Making black powder?

Thanks for the tip.

Here is a link:

http://www.hobbychemicalsupply.com/servlet/the-160/Black-Powder-Kit/Detail

They say:

Black Powder Kit for making your own black powder. This kit contains all the chemicals you need to produce your own black powder. With this kit you can easily make black powder that is faster and more powerful than commercially available black powder. I don't provide instructions on how to make your own black powder, Google can help with that, but I will tell you that a properly charged ball mill is the key for fast powerful black powder.

Here is what you get with the Black Powder Kit:
5 lbs. of our milled Potassium Nitrate with no anti-cake added. A $15 value.
1 lbs. of our airfloat charcoal. A $3.25 value
1 lb. of sulfur. A $4.50 value.

That is enough chemicals to make over 6 1/2 lbs. of good, fast black powder. Buy it as a kit and save.

That's $20 plus shipping for me of $13.90 for 6.5 pounds of powder, or $33.90 total, or $5.22 per pound.

I'm paying over $20 a pound right now.

I may have to give this a go.

Steve

That's $20 plus shipping for me of $13.90 for 6.5 pounds of powder, or $33.90 total, or $5.22 per pound.

I'm paying over $20 a pound right now.

I may have to give this a go.

Don't overlook what he said about the ball mill. Even if you spend another 30 or 40 bucks for a Harbor Freight rock tumbler, you're still saving money.

Best info on the net for making BP

Cast Boolits has the best thread on the net for making home made
black powder.Theres a guy that goes by Fly that has helped so many.

He can tell you were to buy stuff & makes black willow charcoal which
is the best.He also is a fireworks maker & yea Harbor Freight ball mills
are what most of us use..:D

Last edited:
Get the harbor freight 6 pound tumbler (2 drum model) but only mill with 1 drum. Also speed up the tumbler by turning duct tape on the rod. The drum needs to turn about 90 rpm.

yep get the double tumbler , its stronger then the single . also as was said use one drum for makeing your powder . i save the other drum for tumbling round balls

HF has a smaller single drum tumbler that works well for that tumbling brass .
while both the double drum and single drum are cheep , what i like is that the drums are very solid rubber. So when tumbling round balls I don’t even have to add any polishing medium . Just let the lead roll on themselves .
Draw back that I have found with mine is that both like to eat drive belts and every now and then I have to scuff up the outside of the drums so that they will turn without slipping .

Whew. Last night I stopped by our local gun store, the only place in town that sells black powder, and bought 5 pounds of 3F Goex. $26 a pound. With tax it was almost $150.

I'm seriously thinking of giving this home-made stuff a go.

Steve

You can have 5 lbs delivered to your door for 24.40 a lb, or have 10 lbs delivered
for 19.05 a lb. from Powder Inc. This includes shipping and haz-mat fee.

i would disagree i read that memorandum and I see nothing concerning the manufacturing unless you intent is to resell or distribute . In which case you have been required for some time to have an explosive license . A certified BTF inspected bunker ……………..

But on the other hand the fed can spin it any way they want . They make the laws and thus define the intent of the laws , the meaning of the wording.
But you can call your local field office and ask . I did that a couple years ago and was told that there were no laws against making BP for your own personal use . BUT if for some reason your got checked and was suspected of manufacturing with intent to resale , distribute or for the intent of manufacturing an explosive device , that’s when you crossed the line and then committed a crime . Also state laws my differ so. But past all that .
Locally most all of us get out powder from a licensed Goex distributor . The last order we got was 14.00lb in cans , 13.00 lb in bags .
Im very sure that’s not cost pricing either. So now I ask you all this . Why is it that you all back east are paying 25-30 lb and we are paying 14 after shipping it clear across the US to the distributor ? ?

Here is a list of distributors on the Goex web site . Find one near you and give them a call .
http://goexpowder.com/distributors.html

i would disagree i read that memorandum and I see nothing concerning the manufacturing unless you intent is to resell or distribute .

Well, it says:

Except for certain criminal offenses, Federal law, 18 U.S.C 845(a)(5), excepts the purchase and possession of black powder from the Federal explosives laws and regulations provided all of the following conditions are met:

(1) the black powder is commercially manufactured;
(2) the quantity of black powder does not exceed 50 pounds; and
(3) the black powder is intended to be used in antique firearms or antique devices soley for sporting, recreational, or cultural purposes..

I underlined "possession".

So the way I read that, it must be commercially manufactured, otherwise you need an explosives permit.

Steve

Ha Ha beleave what you want, but if you do not sell it & it's
for your own use, then yes it is legal.Check the longest thread
on the net, on castboolits.
TT:D

So the way I read that, it must be commercially manufactured, otherwise you need an explosives permit.

No because it says persons engaged in the business of manufacturing So if you're not manufacturing to sell you're ok.

Back