Magnification for 200-300 yard coyote shots?

Lots of people like super powered scopes. Others like low powered scopes. If it I was me I would look at some thing mid range. I like about 5 power.

I don't like to give advice. I much prefer to show examples of what I have done or what I have learned.

I've had no problem hitting prairie dogs to 300 yards with 7X. I've had no problem hitting a deer's neck at 25 yards with 2X and 3X--or in making a chest shot on a buck at 350 yards with 3X.

I've poked my .22 out the window and shot squirrels at 10 yards with 4X.

I have a Weaver K4 on my AR. I figure that if I can see the target, I can hit the target. So far, so good, for many and many a year.

IOW, I think folks worry too much over non-essential details.

Agree Art, if he is looking for just shooting at Game and target shooting. When you add in the mix of HD, IMHO, it should be optimized for that. If you miss a yote or a prairie rat, no big deal, you find another one and get that. If you have a marginalized rig biased towards hunting, the one time you need it save your life, not a good choice then. Sure, the chances that you may need to use an AR to save innocent life is pretty small, but IF you must, it better work. :eek:

My 2 coyote rifles are an AR in 223 with a 4 power Weaver, and a SAKO 222 Rem with a 4X-12X Redfield.
The 222 I usually keep on about 5-6 power. The K4 is not adjustable.

In the last 6 years I have killed more coyotes with my AR than I have with my SAKO.

I have killed a lot of them between 300 and 400 yards, so I have to agree with the gents here that say you need no more power than 4X for 300 yards or less.

Field of view is important, but magnification isn't so much.

Back