Magpul Art of the Dynamic Shotgun.

I think that ruling out Gunsite based on that one factor is a disservice to yourself. Please also consider that Gunsite is in the lineage of whole lot of respected shooting schools and instructors out there.

Their hopeless attachment to the 1911, testimony by former students, as well as many other absurd demonstrations on the Outdoor Channel has solidified my opinion of Gunsite.

I'm sure they have good visiting instructors and a nice facility. But there's better training options out there in my opinion.

IMHO... A firearm to be used in close, has to be able to be swung about it's role of house, or back yard shoot out makes that a given.

A shotgun is big and clumsy, can be grabbed by the in house criminal, much easier than a hi-cap pistol. Not sure on my home being ever attacked by a group, admittedly anything could happen. My Steyr AUG with a 16" Barrel, having a total length of 28" is real handy once the range starts to open up.

My Son had a contract of some 6 months duration, a large Jewelry Store.

Indoors with 9mm pistol, Glock 19 my favorite pistol. The major reason we were employed, the hang around group from the local hood. Sitting on vehicles, foul language, not appreciated by the Ladies at quitting time.

The first evening of this older bearded uniformed gent, with 12 gage pump, in both hands! Fixed that problem.

An 18" Mossberg Pump with SECURITY in 1" white letters on the black polymer butt-stock, was not too heavy for the 5 minutes I carried it!

I heard it well articulated by a local teen "The old dude got's a gage" he was correct, on both counts, after all.

dude, the pump action sound totally just scares the bad guys away. works every time :cool:

But seriously, I feel like a carbine is more versatile than a shotgun... And where the average civilian has little time or money to spare, focusing on a carbine will give you better bang for buck. Buy and practice with a shotgun of course, but my vote is focus on the carbine... And truth be told, I use a 9mm handgun for HD because the only carbine training I have so far is what I've watched on the Magpul Dynamic Carbine videos :p At least I realize that doesn't make me an expert...

And I'll be the first to admit I really really really don't like 12ga recoil on an 18in bbl pump...

Oh, and that first line was a joke if you missed that...

Reading through this thread it's apparent that some folks have already decided that there is one true way to skin this cat, I truly hope it works best for you all. At some point we all make decisions on what works best for us.

Also, for what it's worth, I don't know about Magpul, but most shotgun courses will allow you to run a 20 gauge if you're worried about beating yourself up.

Reading through this thread it's apparent that some folks have already decided that there is one true way to skin this cat,
Nothing wrong with having a personal preference, as long as you keep an open mind to other things...

OK thanks! Just when I was starting to come off of the high of co-instructing my first LEO Marksman/ Observer School, now I've got the shakes wanting to put the bolt gun away and go get the 930SPX out and blast away!

Judging from their videos, those guys do some seriously good training.

Back