your grief and the pup will bring you on too. Regrets, Rod

I've figured out my gun to honor my buddy Chevy

I have Colt 1911 Series 70 Gov Model in brushed stainless coming from Buds.

A set of Dupont Corian Ivory-Lux Grips With Medallions coming from NCO.

And working with a local engraver on the artwork.

So if all goes smooth I should have my build done by mid March.

I was going to go with engraved grips, and I may still, but for now I'm going to go with off the shelf grips and I will spend the next 4 or 5 months and try to scrimshaw a set of custom ivory grips with Chevy's picture on them. I think I can pull that off myself. If not I'll get them engraved as well.

Thanks for the thoughts and ideas and when it's done I'll post a pic

Bob

How about engraving his image on a shotgun? Especially if you hunt ducks/birds. That would be fitting for a Labrador. And more space for the engraving.

Browning Maxus hunter shotgun already has birds engraved on it with plenty of room for an engraving of " chevy's" picture and name on the left side of the receiver................from ....DOG LOVER.....

What a nice idea. I will second the vote for Dan Wesson 1911 stainless or any other 1911 you can find with a relatively plain slide. Stainless guns are good for engraving since you wouldn't have to reblue the slide. A CZ-75 in stainless would be cool too. Maybe you can post pictures of your gun when you get it done.

I met with the engraver yesterday. Colt 1911 70. Ivory grips. Brushed stainless. Can't wait to see the first design proofs. The entire process from design to finished piece is about 6-8 weeks

Back