Magic Knives - are there any?

I'm in California, home of the BIG folder. I dream of using two slabs of aluminum to do grips on a mutilated folder using an Ontario Black Wind Katana blade with most of the grip lopped off.

There's another way of getting a monster sub-4" blade combat folder: the Muskrat concept. A Muskrat is a two-locking-blade knife rigged "back to back", so you're doing both a forward-grip and reverse-grip hold. Potent with practice, and seriously intimidating. And legally there ain't squat they can do about it.

Rob, my understanding is that in a "good gun law state" like TN, it's highly unusual for the cops to still care about knife blade length limits once you've got a gun carry permit with background check, etc. True? Probably a "depends on the cop" thing?

Jim March

If you are carrying the gun, you are probably correct. but if you are visiting TN, I would suggest leaving your folding katanas at home. ;)

Most officers are not going to check a knife's length if they are concerned with establishing your handgun carry status. but the airport security guys and other places where the guns are already a no-no are definitely going to care.
Furthermore, I don't advocate relying on "what usually happens."... while I have done it and gotten away with it, I have also seen it go the other way. It would be a damn shame to have a CCW, be carrying a gun legally and yet still get charged with a felony weapons charge because you felt like you needed an extra inch or 2 of blade. Does not seem even close to being worth the risk to me.

Good information, thanks all. I just went to Reeve's site and like the look of his knives. The technical information sounds great, tho as a non engineer, my opinions might not be valid.

Special thanks to Rich and Jim for all of the information. GLV

Rich, I have looked at my Benchmade, and believe I can see the mechanism of lock failure, but it would help me, and others, if you would expain it to us. Thanks, GLV

George-
The mechanism of the failure eludes me, as it was discovered quite by accident. Actually, I was generous to Benchmade in describing my defeat of two of their knives.

A few months ago, due to the popularity of the AFCK on this and other Boards, I ordered another, thinking that I had simply come across a bad lot.

My cell phone guy was here at the time and did me a huge favor with a car phone. He admired the knife even after I showed him the functional flaw. He left with it...a present from me.

Forewarned is fourfingered? ;)
Rich

Rich,

Just saw this thread - don't come to CQC much but looks like I should. I don't particularly care for the AFCK much and, although I briefly looked at one at a gun show, I don't recall how the lock works (I assume linerlock?)

I've tried th BM CQC7 - yecch - too much handle for the blade (975 model) - still want to try the smaller version if I can find one (discontinued).

For my money the BM 910S Stryker is tops - handle design is fantastic - adjustable hinge pin allows opening with a flick of the wrist (I hardly ever touch the thumb disc). Have you tried your failure test on one? I can't imagine the linerlock failing but who knows.

Back