makarov to 9x19?

If it was easy to change the barrel I might try it [9.2x19 loaded to Makorov specs using Luger brass]. I like my CZ82 too much to screw it up, plus it's in my HD rotation, loaded with Silver bear HP's. (it may get promoted to a carry gun if I get the right holster for it -- or determine that the military holster I have conceals good enough)

Sure would be nice to not have to trim all those cases and try to find them all after I finish shooting. If I wasn't such a cheap b****** I would buy a thousand new Starline 9x18 cases and be done with it. (but then where would be the fun of bitching about all the case trimming? ;)

Last edited:
No, the 9x18 was as much pressure as the Soviets wanted to go in a blowback.

Unless you want the slide firing into your face.

"though you're a little generous in some places."
Mike - I'm not refuting your reloading supplies/tool costs figures. What I am saying is that I shoot a lot of milsurp (whose cost approaches .15/round), and have access to other reloaders' products that are cheap, reliable, and consistent for under $15/box of 50. The few high-cost-per-round calibers I shoot (8x56R, 7.5x55) can be difficult (ergo expensive) to locate brass and bullets for. This alters the break-even point to more than your 14 boxes of reloads. But as I said in my prior post -
Even if we move your numbers to calculate 20 boxes to break even (original ammo $15, some new brass [not all is going to be reloadable], manuals, not going low-ball on the components), that's not bad.

I also understand that, as a hobby, reloading doesn't have to pay for itself - cost is not the only reason reloaders reload.;)

AH... Gotcha.

I was focusing my response on common handgun rounds; I consider the 9mm Mak to be a fairly common round.

Reloading for many rifle rounds, depending on the bullet chosen, is getting to be frighteningly expensive. Some of the relatively common rifle bullets are now upwards .50 cents a piece.

As for surplus, I'm beginning to think that the best days of the surplus market may be behind us, unfortunately.

The difference in pressure between the 9x19 and the 9x18 is between 13,000 to 15,000 cup, (the 9x19 is 35,000 cup and the 9x18 is between 21,000 to 23,000 cup). As you can clearly see that is a significant difference. Not only would it ruin a perfectly good Makarov, but someone would likely be injured as well!

If you're trying to acquire a 9x19 on a severe budget look for a used Ruger, a Chinese Tokarev, or any number of other used 9x19's that will be available. Or for that matter for $300. (or a little less) you should be able to even find a new KelTec PF9 if you want a small 9x19.

Best of luck to you with your endeavor though!

Dave

BTW, for about $350. (or a little more) you could grab a Dillon Square Deal progressive press all set up for your caliber of choice and be ready to roll your own for the caliber(s) you have on hand! Just a thought! :)

Last edited:
Like everyone else has said, 9x19 is unsafe for the Makarov. Bear used to make some 105grain ammo for the Makarov (they still might make it but I don't know for sure) that really was pushing the limits for the Mak. I bought a 21# main spring for one of mine and put on a Pierce grip so it would be comfortable to shoot but in the end I concluded 105grain is too much for a Makarov.

Best Makarov ammo IMO, hot reloads of Hornady XTP. Very accurate with good expansion and depth penetration while being comfortable to shoot and well within the design limits of the weapon.

Bear used to make some 105grain ammo for the Makarov

I remember that stuff. I was drawing up plans for a 1911 modification to shoot it but the supply dried up so fast, I figured they only brought in maybe one container load of it.

Back