Mainly just curiosity 460 weatherby maginum

I love his books and believe he was lucky that last 458 didn't lock the action up.
I think he did mange to blow up a Mauser in 458 Lott trying to shoot a croc with the rifle under water.

OK, now I'm wondering (and no expert on Weatherby history) they introduced the 460 in the late 50s (57?) did they always come with a brake??

I cannot now remember if the rifle I saw in the 70s had a brake or not. TO the best of my memory at this time, if it had a brake it was one that didn't "bulge" the barrel profile. Might have had holes in the barrel, I just can't remember.

So if someone out there knows the older MK V .460s, can you tell us if they always had a brake or if not, when that started??
The earliest ones had a built in brake that looked more like magnaporting than a real brake.

I shot a 458 Win mag without a brake. It hurt. It hurt my shoulder and gave me a headache. There is about as much chance that I would shoot a 460 Wby without a brake as there is that I would shoot a 50 BMG without a brake. Ain't happening.

Sometime late 70s, early 80s; a gun mag had a recoil test. They put black line on a concrete walk. Set a radio flyer wagon on the sidewalk, with front wheels on the black line.
Guy sits in wagon, holds rifle butt against back of wagon and pulls trigger. They measured how far the wagon rolled.

IIRC, ,30-30 was something like 4". .30-06 was 8". .300 Win Mag was 24"
They shot 12-15 calibers, finally getting to .460 Wby. The wagon went over 14'

Not that a wagon rolling relates to your felt recoil in any way; it does have a qualitative means of the degree of recoil. Nor does it differentiate the sharpness of the recoil, just shows the amount of push.

An interesting note, a 12 Ga slug and a 3" 000 buck were over 15'. No actual result, as the walk was 15' and then grass.

I am fairly certain, Weatherby did not offer a muzzle brake until mid to late 80s.

Sometime late 70s, early 80s; a gun mag had a recoil test. They put black line on a concrete walk. Set a radio flyer wagon on the sidewalk, with front wheels on the black line.
Guy sits in wagon, holds rifle butt against back of wagon and pulls trigger. They measured how far the wagon rolled.

IIRC, ,30-30 was something like 4". .30-06 was 8". .300 Win Mag was 24"
They shot 12-15 calibers, finally getting to .460 Wby. The wagon went over 14'

Not that a wagon rolling relates to your felt recoil in any way; it does have a qualitative means of the degree of recoil. Nor does it differentiate the sharpness of the recoil, just shows the amount of push.

An interesting note, a 12 Ga slug and a 3" 000 buck were over 15'. No actual result, as the walk was 15' and then grass.

I am fairly certain, Weatherby did not offer a muzzle brake until mid to late 80s.
I saw some early rifles with the port jobs. May have all been identical aftermarket, but all looked the same. Irf am not sure exactly the history.

When the porting began, i believe it was 6 holes around the barrel, in 3 sets
Crappy description

There was a hunter had booked an African Safari. Upon reaching camp, the PH took him to the rifle range to test fire his rifle and check zero on his scope.

After firing, he sees a rifle sitting in the rack. He asked if another was in camp?

The PH answered, " that is my .460 Wby. "

"Ohhhh, I've never seen one. Can I try a couple of shots?"

"No", the PH quickly responded.

The hunter was more than a little po'd, " I'm not good enough to shoot your rifle? "

The PH says, " I should explain. To replenish my ammo supply, it is a 90 mile trip to the store. The cartridges are $8 each and IF you were to fire that rifle, it would literally kick the $*** out of you and you would never touch it again. BUT, when we are in the bush and wounded rhino charges, you will pick it up and shoot like it was a .22."

He never got to shoot the .460.

Last edited:
My buddy Jimmy, from down at the range, says a 460 Weatherby magnum will loosen your teeth and rattle your jaw-line if you don't hold it just right. :eek: Jimmy says only a non-shooter WBY collector or a practicing masochist would want one. :rolleyes:

He's got a Mk V 300 WBY which he hunts with, ... hates the thing. So I guess he should know.

An interesting note, a 12 Ga slug and a 3" 000 buck were over 15'.
No actual result, as the walk was 15' and then grass.
I can personally guarantee the gentle reader that the 12ga -- at whatever commercial load -- doesn't come within spitting distance of a full-up lever-action 45-70 loadout... and not within a 10-ft pole's distance of a 460 Wthrby.

Jus' sayin'
;)

My buddy Jimmy, from down at the range, says a 460 Weatherby magnum will loosen your teeth and rattle your jaw-line if you don't hold it just right. :eek: Jimmy says only a non-shooter WBY collector or a practicing masochist would want one. :rolleyes:

He's got a Mk V 300 WBY which he hunts with, ... hates the thing. So I guess he should know.
I guess it all depends. A 460 with a brake is pleasant. I would imagine that one without a brake is more pleasant than getting gored by a Nyati or stomped by an Elephant. There is no need to have one in North America other than just the "want to" factor.

I can personally guarantee the gentle reader that the 12ga -- at whatever commercial load -- doesn't come within spitting distance of a full-up lever-action 45-70 loadout... and not within a 10-ft pole's distance of a 460 Wthrby.
Is this guarantee based on personal experience shooting them?
There's a good reason for that. The 300 delivers a very fast sharp kick and is still often encountered in non-braked models which are usually intended to be light-weight intermediate to long range hunting guns with excellent point blank range capabilities. I shoot them frequently so I find them to be no big deal, even the unbraked models, but it is a bit of a challenge to hold them right on target for a quick follow-up and spotting the fall of shot. The 300 remains Weatherby's most popular offering. If your friend really hated them--why would he hunt with them?

Last edited:
Yes on the 12ga 1680 fps 1 oz slug, and the 1886 45-70 at 350gr/1,900 fps. :)
I've also run 500gr at at 2,150 out of my heavy Ruger/African 458Win :cool:

I don't even want to think about 500gr at 2,600 out of a 460.
:eek:

Also ran across this in my notes....
525gr/~1,500fps on the bench / no big deal
Claims that 12ga slugs will knock you on your patooty are ... stuff of Hollywood.

Slug-shotgun-870.jpg

(Note: Standard 8-pt fold crimp)

I actually think a 460 Weatherby would be awesome! Weatherby doesn’t build it right.

I have a 458 Lott. That is an impressive rifle too. Mine is a Win 70 Safari based custom rifle. It has a 20” tube. It weighs about 9lbs. Loaded up with a strong load, it can be hard to handle. Glad it doesn’t have a scope!

That is a real punisher!

460 Weatherby in a proper rifle would be fun to shoot. Proper would be about 11 lbs, recoil reducer, straight grain walnut stock, 22” barrel, sling stud not on forearm.

Back