Make your BP revolver look old!!!

I know a guy that rubbed down a brand new winchester with steel wool to make it look more "authentic" :eek: :barf:
I cant get into it, if they wear from use thats one thing but I would just about cry if you scratched my gun.
Is it a BP thing?

The way I figure is, new guns get scratched too easy. If you want to keep 100% bluing you might as well never fire it, just keep it in the safe.

I was going to do that with this 1860 Colt replica. Well one day I put a big gouge in the finish trying to punch out the barrel wedge. That was the end of the nice finish. From there it was, "anything goes".

I might brown or blue a modern firearm too, if it got messed up that way. I guess it would depend.

I know a guy that rubbed down a brand new winchester with steel wool to make it look more "authentic"
I cant get into it, if they wear from use thats one thing but I would just about cry if you scratched my gun.
Is it a BP thing?

It's a individual thing. Some folks want there repros to look like guns that are 100 years old, some don't. I wouldn't take the finish off a new gun but I wouldn't cry over a few scratches either. They were made to be used and mine do get used. What I really don't understand is some of the SASS shooters age their guns when in the time period they portray the guns would have been new.:confused:

100 years ago the guns didn't look like that. They were new.

When they were new.

In the old, old days a lot of guns came with a brown finish instead of blue.

Also, I found out from experience, an old gun with a blued finish in a cold slightly damp area can get a brown finish. Set for 15 years and it can turn. I don't know what does it, not all guns turn but a lot do. Well a lot depends on the blueing but the older blues seem more prone to it.

I have an old 22 rifle, it was blue but now it is a nice plum brown. I think it didn't pit because it was oiled real good when put away.

If a bp revolver was had for 15-20 years, and used a lot, I'd wager it could turn out lookin' antiqued. But, either way I think it looks neat. :D

Looks great, 44. We're doing the metal work right now and will hopefully be finishing in a couple weeks. We're going to leave the '61 Sherriff alone since it came blued and antique my '51 Navy. I'll keep you posted with pics when I get it done.

Personally, I like 'ugly' guns, guns with character. I buy lots of used guns, very seldom new. I would never take steel wool to a new gun to make it look used, but I would probably buy one someone else did (don't ask me to explain that one). Scratches just come with the territory. I spent a ton of time finishing a new Boyd's stock for one of my Garands last year and put a huge gouge in the rear handguard putting the clip on. I was pretty ticked when I did it but now I just live with it, no big deal.

I dunno, Bill, maybe 90 years ago, after riding around in an open leather holster or in a saddle bag for 10 years, they started to look like that?

Make your 58 look old

Hey Hawwg, I like the look of your 58 it looks cool.
I think i might brown my 58 to, nice pic's guys.

Long Rider.:D

Back