Makarov?

Thanks fellows, I can't believe all of the positive posts. I don't think I ever seen that many positive posts without a single negative comeback in the whole bunch.You have about got me convinced to try one. Nevada

I was going to be a smarta$$ and put a non-positive comment about the Mak just to break up the party, but I can't do it. I enjoy my Bulgie milsurp too much, it would never forgive me if I made a bad comment.

It is my understanding that the Bulgies are not c&r eligible...is this correct? Does anyone know of a place that does have c&r eligible Maks (E. German possibly) at a decent price? My c&r should be here any month now, come on ATF.

iv'e been shooting s&b 9x18. i think i'm paying about $130 a case at the shows, so it's slightly more than 9mm parabellum. very reliable and consistant. i don't think it's as hot as russian stuff, runs cleaner, reloadable, brass cased, non corrosive.

kdub

Only Russian Military and East German Maks are C&R eligible. I know SOG sells EGs for cheap, but I don't have their contact info on hand. Pick up an issue of Shotgun News, though - they have multiple ads in each issue.

Mak

If all goes well, I should have mine in a couple of weeks.

Unissued Bulgie. My dealer is getting it from J&G, as
Aim Surplus is out right now.

Oweno,

I've tried both the LVE and TCW (Wolf?) ammo, and the LVE was by far the most consistant!

My chrono results for five shot strings, are as follows.

VEL ES SD

997.8 227 82.5 TCW White box (note the spread!)

959.2 83.2 30.2 LVE Green box

I'm now using my own handloads, which are twice as accurate as the factory ammo, and less expense!

Bill

Twice as accurate ? Wow, I have had all my shots touching in one ragged hole with the green box stuff at 25 yards. More accurate than that and we are approaching a serious match bullseye gun. I was in a gun shop the other day picking up 500 rounds of ammo for my Makarov. One of the other customers said he had a Mak barrel press, dies, a bunch of brass, bullets and loaded ammo that he would give me since he no longer had the gun. Now I wonder how often I can bug him about it without being rude. When someone makes an offer like that, it is all I can do to keep from saying; how far away do you live, I'll wait here. He got rid of the gun because he was getting bitten by the slide. He must have really big hands because they never bothered me whereas the Walthers eat my hands up.

Wow, that's a generous offer!

I think you should call him. Tell him your ready to try reloading 9X18, and does the offer still stand? :)

Your getting those kind of groups from LVE? I must admit that I didn't bench rest any of that green box ammo, because I only bought a couple boxes.

The TCW was grouping about twice the size of my handloads indoors, and I'm sure it was because this batch had such a terrible Extreme Velocity Spread. Note that the figures I posted for TCW show a 227 fps velocity spread, for a five shot string! I've got to get back to the outdoor range one of these days, to chrono some more strings.

Bill

Owen,

You shold try some of the commercial ammo, and compare accuracy. Better yet, try handloading.

The only one I've tried is Fiocchi, as they gave me a couple boxes with the Mak. I didn't test it for accuracy, but it seemed to group well enough offhand.

Just sent for the Wolff spring set for my Mak. You will probably need a new slide spring after a few thousand rounds, as the originals do lose tension. Pay attention to how far the empties are ejected. When the distance you have to chase them increases, it's a sign of a weakening spring. The recoil will also increase when it gets to the point that the frame is being hammered.

Have fun, it's a great little gun!

Bill

Nevada,
I am surely glad to see that you have seen the light. I have a commerical Russian Mak (IJ-70) chambered for .380ACP.
Even though it now resides in the glove box of my truck in it's role as backup pistol, it is still the only weapon that I have drawn in order to protect my family. It will never leave me. :)

You can pay a lot of money and still get a gun that isn't as good as a Makarov. I have a Bulgy and just love it.
Jim Hall

Back