Man faces jail for videotaping gun-waving cop

Putting aside the other issues for the time being, you must be a blithering idiot to drive a motorcycle in that manner on a Maryland highway, where you will encounter:

1) Some of the nation's most inattentive, incompetent motorists - who rarely if ever signal their intentions and for whom the notion of looking for motorcyclists is an entirely alien concept.

2) Aggressive? Nay! Rabid speed enforcement and a veritable blanket of laser and microwave coverage on essentially every high speed motorway in the state.

3) Judges who will rarely, if ever contemplate any sort of defense in traffic court (ie...hire an attorney if it makes you feel warm and fuzzy, but don't expect miracles when you're in the docket).

I thought you all knew by now it is against the laws to

photograph or record a police officer while they are doing their job....

I learned that, almost the hard way, over 8 years ago, in Hershey PA.

The only thing potentially worse is to take a picture of a Federal Building..

I messed up and 'got caught' taking pictures of an Amtrac train a few years back....

I see nothing wrong in what the officer did, other then possibly drawing to prevent the escape of a (dangerous and stupid) guy. Was it called for? I'm not going to second guess this one.
We don't have the full story, but this smells like cop-baiting. The guy just happened to have a camera operating while he was driving recklessly (and documenting it), and he just happened to get pulled over by an unmarked police car?

In any case, his driving patterns indicated a certain disregard for his own safety, as well as that of others.

Speaking as another motorcyclist (25+ years on two wheels) some of the comments have been spot-on and others less than accurate.

#1 - ride like an idiot, expect to get pulled over.
#2 - Popping wheelies on public roads is stupid - "exhibition of speed"
#3 - Excessive speeding gets you noticed by the wrong people -- in blue.

Now... did the rider warrant a stop? Sure. For what charges?
- Excessive speed: 80+ mph in a [65/70] mph zone.
- Exhibition of speed: i.e. popping wheelies.
- Failing to signal lane change x 4

Are any of those charges worthy of the display of a firearm?
Not unless behind the camera, someone had to take sudden evasive maneuvers because of the bike's actions (doubtful). Then we'd add reckless driving. (Statutes and charges vary state by state so I'm being general here).

Maryland law may differ, however I saw no flashing lights on the plainclothes officer's car. Not even 4-way flashers. This indicates it may have been his POV (personal car). The rider turns around a 3:01 to look at the car. This may have been in response to a car horn (or siren, we just don't know) -- but there were no emergency lights showing either. Not even headlights.

M/C rider's view
If a car honks it's horn and displays no warning lights behind me, then comes up in the manner this p/c cop did, of course I'm going to back up. His door is opening and I have no idea of his intentions. This could have easily been an angry Joe Sixpack with a baseball bat (or - as happened to me - a diving knife) about to commit ADW over the rider's behavior. Backing away is a reasonable and prudent precaution in this case.

At 3:15, the unmarked car pulls ahead and to the side of him. The driver door opens and a guy gets out (3:16). The motorcyclist appears to be backing away (on the bike)... This is when the officer draws his firearm (3:17) and orders the biker to get off the bike.

I'll politely disagree. On my playing of the video, the officer is clearly reaching for his sidearm at 3:16, even before he exits the car. In fact, his left foot is barely on the ground and you can see his right elbow sticking up. At 3:16+ his left foot is solidly on the ground, right foot still in the car, right hand on the weapon (out of sight) and left hand over the belt line.

In other words, the officer started drawing his gun the moment he turned his body to exit the car. This would have been before seeing the bike backing away.

Marked cruiser:
At the end, we see a glimpse of the marked unit. Again, no warning lights in the grille or roof. The stop did not even warrant the officer activating the front warning & stop lights (he may have activated his rear lights, which we cannot see).

Legalities and Review:
If the car (Chevy?) used by the p/c cop is not an agency vehicle but his personal car and/or he was off duty, then the officer is liable for any VC violations he made during the incident. This would include speeding, unsafe "lane change" (blocking the bike) and unlawful parking on a highway.

Since none of the rider's actions amounted to a felony (unless Maryland law is far different than other states regarding excessive speed) the most the officer can charge is a misdemeanor. Had the rider, focused on the "man with a gun" elected to flee the area before the officer ID'd himself the officer could not legally charge "evading" or "resisting", nor legally used his firearm.

Thus, the officer should be facing disciplinary action for removing his gun from his holster inappropriately. He should also be reprimanded for using his POV (or un-equipped vehicle) for a traffic stop and failure to properly identify himself.

Had it been me, about the 3rd frame of 3:16, as the unknown man is obviously reaching for a gun, he would have had 750 pounds of acellerating Honda Goldwing imprinting Dunlop Elite tire patterns over his body. I've been there before, but it was a guy pulling out a large diving knife on a city street and getting soundly "bumped" by the bike gave me time to ride a block away to phone PD.

Video recording:
The rider was arrested and charged with VC violations. Good. Maybe he'll wise up and live a few more years.

But it wasn't until weeks later that he posted the video on YouTube. And that is when police decided to raid his home, confiscate computers, cameras and other equipment and re-arrest him on "wiretapping" violations.

That's pure, unadulterated BS. If the instigating officer was the same one who stopped him, then the State Police ought to be hitting him with even more disciplinary actions, possibly termination. It would smack of a vengance prosecution. And the local DA ought to be questioned about his decision to prosecute such a case.

It is not unlawful to take photographs in any public space where you have a legal right to be present. This includes highways. In light of how some officers are prone to shoot claiming the subject failed to keep his hands away from his person, it would be unreasonable to expect the rider, facing a gun-toting officer to reach up to his helmet or to some recording device in his clothing to turn off the recording device. That would invite the potential use of deadly force.

The police cannot have it both ways. They cannot claim that their dashcams or other recording devices are legal, but the citizens recording the same event from their vehicle or persons is somehow a "violation of the officer's privacy" in a public place. In fact, officers should not have any expectation of privacy when dealing with citizens in any public place and only limited privacy within any building, including someone's home.

Point of order regarding
... At 1:07, we see the cop. At 2:26, the guy passes the unmarked car doing 80+ MPH. At 3:02, he looks back and the unmarked car is right behind him.
If the comments on YouTube are to be believed all three cars you mentioned are different vehicles. The video is mislabeled at 1:07 (acknowledged by the guy who labeled it).

Just wanted to clarify that. I would assume (for the sake of this discussion) the rider was not aware that the car was police nor that any of them were the same, as evidenced by his lack-of-pull-over when he came to a stop on the offramp, nor any attempt to blow past the stopped cars to outrun the police.

What did the motor cycle operator do to justify deadly physical force? Draw the firearm to prevent his escape?...escape from what?.. Traffic tickets?

There is no excuse... The Officer was wrong in just too many ways. I'm no COP basher... In fact I always give the individual officer the benifit of any doubt. But this was just wrong...

Also, if we were carrying, and someone cut off us off, and drew his gun, how many of us wouldn't have drawn our own gun?

The first thing he should have done is identify himself and shown his badge, not drawn his gun, and some time later identify himself, and not show his badge.

Obviously, the motorcycle driver backed up, he was probably afraid. He probably should have driven off.

I'll say the officer was wrong in drawing first and not identifying himself.
I willl say the tape should be allowed. It is a public place.
Hopefully, the child driving the bike hits a nice hard tree so he no longer puts innocent people in jeopardy for riding his bike like a child. One hundred plus, wheelies at around 60 plus. Just a death looking for a place to happen.

I have to plead guilty to a heavy foot while driving. Yes, I have hit 80 more times than I can count (sorry, LEO's). 127? That was asking to be stopped. However, the cop was plainclothes, with unmarked car, no blues or sirens, unless we missed sirens from late audio. I'd like to see details of how he pulled him over. If video was accurate, he pulled in front and forced him to stop. Didn't identify himself or show a badge, didn't ID himself until 3rd time ordering him off the bike. Could have been a road rage incident. I hope the cyclist didn't doctor the video to show only part of the story. As well, do many people now routinely video their trips as they drive somewhere? No one I know does.

As is, looks like we have 2 idiots trying to outdo each other.

Was the motorcycle rider an idiot for driving recklessly? You bet he was.

Was the cop an idiot for not identifying himself properly, possibly while not even on duty? You bet he was.

In the end, i think the biker deserves a whole sheaf of tickets. I think the cop needs to spend a few months behind a desk learning how to do his job again as well. Perhaps some anger managment classes?

How many of us would pull our CCW on an unidentified man who drew a gun on us? This cop put his life in danger, needlessly, and embarassed the profession of law inforcement. The average citizen would have no indication that this man was an Officer. He acts an apears like an angry average Joe with a bone to pick.

Idiots will always be idiots, but when your job gives you the right, and somtimes the duty to pull a gun on somone and fire it, you should be held to a higher standard. We're not talking about moping floors at McDonalds here.

As far as the wiretapping charge goes... Whatever happend to the first amendment? Police attemting to charge a man for filming something happening in public are abusing their powers, and they know it.

How many of us would pull our CCW on an unidentified man who drew a gun on us? This cop put his life in danger, needlessly, and embarassed the profession of law inforcement. The average citizen would have no indication that this man was an Officer. He acts an apears like an angry average Joe with a bone to pick.

Somebody comes towards me with a gun you better believe I'll pull mine. Any of us would. If we wouldn't, why bother carrying?

I looked into this because a motorcycle loving friend complained so much about it. The way I saw it, drawing the weapon was justified. He kept it at low ready and didn’t even point it at the driver. Maryland has a "shall never issue" policy for the normal citizen to CC. At least that was my experience and everyone else that was no LEO that ever applied for one. If the guy did have a gun and pulled it, I’m sure he would have been shot no doubt. I think MD has felony speeding laws, and if I remember correctly, most felony stops are done with the gun drawn. I don’t think the cop did anything wrong. The guy could have easily tried to hit him with his motor bike. Don't want to be treated like a criminal? Then don’t be one.

I don’t think it was an issue of Cop baiting either. The idiot just wanted to film his ultra cool motorcycle ride.

What is outrageous and ridiculous is the charges for filming the police officer. That is what everyone should be upset about. Why worry about questioning the actions of this officer when the even greater issue would be prevention of taping potential misdeeds of the police enacted by a state government.

That is the way that MD works though. Do something that they don’t like, and they will find a way to mess with you. I hate that state gov. The local governments suck too. I'm so glad I left.

video or audio

If I under stand it, Its OK to video tape where he is but not to audio tape? A technicality that should be changed. Still Some clown yelling , I am a cop. I don't know if thats clearly identifying. Anyone can yell I am a cop. See my earlyer post. BilCA is closest to right I think?

1. The guy on the bike had no time at all to break leather even if he had been carrying a weapon. To of tried would to of been shot by the officer.

2. The officer in the gray car acted just like an officer. I wouldn't have feared for my life, I would have been thinking, "This guy has training, he looks like a cop and talks like a cop, hell, he even carries his weapon like a cop. I'm busted." Doing 50+MPH over the speed limit might be a felony in MD. If not, it sure as hell should be!

3. The guy on the bike was driving like an idiot. The cop has probably had more than one instance of a meth head, coke head, etc... driving very aggressively in traffic.

4. I've ridden motorcycles for 24 years. The one time I got caught popping wheelies when I was stationed at Fort Ord, CA. was enough for me to stop doing them on public roads. Even when I did, I was never in traffic like that.

5. The cop ID'ed himself in plenty of time. His first priority is to ensure his personal safety. IE....make sure the rider isn't going to pull a weapon, try to take off on him, etc.

6. Within a few seconds, the cop had ID'ed himself as State Police. Within just a couple more, his weapon was holstered and you can clearly see his badge on his left hand side belt.

7. I've seen cops stop bank robbers, rapists and one time, a murderer while they were off duty, in their POV. One of these instances, the murder suspect IIRC, damaged the off-duty policeman's POV. His POV was paid for by the county he worked for. Officers are officers either on duty or off.

8. There's absolutely NO reason what so ever that a citizen can't tape a public event. What if this guy had made it home, the off-duty cop made it to the guys house and in the guys house, he had security camera's recording. That's not a public place, yet should also not be considered wire-tapping. I disagree with this law.

9. The cop should get disciplinary action for making a stop and pulling his weapon. It's obvious the guy on the M/C didn't have a weapon in view or in his hands, so the cop SHOULD have come out of his car with his ID/Badge in one hand and his other hand resting on his weapon. What if a car had backfired and caused this cop to shoot the guy? Stupid decisions by the rider and the cop. Having said that, I do NOT disagree with a cop doing his job even if off-duty. He should have called the cops on his cell phone and allowed them to make the stop. If there wasn't anyone close by, the cop in the median could have been working for a local PD, then he makes the stop and waits for an on-duty officer to arrive. He shouldn't have pulled his weapon at all IMHO. But I wouldn't try to bring criminal charges against him.

But it wasn't until weeks later that he posted the video on YouTube. And that is when police decided to raid his home, confiscate computers, cameras and other equipment and re-arrest him on "wiretapping" violations.
The police cannot have it both ways. They cannot claim that their dashcams or other recording devices are legal, but the citizens recording the same event from their vehicle or persons is somehow a "violation of the officer's privacy" in a public place.

I willl say the tape should be allowed. It is a public place.

As far as the wiretapping charge goes... Whatever happend to the first amendment? Police attemting to charge a man for filming something happening in public are abusing their powers, and they know it.

What is outrageous and ridiculous is the charges for filming the police officer. That is what everyone should be upset about. Why worry about questioning the actions of this officer when the even greater issue would be prevention of taping potential misdeeds of the police enacted by a state government.

This is not about the cop. It is not about what he did or didn't do.

This is about a law that MD prosecutors are using to stifle the first amendment rights of its citizens. BillCA said it best, in the portion I bolded, above.

So many of you are concentrating on what happened to cause the stop and that immediate aftermath, that you've failed to see the actual civil rights violation.

More and more, the citizens of America are being surveilled by governmental authorities, under the claim that it is a public place and you have no expectation of privacy.

More and more these same governments do not want the(ir) citizen(s) to surveil them in return, using often contradictory and circulatory arguments.

^^Well said, Al. That really is the main point here.

What is the status of this? Are the MD prosecutors proceeding with charges under the anti-wiretapping statute, despite the MD AG's opinion that the law does not apply in this situation?

If this is the same guy/incident that I think it is, it's been discussed at length on Reason.com and Radley Balko's blog, The Agitator.

I believe the cyclist's last name is Graber. There's also a Facebook page supporting him on the 'wiretapping' bit.

I believe MD is one of the few states to require consent of both parties for recording a conversation to be legal. The law was intended for telephone conversations, but is now being used to cover video recording of cops doing their public jobs in public places.

IMO, any citizen should be able to record, audio and/or video, any public employee, law enforcement or otherwise, while that employee is doing their job, especially if that job involves any interaction with that citizen.

Al, I appreciate what you're saying but if you'll kindly reread my first post I make it clear there are two issues here. One, the one you'd like us to focus on, is the one that has caught national attention. As it should. I'm glad for that, and I agree with you 100% in your opinions on the matter.

But I posted this story here at TFL because of a secondary issue; a weapon was drawn and a potentially life threatening situation ensued. The point of this post was to discuss the secondary issue, with fellow responsible firearm owners and advocates.

In my mind, while you're absolutely correct at the first issue is far and away the most important, that doesn't necessitate an avoidance of the secondary issue... especially in a thread started for the purposes of focusing on it.

The Maryland A.G. has released an opinion that there is likely no expectation of privacy for police in a public area, such as a street, highway or similar areas.

See this link for the story

The A.G.'s opinion should carry some weight with the courts and/or at least cause them to examine the scope of the statute. One comparison is valid -- if the statute prohibits recording people in public without both parties consenting, then why are news stations not prosecuted for video taping protesters or routine police activities?

Back