Man Responding to Burglary Shoots Off Own Leg - GRAPHIC

Status
Not open for further replies.
NotMeNotYou
"No snide comments, no "woulda, coulda, shoulda", this poor guy is going to live with the result of his actions for the rest of his life. Very, very sad story."

Thanks man. As on another forum I belong to I'll play W/C/S for a moment, but I want to say that I appreciate what you said :)

Was my accident entirely my fault? Yup. Was it due to poor weapon handling and outright clumsiness? Absolutely. Preventable? Of course. However, I do like to think that it could be a situation anyone could be in: tense as a rattlesnake because it's a robbery to begin with and didn't end as expected, nervous with energy and trying to handle a cell phone to call the police. If I had been carrying my .32-20 Colt PPS, maybe things would have been different, or maybe I would have scratched my head with the muzzle and wound up a vegetable at best- in any case, I had my PGO Mossberg 500 (well, a Sears-Roebuck clone) and too little brain function to safely organize myself. I could have sat down, or put the safety on, or set the gun down before calling 911, or an infinite amount of other things, but I didn't. I was as preoccupied and mixed-up as I ought not to have been and I wound up unable to do the moonwalk ever again.

I was and am an example of less-than-stellar firearms safety, the four rules and all else, and if I'm going to be a bad example of all that and live on as "that shotgun guy" then I want the firearms community to understand a momentary lapse in judgement can result in some outstandingly crappy consequences. "If you screw up you gotta own up" is a good summation of what one must do when things like this occur, and I screwed up in the most dramatic, look-at-this-freakin'-guy way I could manage. Let it be a warning against using a PGO- unless you're a high-speed low-drag moto operator you probably don't need one- and a good story to remind folks of the power we carry in our weapons.

Also, try an keep your health insurance. If you do lose it, don't pick up a shotgun for the first 12 hours. Personal tip :P

I'm sorry the accident happened but I'm glad you had the determination to do what it took to survive.

Maybe others can learn from this and have a plan ahead of time for what they will do in similar circumstances.

MisfireMcCoy ~

Thanks for coming to TFL and for being brave enough to share your story.

The only thing worse than a bad mistake, is a bad mistake nobody learns anything from. Thanks for helping others stay safe.

pax

I am grateful you shared your story and I have passed it along to others I feel could learn from it.

Crap happens plain and simple.

After the fact you can second guess the events of what happened or what could have prevented the incident but bottom line accidents do happen, even to the well trained and prepared.

Misfire McCoy IMHO you are a very brave soul to stand up (no pun intended) take responsibility and to share this life altering event so other can learn from it.

That take guts and my hat is off to you young man.

May your recovery be swift and your heart filled with the joy of knowing that sharing of this although tragic event may have saved a life somewhere down the road.

Misfire McCoy

Thanks for sharing and giving us a graphic reminder of the dangers of the weapons we use.

Hope you will heal quickly and completely.

Very sorry for your accident... I certainly know how easily that can happen. I'm an avid hunter and have always tried to be extra cautious pulling up firearms into the tree stand or walking through the woods.

I enjoyed your positive spirit though this ordeal and hopefully your expierence will save someone else the pain and suffering of a AD. You are a talented writer and I plan to follow your page.

I hope you make a quick recovery and wish you the best.

Misfire- I wish you a speedy recovery. It takes a big man to admit their mistakes, and an even bigger man to do so on a public forum like this. Hopefully others will absorb some of the lessons.

A shotgun should be on safe till needed. Finger pushes safety off then to teh trigger. Practise it untill perfect or my Dad will whip ya as he whipped me till I got it right. Then and only then was I allowed to put a shell in teh chamber.

Well Dad is gone, but his lessons remain.

That is the trouble with the Mossberg. The safety is on top and the pistol grip makes it very difficult to manipulate it with any speed.

Deaf

if you violate the trigger discipline, you must still violate muzzle discipline before something terrible happens. he committed two obvious safety violations.

The unfortunate subject of this incident was courageous and generous enough to join us an explain in post 21 how it happened. I don't think we need to belabor the matter further.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back