MAK ACCURACY ? FANTASTIC!!

Thanks for the info on the Beast Slide Stephen...I'm thinking about getting one.

Felt recoil being something different to everyone...the Mak didn't kick as hard as other 9mms I've shot (Glocks, Rugers, Browning HP, etc.) to me. I then put a Pierce Grip on it and it made it feel even better....very good $12 spent.

The Makarov is mighty cool, but it could be better, gosh darn it! The 9x18 is just silly. The producers of it should get with the program and chamber one for 9x19 like the rest of the entire world. Im already overextended as far as calibers are concerned, and I'm not going to go through the trouble of getting new sets of components and stuff to own an almost 9mm. A polymer frame would be make it even more carryable, and possibly allow for a double stack.

Ok, thats my Christmas wishlist! Now if some beloved company wants to make it, I think it would sell like hotcakes.

makarov, 9 x 18 complaints

GlockGlockler:

Couple of points, for your thoughts:

1. The 9mm Makarov, so-called isn't 9mm, actually it is 9.25mm (approximately). One could, if they wanted to so do, make useable brass for the Makarov from 9mm Luger cases, though these days, I can't see why anyone would want to bother. The Makarov handles lead bullets quite well, something that not all 9mm Luger pistols will do.
2. As for converting the Makerov to 9mm Luger loading, I suspect that chamber pressures would be to high for the design, which is blow back, not locked breach.
3. The Makarov round is fine, just the way it is, being somewhat more powerful than the .380 round (9mm Kurtz. Rumor has it that the cartridge was designed on the basis of the Russians wanting as hot a round as would function safely and RELIABLY, with reasonable accuracy and longevity, in for some reason or other, a BLOW BACK PISTOL. Who knows why they desired this, but they seem to have achieved the desired end. Hard to beat success.

I have seen a makarov in 9x19. it comprised of an appropriate 355 diameter barrel, and a fluted chamber. it shreads brass, but theoretically seemed functional. FYI

makarov variants

Bullfrog:

Thank you for the FYI. Didn't know that.

To previous poster, who asked about a "plastic framed model" that could have been double stack, there were some double stack Maks, I believe 13 rounds, including one "up the spout". They were, like the more common types, steel frame. I understand that the standard 8 round single col. magazines would work in them also.

Double Stack Makarov??? in 9x18??? or just .380

I've seen double stack magazine Makarovs in .380 but not in 9x18. Were there some made in 9x18 too?

Ok, then a question for 'yall. Do you Mak owners that carry same on a regular basis feel safe carrying with one in the pipe? I am seriously thinking about getting one, and may wish to carry it on my person. Whatcha think?

answer to your question

Tatters:

YES, however I do try to avoid dropping the pistol. Come to think of it, dropping any firearm is poor practice.

Tatters,
Yeah I carry my Mak with one in the chamber. I have the original Russian flap holster, so there is little chance of dropping it. But, in case anyone here is interested, I have dropped my Mak, onto the carpet. NO A.D.!!! It is a very safe design.:)

Back