Magnum Caliber SMG?

I think the KRISS is supposed to come out with a 10mm version this year. If they do, I'm sure they will make a full-auto version - it just won't be available to us.

I guess I can dream. It would be interesting. My cousin had a .357 mag lever action rifle. I always consider It the SMG of lever guns. ;)

Things are not always as they seem. The .454 Casull is definitely a rimmed cartridge. Not a very wide rim because, like its ancestor the .45 Colt, it doesn't take much rim to hold headspace in a rod ejection revolver. I don't know of a semiauto .454 but there might be one lurking out there. The Desert Eagle is made in magnums and .45 Colt... but nobody makes extension magazines for its rimmed calibers.

A SMG in a magnum caliber gives you Jeff Cooper's "Thumper"... if you leave it on semi.

I always thought an MP5 in 357 Sig would be a pretty nice pkg. Just rebarrel one of the 40sw ones and get to shooting.

The longer barrel of the MP5 would get that bullet really moving.

True 357 MAG ballistics with burst or full auto capabilities. Sounds like a winner to me

The closest I can think of would be a full auto AR with a short barrel chambered in .50 Beowulf or .458 SOCOM or something similar. I don't see rimmed rounds working well in a full auto for the reasons stated, unless maybe a belt feed.

There is also the 10mm, as stated. Magnum level cartridges out of a rifle length barrel often equate to intermediate rifle power ballistics or just shy, so it seems like what you're asking is more defined by how a cartridge is generally used than its actual capabilities.

Does anyone really believe there is any police or military interest in any new SMG, let alone the kind discussed here? Pure vaporware.

Jim

Does anyone really believe there is any police or military interest in any new SMG, let alone the kind discussed here? Pure vaporware.

Jim

No real need doesn't mean no real desire. Realistically an SMG is a dying breed with rifles in similar sizes now. The only real question with firearms is why not? Just like with science.

SMGs are simple and easy to produce because they are blowback. Blowback works OK with cartridges in the 9mm/.45 class, but with a .454 or a .44 Magnum, the bolt would have to weigh something like 10 pounds or the gun would have to have a locked breech. The former negates the small and light advantages of a sub gun, and the latter cancels the simple and cheap aspects.

Things may change, but with the availability of light carbines based on the AR-15 there would not seem to be any role for traditional SMG's in military or police use. If full rifle power is not needed, the 9mm carbines are available.

Jim

SMGs are simple and easy to produce because they are blowback. Blowback works OK with cartridges in the 9mm/.45 class, but with a .454 or a .44 Magnum, the bolt would have to weigh something like 10 pounds or the gun would have to have a locked breech. The former negates the small and light advantages of a sub gun, and the latter cancels the simple and cheap aspects.

Things may change, but with the availability of light carbines based on the AR-15 there would not seem to be any role for traditional SMG's in military or police use. If full rifle power is not needed, the 9mm carbines are available.

Jim

9mm carbines over SMGs? I understand why the magnum wouldn't really exist. But why go with a carbine in a pistol caliber? Accuracy?

Back