Magnesium... anyone with knowledge out there ???

I am with the folks who suggest wood. Shaved, it would be dry and could also be used as a fire starter, though not like magnesium. It would still be light weight and would give good support for the shells. Plastic will burn, but most plastics are hard to light, even if shaved.

Find a bit of room for a couple of BIC lighters and you should be able to start a fire anytime.

Jim

Am I the only one who is not making any connection at all between "shotgun shell holder" and "fire starter"?:confused:

How about you just use the box 12 gauge shells are sold in; remove one or two and insert a $2 magnesium fire starter that you can buy from Harbor Freight?

Ok... I'm a little bit of a prepper... not the over the top & off the deep end type of prepper, more of an emergency prepper... if one were trapped in a blizzard, swamped in a flash flood, or other condition that may cause you to need to spend the night ( or longer ) in the truck, or the woods, or ??? I keep a "stuff" bag in the truck, & this shotgun will be an addition to the "get home" bag... if everything were wet, I'm thinking about the ability to start a fire, it could be to keep warm, or cook the instant soups, or heat food, or boil water, cook some small game you may have shot or ???

main purpose would be to hold shot shells, but everything should be good for more than just one use, if it's going to be stashed in the truck for extended periods...

my original thought was the magnesium fire starters... if the shell holders we made of magnesium, you could start many fires on wet wood, with the high heat given off from burning magnesium shavings...

the shot shell box does not fit into the 2 pockets on the bag that holds the folding shotgun :)

I'd make the shell holder from some cheap plastic, and throw a few BIC lighters in for fires

You don't need a fancy fire starter when you have lighters

Back