Mag 20 shooting class gp100

Be wary of the man with only one gun . . .

Train like you fight. Take your carry gun. I guess I think about things differently. I tailor my wardrobe to my edc not my edc to my wardrobe.

Be wary of the man with only one gun. He probably knows how to use it.

Post action
I enjoyed the class & accomplished what I wanted, I recommend it. Mag20 shooting seemed somewhat of a beginners + class but (all but one in my class were experienced shooters) I’m In my 70’s & needed help standing from kneeling (didn’t have my cane), but the old dog did learn some new tricks, & I shot well at the test phase.
My Ruger match champion wood grip caused pain in my arthritic hands so I could not use it for the class.
We had 2 relays and I had a folding table with ammo so reloading magazines was not a problem. I could have kept up with the course with moon clips, but because of arthritis used a H&K p30.

Course suggestions: I had a folding chair with side table + a folding table. My ammo / ears / mag loader were in a cooler to maintain a lower temp in the summer sunshine.
Hydrate hydrate hydrate in summer heat.

Post action
I enjoyed the class & accomplished what I wanted, I recommend it. Mag20 shooting seemed somewhat of a beginners + class but (all but one in my class were experienced shooters) I’m In my 70’s & needed help standing from kneeling (didn’t have my cane), but the old dog did learn some new tricks, & I shot well at the test phase.
My Ruger match champion wood grip caused pain in my arthritic hands so I could not use it for the class.
We had 2 relays and I had a folding table with ammo so reloading magazines was not a problem. I could have kept up with the course with moon clips, but because of arthritis used a H&K p30.

Course suggestions: I had a folding chair with side table + a folding table. My ammo / ears / mag loader were in a cooler to maintain a lower temp in the summer sunshine.
Hydrate hydrate hydrate in summer heat.

I say this in earnest, good on you. It’s “easy” to take a course when age and mobility aren’t issues. I have a lot of respect for those that get out there knowing their limitations and are still willing to work within them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Excellent!

You are entirely, absolutely correct about hydration. Staying hydrated is crucial - not only to performing well, but to staying on your feet/conscious and out of physical danger.

Years ago one of my colleagues who rides a bicycle in competition heard me complaining about getting home from a match and being puke-sick with headache and zero energy. He suggested electrolyte capsules, recommended a brand, and they have helped me enormously every Texas Summer since. Read the labels, there are high potassium ones if you are limiting sodium, but do try them when shooting or working in the heat. They can literally save your life.

The outside of my shooting coat gets white crust - dried salt - even through the sweatshirt worn underneath.

Glad you enjoyed the experience and I can only echo TunnelRat - I admire your willingness to pursue your goal in spite of 'could-be' excuses for holding back.

Have fun!

Back